Interested in Coin/Gold Prospecting

M

Mainer555

I've had some time off lately and have been watching some Gold prospecting shows .I noticed some prospectors using Metal Detectors.I'm trying to get my best Bud interested as we both have ATV's and it would be fun to strap one on a check out the many streams we have here in Maine.Also doing some coin and treasure hunting would be fun.We both are not hurting for chips however he is a good deal tighter than me.I have a tendency to start out with lastest and greatest but from what I've read so far that may not be the way to start out as these high end machines are way to advanced for the newbie .However I still don't want to waste $300 to $400 on a machine I'll outgrow in a couple of months.As for my buddy thats probably the max he'd put out.So I need need recomendations for the both of us .

I agree with Craig. The Whites MXT is a very versatile machine with three separate operating modes geared towards prospecting, coins and jewelry and relic hunting. The MXT is very simple to use and you will not outgrow it for the type of hunting you have described. It goes fairly deep and loves gold. Not really sure what they are going for new but you could probably pick one up for around $600.

Howdy and welcome to a great forum.

The MXT is a great all round machine. The first thing to do though, if you haven't already, is to research the gold producing areas in your locale and find out if the gold there is of detectable size and what the locals swing. As for your cheapskate partner, just tell him to fess up the $ :lol: :lol: Here's a link for you on Maine gold.

http://49ermike.com/ma.shtml

Glad to Have ya
Kevin

Welcome to the forum Mainer555. Good to have ya here. Craig is right on with the MXT. From all I have read, and heard, this machine would be a great all around machine for what you want to do. Good luck on your quest for the gold. :yes:

Hello Mainer555,

In my opinion, the GoldBug 2 is the best detector made for gold. If you buy one go for the GoldBug 2 with the 6-inch coil. The smaller coil will let you get into tighter places and makes it more sensitive to smaller targets (sub-grain).

For coins and jewelry you can?t go wrong with the Garrett 250.

The MXT will get better depth than the 250 but will not find gold much smaller than 1.7 grains in size.

I don?t know what size of gold you find in Maine but if I remember right it tends to be on the small size.

Good Luck,
Steve Houston

I have the same interests as you guys . I was thinking of getting a fisher cz-3D I was reading some good things about these machines ,but Im not sure there good for prospecting ? IF I were you maybe you could buy a gold bug2 for prospecting and something else for coin hunting .

Does any one like or dis like the fisher cz3D .?
Good luck ,you will find out tons on this site .

Back
Top Bottom