Funny permission story :

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Told this years ago, but it bears repeating :

A couple of buddies were going to be traveling through my part of the state, and wanted to stop by and get together for some md'ing. So we made the plans for the night they'd be stopping by my place to crash for the night, do some md'ing, etc....

I chose 2 locations to take them to: One was a furrowed ag. field where some 1820s to 1860s habitations had been. Currently just strawberry fields. I've pulled some reales and seateds and buttons from the location, so I thought maybe we could eek out something else.

The 2nd location we'd try was going to be an old town demolition site that I'd JUST read about in the newspaper. An old building was felled in a nearby town, and I'd been itching to get over and try the exposed dirt.

They showed up at my place of business and we were preparing to go. All of the sudden, my phone rang and I had a 45 min. business delay. So rather than hold up my friends, I told them: "Go on ahead of me, and I'll catch up to you when I finish with this ...".

The instructions for them to look at the strawberry field to see if it was fallow (plowed) or not. If it was full of crop, then of course we can't hit it. In which case they would progress to the 2nd location: The old-town demo. site.

About 25 min. after they left, my phone rang. They were saying "It's all dirt, it looks good, we're going in". I naturally assumed they were talking about the furrowed field. So I told them "Great. I'll see you there. If anyone says anything to you, tell them we have permission". Which was true of the strawberry field.

About 30 min. later, I'd gotten out of work, hit the road, and was at the strawberry field. Lo & behold, it's full of crop ! No dirt accessible to detect in. !!! ? My friends were nowhere to be seen. So I progressed on to the old-town demolition, in the nearby town. There they were ! Swinging away in the demolition site.

Turns out that when they'd see that the strawberry field wasn't fallow, they'd gone on to the demolition site. And THAT'S the site that they said was "dirt". Doh !

And they had been there no more than 10 minutes, when someone showed up and tried to scram them. But they proudly announced that they "had permission". The guy said "from who ??". They said "From Tom". The const. worker guy just scratched his head , had a sort of confused look, and said "ok". And left them to continue detecting.

When I heard my friend say this, I corrected him and told him that it was the strawberry field where I had permission. Not this demo. site. We got a good laugh out of that one. Perhaps there was someone else named "Tom" ? Who knows ?

Works for me. Next time someone tries to shoo me from a site, I'll just say "well, I have permission from Tom", :laughing:

From now on, "We've got permission from Tom" will be used across the nation. 30% per hunt where said permission is used. [emoji2957]

Back
Top Bottom