A great day for me, and a treat for the forum members (picture heavy)

colebear

Elite Member
Ok so yesterday I went to a local school that was built in the late 1800's and struck out, so On the way hoem I stopped by the home of a friend of my dad's which was built in 1750. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself but the litt kids found out I was there and got so jazzed up that I ended up hunting with their assistance for almost 4 hours. We pulled a 1919 Merc and a 1920 Merc both in alright shape, 4 wheats (1916D-1919), and about 4 bucks in clad. However for some reason or another we only covered about 1/5th of the yard. So the mom told me that I should come back whenever I could to hunt the rest. Stoked!

Today I got up and nobody was home so I decided to head back across the street and finish up hunting the house that has been producing all of the silvers. I figured it would take about 2 hours to hunt and then I would go do some bushwacking so I could find the old bottle dump and get a couple keepers. Well it ended up taking me 3 hours to hunt but I found some goodies and didnt get to the bottle dump (which makes me happy because I now have another reason to go back). started off strong pullign a 1943 merc within 2 minutes of starting, followed by some clad and a couple odds and ends. About 45 minutes later I hit a 52 rosie, and another 30 minutes later I hit a large copper which I rushed home for an olive oil bath because nothing was legible. when i got back I continued on finding a few more wheats, a buff and some slag (no idea where those came from). I was making my way across the yard again when I got a nice strong quarter signal. I was skeptical because I had just finished digging 2 different pieces of scrap metal that had also rung up as quarters. I popped the plug and saw what appeared to be a badge sitting at the bottom of the hole but when I picked it up I realized that it was in fact an old coin pouch so I stashed it in my pocket before I had the urge to open it and continued on. Continued rather uneventfully for about an hour and got a questionable nickel range signal but decided to dig and boy am I glad! I ended up pulling a 1905 V nickel in great condition. I wrapped up and gunned it home to get some pictures for you all so we could open the pouch together. Haha

So here it goes
coinpouch.jpg

glimpseofsilver.jpg

coinpouchviewofsilver.jpg

coinpouchevenbetter.jpg

coinpouchthecontents.jpg

coinpouchsorted.jpg

The pouch included 1 dateless SLQ, 1 Merc '24, 3 Rosies '51,'54,'56 11 wheats and 4 nickels all early jeffersons

The days winners, the LC is soaking and is still illegible so I didnt include it
coinpouchplustherestoft.jpg

coinpouchplustotalandre.jpg

OH MAN what a day!!! Big congrats on all of that, and I think it's great you took all the pictures to show us opening the pouch. Way to go! I'd love to know what date that Large Cent turns out to be.

GREAT find, I'd have been too excited to take pics of opening the bag, thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Thats pouch is just awesome & sounds like you made some other great finds too.. Thanks for the pics of you opening the pouch!!...:wow:

Man that was awsome!
I really enjoyed the pics of you opening the coin purse!
What a thrill that must have been.
WTG! Thanks for sharing!

Jack from SE Virginia

Update: I found out one of the nickels was a war nickel 1943P so that makes 8 silvers in one day, I'll keep you guys updated on the LC

Back
Top Bottom