Getting snarky with the inquiries.

Walrus350

Elite Member
I always hunt at the beach and get asked at least 3 times every hunt, "what's the best thing you've ever found?", or, "do you ever find any gold?". (Of course I do!:laughing:)
I know people are genuinely just curious, but sometimes I see it as an invasion. I don't know why, or if I should really care, but I'm starting to get irritated. (This pirate just wants to loot in peace)
Last couple times I've actually responded with "my lawyer advised me not to say anything" and that got a few chuckles. But I really don't want to share. Sometimes people respond with "well, maybe I should get a detector". Kind of like it's a dare or threat to me and my booty.
Some people have general questions about the hobby and I try to help as much as I can, but I'm not there to be a teacher.
I try to be a good ambassador of the hobby but am at my wits end.
Today, one guy asked if I had found any gold and the followed me around (zombie). Luckily he had a dog and was told to get off the beach by a lifeguard. :lol:
This is one of the reasons I love hunting at night.
Any advice on how to handle the curious/nosy?

Well, if you REALLY don't want to have to respond at all, you could try wearing a T-shirt or sweatshirt with this on both the front and back :laughing:
(and if they are REALLY serious about considering detecting they'll check it out)
Tshirt_metaldetectingforum.jpg

The questions can get old in a hurry so if they don't leave me alone after a minute or so I give them the brush off and no longer respond. I share your feelings about being bothered.

I always hunt at the beach and get asked at least 3 times every hunt, "what's the best thing you've ever found?", or, "do you ever find any gold?". (Of course I do!:laughing:)
I know people are genuinely just curious, but sometimes I see it as an invasion. I don't know why, or if I should really care, but I'm starting to get irritated. (This pirate just wants to loot in peace)
Last couple times I've actually responded with "my lawyer advised me not to say anything" and that got a few chuckles. But I really don't want to share. Sometimes people respond with "well, maybe I should get a detector". Kind of like it's a dare or threat to me and my booty.
Some people have general questions about the hobby and I try to help as much as I can, but I'm not there to be a teacher.
I try to be a good ambassador of the hobby but am at my wits end.
Today, one guy asked if I had found any gold and the followed me around (zombie). Luckily he had a dog and was told to get off the beach by a lifeguard. :lol:
This is one of the reasons I love hunting at night.
Any advice on how to handle the curious/nosy?

You would absolutely go nuts detecting where I am in Asia. Nuts. Bonkers.
Not only do I get the questions but they do it holding up their cellphone.. then upload the video to their blog or qq or whatever it is. The more I say don't video me = the more they do it.. purposely to tick me off. Also they will stand right beside a hole I'm digging. Then grab whatever it is I just dug up. Lightning fast.
I've considered to start carrying a water gun with me are wearing a shirt with some writing or photos on it
Also after the videos get uploaded the next day I'm surrounded by "professional finders" aka "no jobs". I won't even post finds now because of this

When I am asked that question I normally reply I normally find just those "big old hunks of gold" and I laugh. This normally takes them off guard and ends the conference.

I don't mind talking for a few minutes, after that I excuse myself telling them I have to get back to work. I have had those chance encounters turn in to some good info on places to hunt and a couple of permissions, even got a cold beer once.

If they ask "what are you finding ?" , or "what's the best thing you've ever found ?" My response is always the same: "metal". If they say "what kind of metal ?", I say : "If it beeps, I dig". By that time, they can usually perceive that you're not wishing to chit-chat.

If it's a pretty girl, I'll stop to make small talk though, haha.

Here's another come-back line you can use: Ask them: "Did you loose $10,000 wrapped up in a rubber banded wad of bills ?" They say "yes ! did you find it ??". You answer: "No, but I found the rubber band if you want it back". :laughing:

I either act like I cant hear them or after a minute put my headphones back on and say I have to get busy have a nice day.

Now if it an attractive lady I might talk for a while longer. I cant help it if I am a dirty old man.

When I'm detecting, I typically go with humor, unless I'm willing to stop and chat.

For beach detecting, when people give me snarky comments, I give these answers to the following questions:

"What are you looking for?"
= Whatever I can find
= My Dignity
= Treasure, have a nice day!

"Have you ever found gold?"
= Always hoping, it's mostly trash
= Sure, but it's few and far between
= Not today!

"If you find any <gold/diamond rings/etc> it's mine!" (this is almost ALWAYS spoken from one person in a group, trying to be funny...)
= What did you lose? I'm happy to help
The above puts them on the "oh, now the focus is on me." They usually back of pretty quickly, because they didn't think the joke would be on them. If they don't, I say, "looks like you're having fun, I didn't mean to disturb. Have a nice day!"
= Based on the number of people who say that, I think I should be finding more gold! You folks have a nice day!
= Sure! happy to give you a nice price. *big smile* have a nice day!

"Why do you do that?"
= Because I like to be alone in my thoughts, have a nice day!
= It's just a hobby, and my wife isn't worried I'll ever get picked up by a woman. Have a nice day!

"What's the best find you've ever found?"
= Just what you'd expect. Gold with diamonds. My mom wears my nicest finds. Have a nice day!
= You name it, I've found it. Have a nice day!

"Can I help you dig?"
= No, I do this alone. Have a nice day!

