DFX ferrous filter video

great info and nice video

very interesting Detector could you try the nail length wise across the dime or even better yet the nail 2-3 inches over the dime would you still get the same results :D

I will try it length wise and let you know.

As far as the dime below the nail, it's good to about 2-3" below, beyond that you reach a point where the dime is so far away from the coil the nail overpowers the dime. If you have the dime 3" below the nail and you swing your coil 2-3" above the nail, you're looking at 5-6" from the coil to the dime. It's good down to a point where the dime signal becomes too weak to be seen past the nail. I have tried it down to 2-3" below and it picks it up fine.

I might add that I am using my standard tot lot program with no gain to PAG or AC Sens. If I were outside I could probably crank it up and hit the dime at 3 maybe 4" below, but that would be the limits.

Last edited:
Length wise got the same results with the exception of a little more break up when the nail is length wise on top of the dime. It is still a signal you would want to investigate.

I will say the nail is a rather big one. It is a hand forged nail found at the Fort Atkinson site. It is a bit bigger than most, but I figured it would make a good test.

naildime.jpg

Are you using mixed mode? What is the VDI for the coin by itself and with the nail on top? This looks like it could be a cumulative response rather than truly filtering out the iron. What mode are you using? 3,15,Best Data, Correlate? My guess is Mixed.

I'm using 15khz. The key is the discrimination settings. I accept from +93 down to -20, but I also accept -93 and reject +94 & +95. Gives great iron rejection yet any non iron target even below the nail will cause a positive response.

The VDI of the dime is 79, but with the nail on top I get a VDI around 30. Here is my tot lot program in both Excel and RTF, for those that don't have Excel.

http://www.detectorplace.com/detecting/totlot1.xls

http://www.detectorplace.com/detecting/totlot.rtf

coinnut and i have messed with masking of nails and targets but it seems that air tests are one thing and actual tests in the ground are another , i can get the same results as you in the video but it seems that the ground matrix puts enough confusion or strain on the discrimination part of the machine that you usually don't get the same results . now don't get me wrong i have found some really nice coins and relics in the same hole as iron bits and even nails , but i think the least amount of discrimination ,experience with the detector and a little luck has alot in play here . i too accept all the way to -40 and some of those iffy targets you really have to work to get just a hint of a possible tone that you would want to dig . i think the iron nulls are the worst as far as hiding targets it seems the machine can't recover quick enough .hey this is good info to share , maybe between the few of us we can all get some good out of this .
Dan

I too have been able to pull goodies from holes with iron, but the one thing that seems to overpower everything is rusty nails IN the ground... that halo effect it produces is just brutal... it will ring strong in the upper VDI range and even have a strong grouping of positive signagraph bars more so then ferrous bars and can be quite the lil bugger. The sound is what keys me into em, they ring strong on the positive but have that "sputter" mixed in which gives em away. That mixing of VDI numbers can be confusing at times too, I pulled 4 wheaties out of a foundation site yesterday that all rang in the high 50's because of the overwhelming amount of iron close by... The 4x6" DD really helps along with a high recovery rate, but you sacrifice depth with these 2 items, those wheaties were all around 4"... any deeper and I would have probably missed em... The DFX is powerful for sure and a good iron masker but I'm sure I'm missing things still.... only way to know is to dig it all and in heavily rooted ground, no thanks lol.

Jeff Foster gave me this tip on dealing with deep square nails: turn off Graph Averaging. When Averaging is "on" a DEEP nail will emit a very nice sounding tone off the tip and sometimes there is no iron indication on the Signagraph. If you turn off Graph Averaging you can almost always see some small tell tale Signagraph bars at the far negative end of the scale. When Averaging is "on" these weak signals just don't have the umph to make the average requirements so they don't show on the graph. This work great.

Back
Top Bottom