Building a sand scoop

Some things are cheaper to make, some things aren't. Sand scoops definitely are if you scrounge around a little. I too had one built and I have $20.00 or less in it.

Real nice work there Flyin-lowe! I built one a few years back, out of an aluminum ice scoop and some scrap flat plate...I whipped it out on a concept in my head real fast and dirty just to test the idea, its all dovetailed and keyholed so it sort of holds itself together without any welding skills, just using a jig saw and a drill......Its still holding up after some hard years of duty...I need to build another and takes pics of the process and do a decent post..That 'alumaweld' didnt hold up, but I didnt need it afterall...
Mud

Attachments

• scoop 4.jpg
    scoop 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 371
  • scoop 5.jpg
    scoop 5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 378
Unfortunately I can't take credit for the actual build on my scoop. I got the piece of metal from a scrap year. A local black smith friend of mine cut the original shape. Then I took it to my local high school who has a CNC machine. They punched all the holes with that (to save the blacksmith a days time). Then I took it back to him and he bent it and welded it up.

I took the same machine shop class in high school so I am capable of doing the work but don't have any equipment of my own so I take many of my projects to the school. Free labor for me and the students usually like my off the wall projects that are always different then what they are normally doing.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the actual build on my scoop. I got the piece of metal from a scrap year. A local black smith friend of mine cut the original shape. Then I took it to my local high school who has a CNC machine. They punched all the holes with that (to save the blacksmith a days time). Then I took it back to him and he bent it and welded it up.

I took the same machine shop class in high school so I am capable of doing the work but don't have any equipment of my own so I take many of my projects to the school. Free labor for me and the students usually like my off the wall projects that are always different then what they are normally doing.

Good on ya for challenging the students! Scoops are not easy to build..they employ a lot of various skills to get right, all in a small package too...like a knife maker, certain skills and understanding required...
Mud

Real nice work there Flyin-lowe! I built one a few years back, out of an aluminum ice scoop and some scrap flat plate...I whipped it out on a concept in my head real fast and dirty just to test the idea, its all dovetailed and keyholed so it sort of holds itself together without any welding skills, just using a jig saw and a drill......Its still holding up after some hard years of duty...I need to build another and takes pics of the process and do a decent post..That 'alumaweld' didnt hold up, but I didnt need it afterall...
Mud

Nice job there I take it that aluminum shovel is for digging a bigger hole in case you missed it with the scoop.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom