Used CTX3030 - Is it too old?

curious1

Found someone selling a barely used CTX 3030 that they bought in December 2012. Have the CTX's changed that much since then?

I dont think so. The ctx was supposed to have updates available to download every few months and I think there has only been a couple since it came out. Therr y also had issues with not being sealed properly but idont think they ever fixed it. the only drawback i see from buying one that old is it probably doesn't h have warranty left. Never had one, just going from what i have heard over the years so if i am wrong dont quote me and call me an idiot!

Found someone selling a barely used CTX 3030 that they bought in December 2012. Have the CTX's changed that much since then?

I boughtopinionine used to me only thing I didnt pay another 1000 for was the warranty it did have some bangs n knicks but hell I still find alot of silver with it Just my opinion

As far as I know all CTXs are the same. There's one or 2, I forget updates, to the units via internet. Some folks had leak problems, and most leaks were being caused by folks not cleaning the thin rubber seal and its channel (battery compartment)after taking into the water. Some even started using diver's grease on the seal and in the track after they cleaned, after say a water hunt. A used CTX if can be had for the right price is ok, just remember older units will have less/no warranty and repairs can be costly. IMO for water hunting the AT Pro is better choice (cheaper). So if something goes seriously wrong, you won't be out of a pile of loot. For land hunting the CTX is excellent. Also, when buying used CTXs, IMO I would stay away from unit I suspected had been exposed/submerged in salt water, I would be leery of unit submerged in freshwater too, just not as concerned as salt water. If it was up to me, I wouldn't buy one that'a been under water period. My unit never has been and won't be as long as it belongs to me. Good luck

if its less than 3 years old it still has a warranty. As far as never buying a waterproof machine thats been used in the water I have to lolol...
If it has any warrantybleft I wouldnt hesitate to buy used and save some cash...I dont think I would buy one with no warranty left though unless you are getting a really good deal and arent afraid to take the chance to spend hundreds with minelab if something does fail...just my opinion

Used CTXs give me pause. They have had issues; cracked housings, misunderstood battery seals/leaks. How do you know it hasn't baked in a car trunk for 100+ summer days for after work detecting? Then, what are they asking for it? Is this a trusted seller?

If I was buying a used CTX off of Ebay or random craigslist ad, even in perfect physical condition and on warranty, I would apply used video card rules. 50% of MAP retail, max. Personally, in that scenario I could never bring myself to pay more than $1,000, even on warranty.

If it was from a trusted seller, someone I know, or a forum member I trust, I would pay a $1,500 if it had 2 years of warranty left and it included everything in the package sold with the detector like pinpointer, quality stainless scoop, Minelab harness etc.

I dont think you are going to find a used ctx for $1000:laughing::laughing::laughing: I would buy every one I could find if even close to that and have no problem flipping them for a profit...

THE Problem

After the 3 year warranty expires, Your Minelabs cash :gettinmoney: magnet, repairs & parts are high dollar on the CTX, this is why people try to sell them before the warranty expires, the same way with the 2 year- ( Excalibur 2s), sell, buy a new , or even a updated model, that's how it works, happy hunting, Earl

Buying ANYTHING used is a !!!! shoot. Whether it be cars, TVs, or metal detectors. Not just the 3030, but any metal detector ever made has had a problem at one time or another. Quality control has been in downward spiral for the last 20 years or so. The more components you add to something the more it fails. It is almost as much of a risk buying something brand new as it is used. We live in a disposable world folks, the life expectancy of anything is not anywhere near what is was as little as 20 years ago. Washing machines, TVs, etc, used to last 30 years. Now, if you are lucky enough to have it function properly right out of the box you MIGHT get 2 or 3 years out of them. It is funny, somehow we have all just accepted this, we should be ashamed of ourselves.

After the 3 year warranty expires, Your Minelabs cash :gettinmoney: magnet, repairs & parts are high dollar on the CTX, this is why people try to sell them before the warranty expires, the same way with the 2 year- ( Excalibur 2s), sell, buy a new , or even a updated model, that's how it works, happy hunting, Earl

I hope that's not the case.... I guess it's kind of like driving an exotic car, everyone dreams of it until it's time for service. I doubt Jiffy Lube is the best place for a Ferrari oil change. I agree with Bart, if you can see it in hand before paying, and it checks out. Why not save some cash. I know I'm really enjoying this amazing machine so far.

Been there done that

With the Excalibur 2s, as far as the CTX3030 goes, going by past issue's from other member's, on repairs, good luck with yours, you will need it, but mark my words, most buy new, induce the 3 year warranty, then dump both the Excal green machines & Ctx3030s before the warranty expires ,than buy new again, and or upgrade, I will tell you this Minelab continues to raise prices ,on higher end machines, if you step back and see, the higher price tag machines along with extras are higher, the same goes for the repair costs, HIGHER, have a nice day, Earl

Back
Top Bottom