Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 PM

I find the Equinox fantastic in iron!!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Old 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Supporter

Default Handle ergonomic fix

I had an issue with the grip on day 1! My hand kept sliding up to the control head base and I wasn't happy. That said, I had some foam pipe insulation with an I.D. of the grip. I cut about a 1.25" wide piece of it and put it around the grip, at the base of the control head. I then put some 3M electrical tape around it (not tight, as not to compress the foam). Smaller hand? Just cut a little wider piece of foam.....It works wonders!
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by detectorben View post
I dont understand all the complaints about ergonomics of equinox. It is the easiest detector to swing and use I have ever used. I can swing it all day with no wrist soreness or fatigue.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Everyone is different, I can swing my M6 and MXT all day and feel no arm fatigue, Just holding the Nox for a few minutes starts to hurt my arm.
On my last hunt I kept stopping and placing the coil on the ground because My arm was hurting so bad.
I am going to try readjusting the rod, coil, arm cup, maybe add something to the grip and drink a protein shake and eat a powerbar before I hunt....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

Shorten the shaft.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bajanick View post
Everyone is different, I can swing my M6 and MXT all day and feel no arm fatigue, Just holding the Nox for a few minutes starts to hurt my arm.
On my last hunt I kept stopping and placing the coil on the ground because My arm was hurting so bad.
I am going to try readjusting the rod, coil, arm cup, maybe add something to the grip and drink a protein shake and eat a powerbar before I hunt....
I had exactly the same problem... if you shorten up the shaft and work closer to your feet, the problem will go away. That is ALL you will need to do IMHO.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:27 PM
Supporter

Then when you go down a slope lengthen the shaft then...

Old 02-28-2019, 06:53 AM

First I tried thr foam and tape idea. Did'nt like it. Then shortned the shaft and can go no problem. I do switch hands but I did that with my Vaquero.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by fuzzymaster View post
First I tried thr foam and tape idea. Did'nt like it. Then shortned the shaft and can go no problem. I do switch hands but I did that with my Vaquero.
I may shorten the shaft on mine. I was just concerned with the possibility of the metal eyelets on my boots effecting my detector. I like the longer shaft for getting under low limbs or bushes, but I may run it shorter and see how it goes. HH!

Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by medicchief View post
I had an issue with the grip on day 1! My hand kept sliding up to the control head base and I wasn't happy. That said, I had some foam pipe insulation with an I.D. of the grip. I cut about a 1.25" wide piece of it and put it around the grip, at the base of the control head. I then put some 3M electrical tape around it (not tight, as not to compress the foam). Smaller hand? Just cut a little wider piece of foam.....It works wonders!
I had the same issue for the first Month or so.. the control box used to dig into my Index finger.. Shortening the shaft seemed to Fix this for me.. either that or I built up a callous

Originally Posted by Mikey48 View post
I had exactly the same problem... if you shorten up the shaft and work closer to your feet, the problem will go away. That is ALL you will need to do IMHO.
+1 made all the difference in the world !

Originally Posted by medicchief View post
I may shorten the shaft on mine. I was just concerned with the possibility of the metal eyelets on my boots effecting my detector. I like the longer shaft for getting under low limbs or bushes, but I may run it shorter and see how it goes. HH!
I would try it.. what do you have to lose..

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (12) Wheats (78) Rings (18) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
About 50 tone numbers how do you get 50 tone numbers from 40 ID numbers? .
-9 to 40. Makro doesnít use negative numbers for fe.

Last edited by MuddyMo; 03-02-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
Shorten the shaft.
Originally Posted by Mikey48 View post
I shortened the shaft and moved the arm cup, seems to feel better just standing but have not had it out yet because Its raining (Again) here in So.Cal.

Stupid rain.......

Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bajanick View post
I shortened the shaft and moved the arm cup, seems to feel better just standing but have not had it out yet because Its raining (Again) here in So.Cal.

Stupid rain.......
We've got below zero windchill and bunches of deep frost... wanna swap?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 PM

I have two things on my Equinox I donít like. It only weighs 2 1/2 lbs but all the weight is in the coil making it feel much heavier, no balance. The other is the ears on the coil are much too thin, and will break. Over fighting the bolt trying to stop the coil from flopping around will stress the ears. The washers tend to flatten out causing you to tighten the bolts. The Etrac, ctx3030 and the NOX all share this problem. I love the NOX, I own two and they work on the beach.

Tags
equinox, improvements