Hi from New Guy in Cincinnati, Ohio

cincydoug

Hi Folks! Thanks for this opportunity to be a part of this friendly forum.

I'm been in Cincinnati, Ohio for 8 years now and I'm getting back into metal detecting after not doing it for almost as long. I had a Fisher F4 a short while but sold it for financial reasons back then.

Now I'm lucky enough to be able to buy an XP Deus with WS4 and the 11" coil, Gray Goose headphones, the XP MI-6 pinpointer, and also the Deus HF Ellipical coil. All but the HF coil I should have arriving today, with the HF during the upcoming week. I'm very excited to give MD another try, and try to give the hobby its best shot (that I can afford).

My #1 goal, however, is getting off my ever heftier butt and get at least some exercise and movement outdoors. I'm thinking The Hunt will give me motivation I need. If I never come within light years of paying for my equipment with my finds, I think I'll be OK with that, but of course I hope for plenty of goodies from the ground.

I am especially big on doing historical research to target promising sites for detecting.

I welcome getting to know friendly people near and far!

I'm also a big fan of Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and I can even mangle my way through German and Spanish, so extra encouragement to people with such backgrounds or locations.

I plan to travel (again) to the UK and Ireland this summer or fall, and hope I can do some detecting there with a friendly local or more. I hope to travel to Germany in the next year or so too.

Thanks for reading my intro, and best regards to friendly metal detectorists wherever you may be!

-Doug

Welcome from "Parts Unknown" NY!

Last year I started to do history on the area's I MD and having fun finding what I call landmarks from old photos. It's a crazy rush to touch a spot that is in that old photo or find the remains of something.

GLHH !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind word of welcome, everyone!

Just completed my second half hour in the yard with the Deus. First half hour in the front yard got me the amazing find of a white PVC pipe! It was shallow and had either wires in it, a bracket nearby or there is still something good underneath it. Second half hour today, in the backyard, yielded a very crusty Lincoln memorial, which I will get the date on when I get the white vinegar.

So I have recovered about .005% of my investment so far! Woo hoo!

Well, anyway, I got off my butt and worked this lard ass a bit, so that and the fun of the hunt is worth it enough. And much more of the backyard -- and world -- still to hunt in!

Well, anyway, I got off my butt and worked this lard ass a bit, so that and the fun of the hunt is worth it enough. And much more of the backyard -- and world -- still to hunt in!

Yep. Metal detecting doesn't need to make any more financial sense than playing golf, fishing, going to the movies, or restoring old cars. Just because we find things that have value doesn't mean that's they only reason WHY we're doing it. Among other things, there's the research, travel, the hunt, mastery of skills, playing in the dirt, and identifying finds.

Back
Top Bottom