How do I remove my coil cover?

MCH02

Last year when I purchased my whites XLT from my local dealer he installed a coil cover for me, recently upon cleaning and inspecting my machine I wanted to remove the coil cover to clean under it but I for the life of me cant get it off. Doesnt it just snap on? Is there a trick to it? Or is it a one time thing and once they are installed they are on for good? Any help would be great.

If your 100% sure he did put a cover on it, You should just be able to pry it off..Sometimes they stick on there pretty good.

Not sure about the XLT but the 8x9 coil cover on the Tesoro's is a nightmare to remove. They usually break getting them off. Steve.

Try putting it in some warm (not boiling !) water for a few minutes.
It'll make it expand. and less likely to snap.

It should come right off with a little pressure. If there is a coil cover there should be a lip around the top of the coil and the coil cover would most likely be textured. The coil itself is flat and smooth. For future reference its not a bad idea to clean it often. I clean mine every time I go out because I almost always find sand or dirt inside.

Although some people say that the Whites covers are hard to get off, mine aren't that bad. I don't need the warm water but it is a good tip. I just get the edge of the covers with my fingernails and work my way around the cover. All mine come off. Rob

Old fashion way

I have a DFX and to take the cover off I just place a screwdriver between the col and cover and give it a little pry and once it gets started it comes right off.
Just make sure there is a cover on you XLT.

Thanks guys, I manage to get it off of there last night, I took a screw driver and lightly worked my way around and it popped off, Im glad I got it off, there was sand,dirt and even some water in there.

Thanks guys, I manage to get it off of there last night, I took a screw driver and lightly worked my way around and it popped off, Im glad I got it off, there was sand,dirt and even some water in there.

Might be a good idea to put a bead of silicone around the cover when you put it back on. That will keep the dirt and water out.:yes:

I don't know if I would put silicone on it; you won't get it off and stuff is bound to get inside regardless. I would just clean it off every once in a while. But thats just my opinion.

MCH02 you're avatar is freakin' me out.

Concering the cover....oh man that ant is crazy real looking...it should just pop off.

There is no problem getting the silicon off. You just run a blade between the cover and the coil. I don't like the silicon because in a short time it attracts dirt and looks crappy. I had some on my 6x10 but took it off, you'd never know it was on the coil. Rob

Back
Top Bottom