Feeling a little metal detecting jaded lately

North Shore

I'm kind of down on the hobby currently, it is probably somewhat of a product of my environment.

I'm in a rut/dry spell lately and it stinks that when you do find something really cool that is identifiable in the way of jewelry the expectation is to then do due diligence and try and return it.

Pretty much everywhere public in my area is blanketed as "no metal detecting" and I have too much of a conscience to go against that knowingly

If I have researched an area and I am allowed to be there, I have had multiple confrontations from other people and taken sh*t and grief which results in me leaving because it isn't worth having a cop come down or something even if I was in the right the cop would ask me to leave

I have a mental block to ask a complete stranger for permission to dig holes in their yard, it just feels like a difficult thing to do and unnatural, there is every reason for them to say no and how could I blame them.

This is a difficult hobby at times, my most recent hunts have been more or less aimless walks through the woods without any real researched old activity, just because I wanted to get out.

I don't think I'm going to magically feel like I need to stand my ground on a site that I know I'm allowed at, to be as belligerent as the person giving me grief to begin with, and I certainly won't start night hawking. Maybe I can work up the nerve to ask for permissions.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Not trying to have a pity party, I never post on social medias or forums to vent I'm moreso just curious to see what people have to say... I find more reasons not to go out and make more excuses to not go out these days, detecting has more negative vibes for me lately which I'm bummed out about

What types of sites in your area are designated as "No Metal Detecting" ?
There's a few here but not enough to make it hard to get out and detect.

A few of the towns in my county in MA have posted on the town website, I avoid those towns and catch grief from dog walkers in other communities and the like that I shouldn't be digging holes in their opinion and they're persistent. Happens all the time, it's probably a north east thing, I see youre in CT... Do you experience that as well?

I get how you're feeling. I haven't been able to go detecting anywhere without some one inevitably approaching me and wanting to talk or what ever. I would think me minding my own business with headphones on would send a message that i'm not really there for conversation. I don't bother asking permissions after the rudeness. I also quit posting pictures or descriptions or anything of my finds anymore. I get the jewelry thing also. I have returned jewelry when I have been asked to find lost items, other than that it goes in the box. Any way, How do you like the CTX? I got mine in October and love it. :cool:

I think most people would prefer not having to ask a total stranger if you can dig in their yard, so don't feel bad, it does seem to come easier for some than others.

I plan on later to try to get permissions from people I know, which hopefully might lead to other permissions.

If you have relatives, friends, co-workers, other people you know that you can ask for permission to detect it could at least be a start for now.

Another possibility for opening up an occasional permission is to let it be known that you are willing to trying to find missing rings in people's yards, then when they ask you what the fee is just say no fee but I'd appreciate being able to detect the rest of your property.

I get how you're feeling. I haven't been able to go detecting anywhere without some one inevitably approaching me and wanting to talk or what ever. I would think me minding my own business with headphones on would send a message that i'm not really there for conversation. I don't bother asking permissions after the rudeness. I also quit posting pictures or descriptions or anything of my finds anymore. I get the jewelry thing also. I have returned jewelry when I have been asked to find lost items, other than that it goes in the box. Any way, How do you like the CTX? I got mine in October and love it. :cool:

The ctx is great, it really opened up the limited sites I hunt so it was worth it to me. And I can go to beach in the dead winter so I can get out year round if I'm up for it

Start in your own neighborhood with asking permissions. Let the, know you live nearby but you don't need to give them your exact address. I think letting them know your local makes the detecting thing a little more palitable for them even if they don't know you. You will still get your share of no's but you need to shrug them off and go on to the next. My mindset is that of I get one yes for every ten no's I still feel successful. This is not an easy thing to do if your not a "people person" I know, but just don't take the no's personally. All my no's have been polite no's and I'm fine with that. That said I did have one the other day I went through the real east ate agent since it was up for sale and the agent gave me a little "what for" because a was a detector and wasn't interested in buy the house which she said dated to 1790. Turned out that she used to live and own land in North Carolina that was trespassed on by detectorist without permission and dug up numerous Civil War relics. That left a bad taste in her mouth understandably. In the end she appreciated me asking first and not just going onto the property but still a no at least from her but she said she would check with the owner for me but don't have high hopes. Another thread but the renegade detectorist make it hard for the rest of us eh.

Im about in the same boat. I have had several 4-5 hr hunts that yielded nothing from curb stripping to a lot that had a house from the 1800’s. Coming from fishing and hunting national forest when ever I felt like getting up and going out, I just cant get used to asking for permissions/ relying on other people to enjoy a hobby. I also dont like the people that I have dealt with so far. Its a long day when someones 2 cents is all you come home with. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few of the towns in my county in MA have posted on the town website, I avoid those towns and catch grief from dog walkers in other communities and the like that I shouldn't be digging holes in their opinion and they're persistent. Happens all the time, it's probably a north east thing, I see youre in CT... Do you experience that as well?

I've been kicked out of a couple parks by city workers, and a few altercations with nosey people, but I generally have zero issues hunting just about anywhere. What county are you in? People are going to have issues eventually, and when they do, I just move on and go somewhere else. MA is a great state to live in for this hobby, I wouldn't let anyone get in the way of enjoying yourself. If there are no by-laws in that specific town in regards to metal detecting, I just go for it, 99.9% of the time I have no issues.

Well, it's an ill wind that blows nobody good... now that the schools are *closed* due to the stay-at-home orders... I can detect the totlots!!

