Beach Detector Question

dockmur

I know some will think I'm crazy, but I hate my CZ20...to darn heavy. I want to "downgrade" to another detector. I don't dive with it, I don't even wade with it. Ankle deep for the most part is it. Area I go to is limited to north of the Redneck Riviera (Myrtle Beach) to Sunset Beach NC. Since I would like to stick with a Tesoro, I'm looking at the Sand and Tiger Sharks...leaning towards the Sand Shark. Anyone have experience with these detectors?

Sand Shark of those two as the Tiger Shark is for fresh water.
Have you considered trying to find a new or used Sov GT?

I have a Sand Shark and use it exclusively at the beach but thoroughly enjoy it. Once you get it balanced it's not a challenge to swing and it definitely has earned its keep. I bought it used on eBay and have been amazed at how long a set of batteries last in it.
BUT, if you shop eBay be advised when I was searching eBay was swamped with a Chinese knock off labeled simply Sand Shark. Very similar logo too. So be sure you see Tesoro as part of the name.

Sand Shark of those two as the Tiger Shark is for fresh water.
Have you considered trying to find a new or used Sov GT?

I thought that was the case with the Tiger, good to get confirmation. Haven't considered any other brand, I'm a keep it simple beep and dig novice. Farmers hire me to prepare their fields for planting. :D

I have a Sand Shark and use it exclusively at the beach but thoroughly enjoy it. Once you get it balanced it's not a challenge to swing and it definitely has earned its keep. I bought it used on eBay and have been amazed at how long a set of batteries last in it.
BUT, if you shop eBay be advised when I was searching eBay was swamped with a Chinese knock off labeled simply Sand Shark. Very similar logo too. So be sure you see Tesoro as part of the name.

That's what I want to hear! I'll be buying new from a reputable dealer, thanks for the warning about the chicom knockoffs...never would have guessed that they cant even leave metal detectors alone.

before you do something like downgrading.

Take the control box off the stick and belt mount or chest mount it.
Makes a world of difference. All you need is the clip. sold a lot of places.

Yea, I tried the belt clip once...didn't like it. To me having the control attached to me and the cord running to the pole was cumbersome. Just me I guess, I know some guys love them.

Any beach machine worth swinging will be around 5 lbs. Excal is 4.6 lbs but you can get a straight shaft and mount the housing underneath to counterbalance.

You could do the same with the CZ but the pinpoint button won't be very accessible. If you mount the housing backwards, assuming enough cable, you could pinpoint with your off hand fairly easy I bet.
It doesn't have automatic ground tracking, so re-ground balancing will be a chore too.

I can't believe these companies go to all this trouble and mostly ignore ergonomics. Crazy.

Any beach machine worth swinging will be around 5 lbs. Excal is 4.6 lbs but you can get a straight shaft and mount the housing underneath to counterbalance.

You could do the same with the CZ but the pinpoint button won't be very accessible. If you mount the housing backwards, assuming enough cable, you could pinpoint with your off hand fairly easy I bet.
It doesn't have automatic ground tracking, so re-ground balancing will be a chore too.

I can't believe these companies go to all this trouble and mostly ignore ergonomics. Crazy.

Yea, your comment on the ergonomics is an understatement. The Sand Shark specs claim 4.5 lbs, and the CZ is 6 lbs, but to me and my bum shoulder it feels like 60 lbs after awhile. Maybe if I was hard core with beach hunting I would have a different outlook, but for the few time a year I use it I'm trying to keep it simple.

Yea, I tried the belt clip once...didn't like it. To me having the control attached to me and the cord running to the pole was cumbersome. Just me I guess, I know some guys love them.

I had that same feeling/issue with the Sov GT. At first I did not like it on my hip with the cord dangling out there, but got used to it. Works really well and the takes away the weight on the shaft.

Try the Pro-swing harness....it takes all the weight off your arm. Then you can swing a machine all-day, regardless of how much it weighs. :D

SS

I have a Sand Shark, I like it a lot. Now remember it's a PI machine , so you will be digging a lot. But over all i like that, i find a lot of good things by doing that. But on the other hand I'm gifted with clean beaches, low amounts of trash to deal with. Delaware and O.C. beaches. The SS is my water machine, I use a Whites coin master for the dry sand, it doe's a great job. I left my SS box on the shaft, it balances fine.:detector:

I know some will think I'm crazy, but I hate my CZ20...to darn heavy. I want to "downgrade" to another detector. I don't dive with it, I don't even wade with it. Ankle deep for the most part is it. Area I go to is limited to north of the Redneck Riviera (Myrtle Beach) to Sunset Beach NC. Since I would like to stick with a Tesoro, I'm looking at the Sand and Tiger Sharks...leaning towards the Sand Shark. Anyone have experience with these detectors?

Hello
The Tiger shark is a VLF at 12khz the Sand shark is pulse induction at 600PPS
My in laws are from VT, I found a 1802 flowing Hair large cent on their property.

Your right winters are brutal in VT

Back
Top Bottom