• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

removing fine layer of sand from my 800 coils

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Truth1252 on TN was having problems with his 800 l not finding a silver dime buried 5" deep with his 6" coil.

A friend of his said clean your coil. And I thought, hmm, when did I clean my coils? Never removed the coil covers since I bought them last year.

I was surprised. a layer of fine sand on the bottom of the coils when I removed all the covers. (hint removing coil covers, use gloves and go gently around the perimeter.

Here is a photo of my stock coil sand pile that came from just one coil.

Now will this help? I am not sure but does not take much time. I wipe it down and blow it out with a can of compressed computer air in the strut honeycomb holes.

Attachments

• sand1.jpg
    sand1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 314
  • sand2.jpg
    sand2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 286
I had the same issue with sand in the coil cover only I had much more of it in mine, It really wreaked havoc with the Nox, At least it did with mine, Iv'e had mine go haywire 3 or 4 times enough that I sent it in to Minelab. They sent it back saying there were no problems with it, since getting it back I haven't had an issue but my confidence in it has dropped enough to always bring a backup detector with me.

I don't have a NOX but I use an Xcal at the beach and have had so much very fine sand get between the coil and cover that I had to take the cover off and wash the sand out. Machine was falsing like crazy. I also remove the cover and wash the coils on my machine after a beach hunt. And once in a while with my dirt machine. Yes I find fine dirt under the coil cover on it also

I don't have a NOX but I use an Xcal at the beach and have had so much very fine sand get between the coil and cover that I had to take the cover off and wash the sand out. Machine was falsing like crazy. I also remove the cover and wash the coils on my machine after a beach hunt. And once in a while with my dirt machine. Yes I find fine dirt under the coil cover on it also

if you have turn locks on your shaft, take them apart and clean them also. On my ATPro the sand and salt concreted and froze one of them off. Garrett told me to dremel it off and they sent me a new one free of charge.

I just go without a coil cover. I got tired of cleaning them out. I don't rub my coil on the sand when I swing either. The full time beach hunters find enough to pay for a new coil. The part time beach hunters will never wear a coil out. Taking them off and putting them on? Eventually they break or crack.

When I had an Excal, it would fill with sand between the coil and the cover and would false at the end of every swing. That drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Been hunting the beach for years and never use a cover, never had any coils issues.
After hunting pray it down and inspect if you think you see it getting worn coat the bottom with a thin layer of marine epoxy
Take them off eliminatates any issues with sand geting in between.

For the past few weeks, my VDI #'s have been a bit off. Did the factory upgrade again, and that helped. I think... Still wasn't pleased with the #'s matching what I would dig.

Then yesterday, I took the cover off the EQ 800 coil and found a lot of sand and dust. Ran up to Tractor Supply, bought a $10 can of truck bed liner spray and hit the bottom of the coil with layer after layer till the can was empty.

Took it out that afternoon and my VDI's rang true again. No cover for me. Just rinse and go...

I don't see an issue.

Just pop off the coil cover, which takes what? 2-3 seconds?

Rinse it under the tap for 2-5 seconds.

Either, do what i do and blast a bit of compressed air into the honeycomb bits of the coil.

Then put coil back on, maybe 2-4 seconds?

It's like saying "oh my god, I just walked on the beach, i got home and i had sand in my shoes"

Matt

Back
Top Bottom