Nail

martinfan30

How old is this t head nail? I know it's nothing spectacular but I live on an old ranch house built in 61. Makes me think there might be more in the back yard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 117
only t headed nail I know of works in a pneumatic nail gun---are you sure it's a t- nail? T-nails started being used in construction around 1970 I believe

After closer examination, it appears to be a rectangular head nail. Hard to tell of the shaft. The mid section of the shaft appears almost square. The rest of it is rusted pretty good.

Just was thinking this is a good indicator of an old site where I live.

That is not a T head nail. It is a square nail. That style was made from about 1810 to about 1910.

That is not a T head nail. It is a square nail. That style was made from about 1810 to about 1910.

Hmm, same thing my dad said.

Like I said, I think I will continue to hunt the back yard. Found a 70's SPAM can earlier lol

So far, my bounty hunter platinum is real keen on iron..

Square head nails are still used today. Square nails are still and have been used for a long time as concrete nails. They are a harder steel than regular nails and rust faster in the ground due to a higher carbon content in the steel.

Back
Top Bottom