No Idea How to React

Philbyfile

Forum Supporter
I am fortunate enough to know a local developer who has bought up a number of properties for a project he is planning. I contacted him for permission to hunt the houses before demolition and he gladly granted it.

While I was at my first visit to the sites a truck pulled up and two older gentlemen got out. They introduced themselves as fellow MDers and told me they had seen me and wanted to say "Hello". They then proceeded to pull out their detectors and began hunting another of the properties I had permission to hunt.

I knew very well that I was the only person to have permission and here were these two guys poaching my sites. Just out of curiosity, how would you have handled this?

I would have asked them if they had permission to hunt there. And then I would have called your developer friend and asked him if anyone else had permission. But since you don't own the property it's not really your place to tell them to leave. That would need to come from your friend if he really doesn't want them there. You don't want to make enemies of them. Actually you might want to make friends with them. explain the situation with the permission and possibly make two new hunting buddies. They may have some good sites that they'll invite you to hunt if you invite them to hunt with you.

Yeah that would not have flown with me. My response would have been somewhere between Ice Scratchers and Soonerdgs. Personally I don't think I would want to detect in the future with someone that tried to pull that stunt (assuming they didn't have permission from the owner).

I like ice scratchers advice. I'd tell them that they need to get their own permission. Yours was was for you only. However, if they do contact the developer, and make a big deal about it, he could say to heck with all of you. Might be best to just hit it hard and fast while the gettin's good. I dunno. Tuff one. Good luck!!!

If I was your friend...

If I was your friend, I would appreciate a call or text letting me know that someone is on my land, and why they are there. I consider the "land owners" opinion, as the only opinion that matter's! So do the police, so do the laws.
Of course if there is one harsh word uttered, WALK AWAY. A picture of these gentlemen, and one of their licence plate is all the land owner and/or police need to explain the trespassing laws in your area.

I'd have enjoyed having others to hunt with. Wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

I'd have enjoyed having others to hunt with. Wouldn't have bothered me one bit.
Even if it didn't bother you, the landowner may have other ideas. If he thinks you brought them there you might lose your permission too. I would give him a call and ask him how he wants to handle it. That way you are covered.

Cliff

Even if it didn't bother you, the landowner may have other ideas. If he thinks you brought them there you might lose your permission too. I would give him a call and ask him how he wants to handle it. That way you are covered.

Cliff

I like this response the best so far! :D

Throw a frisbee and if one starts to chase it you know who it is you're dealing with :lol:

Anyway I'd check with the property owner it's his problem to deal with and not sure id want to buddy up with trespassers.

hijack: i own my own business now, but before was a trouble making kid. i got kicked out of school (long story, in short i told the principal to stick it where the sun dont shine). my first day at continuation school a guy came up and wanted to beat my @#$. after i talked my way out of it the guy who was sitting right next to me says, and i quote "ive got a pencil if you want to go shank him". after that day i turned my life around and at age 29 (13 years after that day)i opened my own store front.

un hijack, maybe they just saw you and think that wow what a great spot! having no idea that you went through the trouble of actually getting permission to hunt that site. you should inform them that you indeed have permission and that if they want to hunt there they need to do the same. of course they will need to give you 50% of there finds.

tom let me know about that part of the business. and finally i hope the grammar police are not here, cause i no they aient happy.

Throw a frisbee and if one starts to chase it you know who it is you're dealing with :lol:

Anyway I'd check with the property owner it's his problem to deal with and not sure id want to buddy up with trespassers.

O my god, that was hilarious....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I wouldn't worry about the other guys, and would just get mine before they got theirs! It's a RACE!:detector::woohoo:

Hard to say what I would have done. I have never hunted anywhere but parks and even so, I have rarely run into another MD'er in the field.

But, to me, it seems they would be trespassing if indeed you were sure they did not have the owners permission. I might have said something to them in that regards...??

I just can't say for sure...depends on how many silver coins I had dug before they got there....smiles.

HDD

Good one... Hope he returns the Frisbee better than my dog, I use it for plug dirt sometimes...

I'd ask the owner about it. He knows about you, so you get credit for what those other guys might do. Probably doesn't care too much, if he's going to demolish, but there are codes, and potential fines, before he gets his permit to do the work. Somebody after scrap metal, other things, might be putting the owner on the spot, and jeopardize your permission. Would also kind of suck, if they belonged to a club, decided this would be an awesome place for a club hunt. One weekend, and you'd be left with rusty iron and crusty zinc. Seriously though, if they are poaching, making a mess, it's your mess, far as the owner knows, unless you tell him before hand...

I would have informed them that I had permission and they need permission from the owner to be on his property. If they don't have permission and refused to leave I would be calling the owner to inform him about the situation.

If the owner found out that there were more people than just you, and he didn't hear from you, it makes it look like you lied to him and planned to have your friends come on his property without his knowledge.

It never hurts to have everyone on the same page in this type of situation.

Back
Top Bottom