No Idea How to React

They probably figured since someone was hunting there then it was ok for them too. Just tell them that you got permission and that they need to get permission too before hunting there or you may all lose the ability to hunt those sites. They may not leave and they may not care but tell it like it is. Just say you dont mind sharing the place but they need permission first and that you will need to inform the owner of whats going on so he dont decide to tell everybody no. I had the same thing happen to me before and when I told them they need to get permission they apologized and left , it might not always work out that way but sometimes it does.

I would have said to them "Oh, you guys know [your friend's name] too?" And no matter what they answered, I would be on the phone to him letting him know about what was going on. Getting their license plate is definitely a good idea in case anything gets damaged/vandalized.

That's definitely a little arrogant of them to just pull out their detectors and start along side you on private property. I feel they should have asked if it was okay with you if they joined. I also would have said something along the lines of saying you had permission to detect and to tell them to get lost in the most non rude way possible because like others said, making metal detector friends can be a good thing.

Did they look like this by chance?

simon n garfunkel.jpg

If so, how do they say it in the UK? "Pi** Off?" :D

Yeah get ahold of your friend and find out so you can run em off next time if you need too and maybe even hang up some no trespassing signs all around there. Hope it all goes well. :grin:

Thinking about this I would say the landowner is letting me hunt here do you know him too? On the other hand I once stopped where a guy was searching and I talked with him and he seemed ok with me being there so I whipped out my ATpro and searched also except not too close to him. He had a Tesoro and was doing quite well! I found no silver but he did. I was a bit late in coming there I guess.:off-topic:

that is pretty bold of them to md there wthout permission.... but they cold just b that stupid. Gettng them off now iff they don't have permisson may b a lttle harder now

If you have an AT Pro pick the biggest one and bend it right over his head! If you have a Minelab, hit him with the digger!
Tin

One thing that could, or should have been done is ask your friend if you are the only person he has granted permission to. If the answer is yes that's fine. If it's a no, then you can challenge whoever shows up and feel good that you are protecting your friends property. JMHO;)

that is pretty bold of them to md there wthout permission.... but they cold just b that stupid. Gettng them off now iff they don't have permisson may b a lttle harder now

We don't know that they didn't have permission though. The OP didn't ask the owner if they were allowed.

Pretty rude, but not my property, so I have no authority.

As they were getting out their detectors, I would have said, "Do you guys have permission to dig here, too?"

If they said, "No," I would have said "This isn't my property, so I can't give you permission. I got permission from the owner, but only for myself. You might want to think twice before trespassing."

If they continued to detect, well, nothing you can do.

tough situation....:mad:
Maybe make some new MD friends and they could show you some places?
what type of detectors were they using? were they Vets of this hobby or newbies? You may want to watch how they detect? are they filling in their plugs, loud, or rude,
If they seem to shadow or follow each other or spread out, One guy finding something, and the other comes over to help the other or look at what he's dug?........then picking up on his trail...?
That's when it time to go, or tell them you found some good coins elsewhere. :lol: (like between the rails on the busiest railroad track)

Back
Top Bottom