"We're going to follow you around."
= No, I'm a stranger, and I don't like being followed. It's creepy. Have a nice day!
= That's a bad idea, because it looks like you're trying to mug me. I don't want to have to defend myself.
= The last thing you want to do is upset a strange dude with a metal detector, I recommend you go back to your parents, RIGHT NOW.
= If you get permission from the Beach authority, you can, but he's off duty until 8pm tonight. Sorry! have a nice day!

"Why do you do that?"
= I have nerve damage in my feet, and I have to get out and shuffle. It seemed like a perfect hobby.
= Same reason people do other hobbies. They like it.
= I find so much gold and silver, that I'm retired now. *pause for effect* No really, I find trash and about $2 an hour. Have a nice day!
= Because I lost my dignity, and I'm looking for it. Have a nice day!
= Trying to remove land mines. Gotta get back to work. Watch where you step!
= Looking for Aztec Gold.
= I'm looking for lost wedding rings to get them back to their owners. Have a nice day!

Wear headphones and act like it’s a pain to take off then answer and put them right back on. Just say “Yep” or Ignore them. Most common comment from friendly people trying to be funny- “If you find a gold ring it’s mine” Me- I’ll put you on the list....

You would absolutely go nuts detecting where I am in Asia. Nuts. Bonkers.
Not only do I get the questions but they do it holding up their cellphone.. then upload the video to their blog or qq or whatever it is. The more I say don't video me = the more they do it.. purposely to tick me off. Also they will stand right beside a hole I'm digging. Then grab whatever it is I just dug up. Lightning fast.
I've considered to start carrying a water gun with me are wearing a shirt with some writing or photos on it
Also after the videos get uploaded the next day I'm surrounded by "professional finders" aka "no jobs". I won't even post finds now because of this

WOW! Btw where do i find their videos? ;)

Usually the short answer/humor and turn back to detecting does the trick. If that's not enough, you need to hone your skills with a hard ignore mode, and a serious "Back off!" look. Skunk scent might work too...in fact, in Steve's case, a squirt gun with skunk scent might be justifiable. :lol:

When I'm detecting, I typically go with humor, unless I'm willing to stop and chat.

For beach detecting, when people give me snarky comments, I give these answers to the following questions:

"What are you looking for?"
= Whatever I can find
= My Dignity
= Treasure, have a nice day!

"Have you ever found gold?"
= Always hoping, it's mostly trash
= Sure, but it's few and far between
= Not today!

"If you find any <gold/diamond rings/etc> it's mine!" (this is almost ALWAYS spoken from one person in a group, trying to be funny...)
= What did you lose? I'm happy to help
The above puts them on the "oh, now the focus is on me." They usually back of pretty quickly, because they didn't think the joke would be on them. If they don't, I say, "looks like you're having fun, I didn't mean to disturb. Have a nice day!"
= Based on the number of people who say that, I think I should be finding more gold! You folks have a nice day!
= Sure! happy to give you a nice price. *big smile* have a nice day!

"Why do you do that?"
= Because I like to be alone in my thoughts, have a nice day!
= It's just a hobby, and my wife isn't worried I'll ever get picked up by a woman. Have a nice day!

"What's the best find you've ever found?"
= Just what you'd expect. Gold with diamonds. My mom wears my nicest finds. Have a nice day!
= You name it, I've found it. Have a nice day!

"Can I help you dig?"
= No, I do this alone. Have a nice day!

"We're going to follow you around."
= No, I'm a stranger, and I don't like being followed. It's creepy. Have a nice day!
= That's a bad idea, because it looks like you're trying to mug me. I don't want to have to defend myself.
= The last thing you want to do is upset a strange dude with a metal detector, I recommend you go back to your parents, RIGHT NOW.
= If you get permission from the Beach authority, you can, but he's off duty until 8pm tonight. Sorry! have a nice day!

"Why do you do that?"
= I have nerve damage in my feet, and I have to get out and shuffle. It seemed like a perfect hobby.
= Same reason people do other hobbies. They like it.
= I find so much gold and silver, that I'm retired now. *pause for effect* No really, I find trash and about $2 an hour. Have a nice day!
= Because I lost my dignity, and I'm looking for it. Have a nice day!
= Trying to remove land mines. Gotta get back to work. Watch where you step!
= Looking for Aztec Gold.
= I'm looking for lost wedding rings to get them back to their owners. Have a nice day!

When people say "if you find a ring, it's mine" I say "SWEET! How much of a reward are you offering?!"
Good advice.
Have a nice day! :lol:

Last edited:
When I am normally asked what is my best find ever I always reply, "my wife of 52 years".

Time for Zzzzzzz this side of the big water....:D

forum t-shirt

Well, if you REALLY don't want to have to respond at all, you could try wearing a T-shirt or sweatshirt with this on both the front and back :laughing:
(and if they are REALLY serious about considering detecting they'll check it out)
View attachment 436643

I would wear a shirt like that. I try to go out of my way to be friendly and answer questions about detecting in general , I have also got a few good suggestions on places to hunt that I had not known about. There are times when you only have a short time to hunt and it can cut into it,I used to do a lot of lunch hour hunts before retiring. I really hope that time used to share our hobby come back as good karma down the road.

The places I go there is usually no eye contact let alone any conversations.. I don't detect beaches due to this.. No offence but I just want to be left alone..

Back
Top Bottom