I've found many wonderful things in school playgrounds, including silver beads, silver earrings, coins, fidget spinners and even my first gold ring! Right now the weather id chilly, but once it warms a bit, I'm rarin' to go! I have a large grade school next door to my home! Gonna GIT them coins!

Sage(and if anyone bothers me... I'll cough!)Grouse

Well, it's an ill wind that blows nobody good... now that the schools are *closed* due to the stay-at-home orders... I can detect the totlots!!

I've found many wonderful things in school playgrounds, including silver beads, silver earrings, coins, fidget spinners and even my first gold ring! Right now the weather id chilly, but once it warms a bit, I'm rarin' to go! I have a large grade school next door to my home! Gonna GIT them coins!

Sage(and if anyone bothers me... I'll cough!)Grouse

Trouble is, schools have been closed for a while and the ones by me say they are probably just gonna call it a year (!). The school totlots that have neighbor kids that live nearby may still give fresh drops, but the ones outlying that kids are bused in to are gonna be dry all summer. :no: And none of 'em have exactly been founts of coins anyway lately.

A few of the towns in my county in MA have posted on the town website,...

And I have a sneaking suspicion of how that came-to-be in those towns. Care to take a guess ? :roll: I'll bet it was well-meaning sincere people before you that went in asking "Hi, Can I metal detect here in your parks ?" And sure as heck, someone invented a rule to invent the "pressing issue". The old "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine.

.... and catch grief from dog walkers in other communities and the like that I shouldn't be digging holes in their opinion and they're persistent. ....

Which is exactly why I do most all of my nice manicured park turf hunting at night these days. So peaceful. So serene.

t.

Pretty much everywhere public in my area is blanketed as "no metal detecting" and I have too much of a conscience to go against that knowingly

If I have researched an area and I am allowed to be there, I have had multiple confrontations from other people and taken sh*t and grief which results in me leaving because it isn't worth having a cop come down or something even if I was in the right the cop would ask me to leave

I won't detect any place with explicit no detecting rules either. I will get creative with public owned properties like condemned homes or any properties the local government has bought, like the 25 acres they are in the process of buying for a new jail.

If I am in an area where I am allowed to be and in the right I don't argue with any body that doesn't think I should be there. I lie to them, unless they are somebody official. Tell them you have permission from Tom and that you are looking for a crippled orphans cochlear implant, or Widow Johnson's wedding ring, my favorite is looking for evidence from a shooting. Tell them about the heroin addict that was caught burying needles like little punji sticks and that you are assisting the health department in their removal. Put it on thick enough and they will believe you or think you're crazy, either way they will leave you alone.

I've been kicked out of a couple parks by city workers, and a few altercations with nosey people, but I generally have zero issues hunting just about anywhere. What county are you in? People are going to have issues eventually, and when they do, I just move on and go somewhere else. MA is a great state to live in for this hobby, I wouldn't let anyone get in the way of enjoying yourself. If there are no by-laws in that specific town in regards to metal detecting, I just go for it, 99.9% of the time I have no issues.

I live in Essex county, lot of history here; Benedict Arnold stayed here for a period of time on his way to Canada, Salem Witch Trials, a lot of first period homes and Rev. war homes, Naumkeag trail too so alot of the wooded areas are protected because of the potential of native artifacts. Also a huge state hospital where the lobotomy was invented/widely experimented with and most likely haunted lol

I live in Essex county, lot of history here; Benedict Arnold stayed here for a period of time on his way to Canada, Salem Witch Trials, a lot of first period homes and Rev. war homes, Naumkeag trail too so alot of the wooded areas are protected because of the potential of native artifacts. Also a huge state hospital where the lobotomy was invented/widely experimented with and most likely haunted lol

I feel your frustration NS, This area does have a lot of history but almost everything is privately owned and being so close to Boston means ALL these properties are worth a fortune. I've been at this hobby for 5 years now and still have never had a private permission. It's tough to look at all the colonial properties here and then feel good about hunting a 1950s schoolyard due to lack of better places to go. When this whole shelter at home thing is lifted maybe we can get together for a hunt and put some ideas together for some new places to explore. Until then stay safe my friend!

I feel your frustration NS, This area does have a lot of history but almost everything is privately owned and being so close to Boston means ALL these properties are worth a fortune. I've been at this hobby for 5 years now and still have never had a private permission. It's tough to look at all the colonial properties here and then feel good about hunting a 1950s schoolyard due to lack of better places to go. When this whole shelter at home thing is lifted maybe we can get together for a hunt and put some ideas together for some new places to explore. Until then stay safe my friend!

Would not be opposed, stay safe

I know how you feel in the first post. I’ve had days where I just feel like a trash collector and not much more.
Then I will get a wonderful find and I’m happy again.
Great finds seem to come when I’m in a positive mood. Don’t know why but when I’m happy the targets get better. So instead of one pull tab in the hole I’ll get 3!:lol:
Best of luck!

I get more "its already been detected" Or "I was planning on doing that" etc than I do yes. I have had some luck talking to people that know me and asking them to put in a good word with their neighbor who owns an old home. If there is no sign posted telling me I can not detect a park, playground, totlot etc then I will work the dickens out of it. I have had employees at a local park that is not old to tell me that they have no problem with me being there and to detect where ever I please. Had a lady ask me what I was doing digging in the park. told her I was assisting the park employees in finding some valves. OH Okay and she walked off. I only fibbed a little bit as in the past I had helped those employees find the cut off valves for the parks sprinkler system.

Back
Top Bottom