Detecting Etiquette Question

FloridaDigger

I've only been at the hobby for about 8 months now and have only run into this twice but I have a question about what to do when you are hunting the same spot as someone else...

About two months ago I had plans to hit a small local park and when I pulled up there was an older gentleman swinging away right where I planned to go. I didn't get out of the car but was curious if I should have introduced myself or just leave...so I just left.

Yesterday I went to a small local beach and as I was walking over the dune to the beach I saw a guy walking with an Excal and a nice scoop. I have never seen another MDer at this beach but I didn't know what to do. I just went a little further down and started detecting the opposite way he was headed. He turned around at some point and we were within 30 yards of each other but no dialogue or gestures were exchanged. He eventually left before I did but I was curious if I should have approached him.

So, for the experienced members, is it proper to walk over to another MDer when you see one? I swing an ATPro and have never used an Excal but would have loved to have tried it...should I ask to try another detector or just compliment the owner? Is it OK to start detecting in the same general area?

Please share your thoughts and pet peeves of do's and don't see when it comes to other MDers!

You never know unless you ask. Who knows, you might be missing out on a great friendship and having someone to hunt with. On the other hand, many people are selfish and want to keep everything for themselves.....very territorial.

If you are like me, you will know real quick if they are a jerk or not.

If it's public land go for it. No one can lay claim to it, chances are he wasn't the first to discover the spot, or the last. I wouldn't take offense if someone else started detecting in the same park or beach as me, if anything I'd be curious to see what detector they were using and what they could find that I missed.

I will give a little wave or nod to see if the person feels like talking. Sometimes we (myself or the other person) are so into the "hunt" you just want to swing away! :D If they are still around I may go up later on as I leave to see how they did. Just try to read the situation as it comes up! Happy Hunting!

If it's public land go for it. No one can lay claim to it, chances are he wasn't the first to discover the spot, or the last. I wouldn't take offense if someone else started detecting in the same park or beach as me, if anything I'd be curious to see what detector they were using and what they could find that I missed.

True! As to what Coil says here!! Just give the other guys some space and try to determine the direction they may be heading. Many will come up to you to shoot the breeze. We are mostly a "Friendly" bunch!! :D

I always try and make contact with fellow detectorists if i see them in a park etc. Ive been known to stop and shoot the breeze for 5 or 10 minutes just to introduce myself, talk equipment etc. Once the initial brief anxiety of not knowing whose approaching them ,and realizing its just a fellow hobbyist, ive had some great conversations and met some nice folks. I dont waste their time too long, and if im there to detect the same park ill just say " good luck" and move to another area away from them. Its like going fishing and someone is at your spot, plenty of other spots to try, fun for all, thats how i look at it. Ive never met a fellow hobbyist who wasnt willing to talk shop. Luckily i havent been in a area where someone is detecting and tarnishing the image (leaving big holes, messy etc) if that was the case, maybe the conversation woudnt be so easy going as i would have to say something about courtesy and respect...So far it hasnt happened...Hey, if you see me out MDing,,stop by and say hi!

I give them space but most I've encountered are nice. I like to go meet everyone and blab a bit. Only once did I not get a peep out of an older couple swinging old detectors.:grin:

I always talk and introduce myself. Nobody will get it all and the people that think they do or can are not worth bothering with and you will find out fast if they are friendly or jerks.

I was hunting a beach in my hometown and there was another detectorist out there. He was heading to shore so I turned off my machine to go talk to him. We talked for a little while and like normal I looked down for a bit when he was detecting. I saw a circle in the clay and I said "What the heck?" I bent down and picked up a 1901 class ring. BOY did I piss him off. He will hardly talk to me now, he thinks I planted it!

Ohh well life goes on. Some of my spots that I rarely go to have 6 - 10 detectorists out there all at once. I know them all and they all know me. We are cordial but some refuse to say they found anything. I get a chuckle out of it. I think some feel if they say they don't find anything you will give up! LOL Not sure if that is the case but hey, you only live once. Enjoy and plunder!

I generally stop and chew the fat with anyone who is willing to talk when doing the dry sand, not so much in the water though. Fewer folks to talk with, most MDists I see are on the dry. One conversation led to a friendship and eventually I bought 2 detectors off of the guy. A White's Surf PI and a Minelab Sovereign Elite for $175.00 each. Both machines have paid for themselves many times over and got me the down payment on the E-Trac.

Read the signs, other MD'ists will generally speak with you and you never know what tidbits they will pass on. If they don't want to be bothered, you'll know.

I'll nod or wave, if they respond back I'll stop for a minute and say hi and maybe ask how they're doing.

I had a similar experience. Went to a little park on my lunch hour, saw two guys swinging. I had never seen anyone else metal detecting when I had been all over the town for a year. Wasn't about to pass on detecting, so while they hit the grass, I hit the tot-lot. Eventually one of the guys came over and introduced himself. Nice guy. Other guy never came over. They eventually left while I was still there. So no problems there.

Another time, I got to a lake beach really early. At some point 4 or 5 others started detecting. I got into the water to try and avoid them at first, but then decided to hit the dry sand. I just went where they were not. Sometimes we'd pass each other a bit. Talked with two of the ones brave enough to come near me ;). They were in a club and asked if I was interested (wasn't because their club was based out of Reno - too far).

I don't often see others detecting when I'm out. So it is sorta interesting when I do and I am sorta drawn to them and hope to actually chat a little

You never know unless you ask. Who knows, you might be missing out on a great friendship and having someone to hunt with. On the other hand, many people are selfish and want to keep everything for themselves.....very territorial.

If you are like me, you will know real quick if they are a jerk or not.

My thoughts exactly. :)

I Uusally stop and say hi, having any luck? That way you will know if they are willing to talk , if not start detecting but not close to them. I have lots of people ask questions and i will take a few minutes to explain what we do ,espically to kids. I will show them a exampe of what we find both trash and coins.

I haven't seen anyone else swinging while I was while I have been hunting yet. I think that I would give them room and if we cross paths then just give them a hello or nod and see if they are unterested in talking if not then I would go on with my merry little way.

I always try and make contact with fellow detectorists if i see them in a park etc. Ive been known to stop and shoot the breeze for 5 or 10 minutes just to introduce myself, talk equipment etc. Once the initial brief anxiety of not knowing whose approaching them ,and realizing its just a fellow hobbyist, ive had some great conversations and met some nice folks. I dont waste their time too long, and if im there to detect the same park ill just say " good luck" and move to another area away from them. Its like going fishing and someone is at your spot, plenty of other spots to try, fun for all, thats how i look at it. Ive never met a fellow hobbyist who wasnt willing to talk shop. Luckily i havent been in a area where someone is detecting and tarnishing the image (leaving big holes, messy etc) if that was the case, maybe the conversation woudnt be so easy going as i would have to say something about courtesy and respect...So far it hasnt happened...Hey, if you see me out MDing,,stop by and say hi!
dude no offense intended but if that's you in your avatar and I see you coming in my direction with a sharp lesche in your hands the parks yours .:D

At this point, I only hunt in parks where there are no "claims" involved. But I would respect the "space" the person is hunting in and find another part of the park to hunt. In my vast experience (18 months:lol:) I have learned that some of the more "unlikely" areas can produce a surprise or two.

Who knows, they may approach you later and strike up a conversation...?

HDD

Back
Top Bottom