Data loss

Vlad

Owner/Administrator
Admin
Guys and gals, I hate to say that we have lost some data. The crappy server we were on killed 2 hard drives.

I will be moving the forum on another server soon.

I'm terribly sorry, but at least they didn't lose everything.

Yep - I just had to re-register. Sorry to hear about the harddrive loses - guess they didn't have proper redundancy huh?

... and I'm a newb again! I was so excited to be promoted to junior too :(

Last edited:
I guess so... sorry guys

And this the most expensive service we ever used, while the other cheaper ones never had problems.

I'm glad the contract expires this month.

:D Thanks for the update Vlad! We'll make our way through this as we all support each other. This is THE FRIENDLY MEATAL DETECTING FORUM!:yes:
Looks like 11.21.07 is our newsest data? Lots of good finds to view still!:yes:

Sorry to hear about the loss. I have been in the computer industry since 1983. This is a scenario that repeats itself time and time again. I have learned the hard way that you are only as good as your last backup. We have great forum members they will fill the forums back up in no time with great tales of detecting. :yes: Hang in there!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I just relized this. I got on and I thought something looked fishy! Lol! I hope everything works out ok. Thanks admins for all you do!

I only recently found the forum, and registered this past weekend. Alas my single post is gone, but at least I can equal it with this one!

Thanks guys, I feel so bad for those who just joined and had to start over and for all the lost posts.

I mean they promise you daily backups and then tell you they were on the same hard drive... :mad:

Thank god they didn't lose all the data, I would have a heart attack if they did.

WOW I was afraid the firewall at work had finally decided to not let me on the site. I am so glad that is not the case, but sorry about the hard drive crash.

Hey I'm off to re-post my post from last night........................and so we start to rebuild!

Couldn't you get the hard-drive data mined to recuperate the backup file or the whole of data or what would be salvageable on the disks plateaus?

Thanks guys, I feel so bad for those who just joined and had to start over and for all the lost posts.

I mean they promise you daily backups and then tell you they were on the same hard drive... :mad:

Thank god they didn't lose all the data, I would have a heart attack if they did.

Wow, that is just total stupidity on their part. I have my servers at work all running on RAID 1 or RAID 5 volumes that get full backups to DLT-II tapes every night. I always keep a two week rotation of these nightly backups and archive one backup quarterly. Even with all of this, I know there's still potential for data loss, but there's only so much we can afford to do. But having the backups on the same drives is just ridiculous and is equivalent to having no backup at all. I would not consider them a professional IT company.

We guys Life goes on/Live and learn. You'd think the server would give you guys a year of free service for the troubles? But then i have my doubts that you'd take it. Better off switching to someone that has back-up.
Keepin the faith in the friendly metal detecting forum.

Im glad I was able to sign back in but i had almost 500 posts and now I have to start over again. :(:mad:

Back
Top Bottom