Gold #10, #11 & #12

My question is this. At what point does one decide to find owners of rings and such? The reason I ask is there was such hoopla, etc about trying to find the owner of the small ash urn with zero cash value that was found because of the "sentimental" value however a ring can have just as much sentimental value as an urn. I'm not knocking anything anyone does, believe me. I find plain unmarked wedding bands that you can't find the owner on however, if the piece is identifiable by a design and such, I try to find the owner. For instance, I just removed a listing on Craigs List for a womans wedding ring I found at the beach over a month ago. Desermia knows this as I was hunting with him the day I found it. It didn't have any inscription but the design was such that the person who lost it would know exactly if it is theres or not. Funny, people say all the time that there are so many "scammers" on CL however in the 5 years I've been doing this and posting finds on CL, I haven't had one "scammer". This is a great hobby and it offers great rewards. Since I don't need the money I'll gladly try and find the owner as it's just a loop of gold and will just be an addition to the pile if I can't find the owner.. Again, I reiterate, what anyone decides to do with their finds is their business and I'm not knocking anyone for what they do. Another example is Mark Desermia, who actually posts a picture of a cross and chain on Facebook he found at the beach and offers it up to the person who can tell him where they lost it. Great guy who can use the money from his finds yet still trys to find an owner when he can. Nice finds by the way Josh. Maybe I'l run into you at Siesta or the area sometime. I hunt a lot with Mark.

My question is this. At what point does one decide to find owners of rings and such? The reason I ask is there was such hoopla, etc about trying to find the owner of the small ash urn with zero cash value that was found because of the "sentimental" value however a ring can have just as much sentimental value as an urn. I'm not knocking anything anyone does, believe me. I find plain unmarked wedding bands that you can't find the owner on however, if the piece is identifiable by a design and such, I try to find the owner. For instance, I just removed a listing on Craigs List for a womans wedding ring I found at the beach over a month ago. Desermia knows this as I was hunting with him the day I found it. It didn't have any inscription but the design was such that the person who lost it would know exactly if it is theres or not. Funny, people say all the time that there are so many "scammers" on CL however in the 5 years I've been doing this and posting finds on CL, I haven't had one "scammer". This is a great hobby and it offers great rewards. Since I don't need the money I'll gladly try and find the owner as it's just a loop of gold and will just be an addition to the pile if I can't find the owner.. Again, I reiterate, what anyone decides to do with their finds is their business and I'm not knocking anyone for what they do. Another example is Mark Desermia, who actually posts a picture of a cross and chain on Facebook he found at the beach and offers it up to the person who can tell him where they lost it. Great guy who can use the money from his finds yet still trys to find an owner when he can. Nice finds by the way Josh. Maybe I'l run into you at Siesta or the area sometime. I hunt a lot with Mark.

Thanks Apolo, to answer your question, some people may get into this hobby to find/return rings, others to be a pirate. Personally, I'm the latter. If I find a ring that doesn't have a persons full name on it, or any distinguishable markings I'm keeping it... I work really hard finding lost rings and I feel like I've earned it. I'm not spending 30 hours a week walking around in the water with a metal detector for the fun of it, which, it is somewhat fun, but I'm doing it to find valuable metals/stones. I've found, and returned class rings, but a wedding band that only has the last name and wedding date of the person who lost it, or no markings whatsoever.. I'm not going out of my way to hunt down the person who lost it.

The way I see it is I spend a lot of money in gas, parking, my own time, etc... to find these rings, this time/money adds up quick. If I don't find a gold ring every 5-6 hunts I'm spending a lot of money for nothing. Also, if these people who lost their rings were so determined to find it, they'll post them on ring finder websites, or go out and buy their own detector and spend hours on end (like I do) hunting the area they lost it and get it back.

I'd also rather not draw attention to the items I've found/own by posting them on facebook and every lost/found site out there. That can easily draw unwanted attention from people who have negative intentions.

Back
Top Bottom