The Domesday book 1086

Doug

Elite Member
This farm & land is mentioned in the Domesday book although this farmhouse itself is mid 1500's.

Why Domesday?

"The Domesday Book is a great land survey from 1086, commissioned by William the Conqueror to assess the extent of the land and resources being owned in England at the time, and the extent of the taxes he could raise.

The information collected was recorded by hand in two huge books, in the space of around a year. William died before it was fully completed."

What information was collected.

"The Domesday Book provides extensive records of landholders, their tenants, the amount of land they owned, how many people occupied the land (villagers, smallholders, free men, slaves, etc.), the amounts of woodland, meadow, animals, fish and ploughs on the land (if there were any) and other resources, any buildings present (churches, castles, mills, salthouses, etc.), and the whole purpose of the survey - the value of the land and its assets, before the Norman Conquest, after it, and at the time of Domesday.

Some entries also chronicle disputes over who held land, some mention customary dues that had to be paid to the king, and entries for major towns include records of traders and number of houses.

However, the Domesday Book does not provide a
n accurate indication of the population of England towards the end of the 11th century."

The farmhouse.

uWiXNR6.jpg

Silver but no gold.

Aqv4yZX.jpg

Toy cannon.
1cpdWwh.jpg

Jeton is from Nuremberg.
7AzYoiA.jpg

Hammered silver coin.
XX3y6QN.jpg

Various finds, whistle top middle
MT8uFVF.jpg

Coins
4MVL6ql.jpg

Charles 1st 1625-49
0AFZyDO.jpg

Edward 1st 1272-1307.
wi7cpqL.jpg

Jeton made into a pendant C1586-1635.
QVW1W1L.jpg

George 6th Farthing.
SMMezPF.jpg

George 5th shilling.
fMFmjct.jpg

"An early button to the 14th Light Dragoons which later gained the Duchess Of York's Own title 1798-1830 and then the Kings title 1830-1861". Circa ​1776-1790.
gAaY2Bj.jpg

No idea!
qvobhmR.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on another bunch of fantastic finds Doug !

An open invitation -

When you get tired of digging those nasty 700 year old silver coins that you find seem to find all the time -
your invited to fly to the US and dig some clad Quarters with us :dash2:

Those are some quality finds Doug, and a great read. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

depending on the age of that alien pendant it could be proof aliens exist.:laughing:

Thank you.

Truly amazing what lies hidden in your soil!

Thank you. Its what keeps me going, I never know what is coming out of the ground next.

Great finds Doug. Congrats......:yes:

Thank you.

Doug, how many ways can we say....AMAZING!

Thank you.

Congrats on another bunch of fantastic finds Doug !

An open invitation -

When you get tired of digging those nasty 700 year old silver coins that you find seem to find all the time -
your invited to fly to the US and dig some clad Quarters with us :dash2:

Thank you.

I do dig a large amount of trash/rubbish in the form of unrecognisable coins, farm oitmentmenrt tubes, silver paper and all manner of pieces of metal.

I also dig around 50 to 70 pounds of lead over the course of a year which I sell through our local recycling centre and the proceeds is donated to our local hospice. $128 donated from lead found 2016/2017.

Although its the Domesday book is generally called the Doomsday book now, see below.

"It was written by an observer of the survey that "there was no single hide nor a yard of land, nor indeed one ox nor one cow nor one pig which was left out".

The grand and comprehensive scale on which the Domesday survey took place , and the irreversible nature of the information collected led people to compare it to the Last Judgement, or 'Doomsday', described in the Bible, when the deeds of Christians written in the Book of Life were to be placed before God for judgement.

This name was not adopted until the late 12th Century."

The reference to a 'hide' in the above text.

"The hide was an English unit of land measurement originally intended to represent the amount of land sufficient to support a household. It was traditionally taken to be 120 acres."

Thanks Doug!! I always learn so much from your posts!

Thanks Ron.

Great finds, as always. I was surprised at the definition of a hide, 120 acres to sustain 1 household, wow!

Thanks.

120 acres per family with no modern equipment and fertilisers with just an Ox and a wooden plough and hand sowing of seed may be just the right acreage?

Very nice finds!

Thanks.

That is a great day in my book! good job Doug.

Thanks Debby.

Back
Top Bottom