• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT pro vs NOX 600 ease of changing coils

Gms318

Good morning ppl! As i am going to upgrade after 30yrs with the whites that I have,I am considering the AT pro or a NOX 600. I will be purchising a 6 inch coil along with the one that comes stock. My question is one easer than the other one to change? Are plugs a problem? Thank you all! Marty

The AT is just plug and play with the Garrett coils. Takes about a minute. Aftermarket coils may be different but I can't see why.

Cliff

They are both plug and play but the Equinox plug is easier to get to. In my opinion the plug on the At series is kinda awkward. So I would have to say Equinox...

Thank You for the reply. In what way is the nox plug a pain? Is it easly to damage if inserted wrong? Marty:?::?:

I regularly switch between the stock and the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro. Once you get the connector lined up correctly--something that can't be done blindly due to the design---you then have to simultaneously push on it while also turning the threaded ring. This is a bit awkward because the connectors are so close to the body of the control box.

I had the AT Gold for awhile with the same coil connector. I had difficulty changing coils also on the Garrett. I did not want to use anything but finger pressure but even my fingers had trouble getting into the tight space. Plus, it would often work its way loose. I was regularly checking it even during hunts since when in came loose EMI interference could skyrocket. The headphone jack was not any easier either. Both connectors made it very waterproof however.

Changing coils on the Nox is very easy with not obstructions. The 1/8th headphone jack needs a straight connector. Right angle connectors will not reach inside all the way.

Jeff

Thank you for the infro. Alot has chaned since I have bought a detector.

The ATP plug is a little awkward to get to but I'm in the wood a lot so I like that it's protected from catching branches and such. The equinox looks more exposed. I'm not sure how rugged it is around the plug but it looks like I'd have a hard time with it in the brush.

My dad hates the plugs on his at pro, but he loves his machine.

I just recently got my nox and it didn’t take no time to get the coil all hooked up.

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Cliff, I am sure not too often, as i most of the time hunt farm land and some times at old house sites , that is when i most likley change to the 6 inch coil.

It's not a pain, it is just close to the housing but not a problem. I wouldn't decide against a detector based on just that. Features may be another thing to look at.

Cliff

I'd buy the AT Pro again, but the connector is a pain. I can only imagine they haven't changed it because it's working well as far as being waterproof.

How often are you planning on changing coils? I've only changed mine twice in two years.

Cliff

I often use both coils in the same hunt. I'd much rather slowly swing the stock coil if I'm in a wide open area that isn't junky.

I regularly switch between the stock and the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro. Once you get the connector lined up correctly--something that can't be done blindly due to the design---you then have to simultaneously push on it while also turning the threaded ring. This is a bit awkward because the connectors are so close to the body of the control box.

Agreed! You have to be very gentle and sure you got the pins lined up, then its 'push, wiggle, tighten'...push,wiggle,tighten...very gently...you got that O-ring to consider, and its easy to really mess this up if a guy aint careful...then, during a hunt, its a good idea to reach over the box and check the status of the knurled knob fit occasionally and give it another quarter turn...It works loose...

Its a critical excersize...a guy may as well have two AtPros with the corresponding diff coils instead of trying to change them out in field......You can get yourself in heap big trouble bending pins and whatnot....We all know the Pro is a killer rig, but this damned coil swap out plug is delicate and very frustrating....

Like I said, at this juncture in time, it may be advantageous for a guy to consider carrying two AtPros with diff coils..or three even....Whip up some straps and sling the other two over your back like a set of Samurai swords!...That would look pretty damn bitchin' if nothing else!:laughing:

Agreed! You have to be very gentle and sure you got the pins lined up, then its 'push, wiggle, tighten'...push,wiggle,tighten...very gently...you got that O-ring to consider, and its easy to really mess this up if a guy aint careful...then, during a hunt, its a good idea to reach over the box and check the status of the knurled knob fit occasionally and give it another quarter turn...It works loose...

Its a critical excersize...a guy may as well have two AtPros with the corresponding diff coils instead of trying to change them out in field......You can get yourself in heap big trouble bending pins and whatnot....We all know the Pro is a killer rig, but this damned coil swap out plug is delicate and very frustrating....

Like I said, at this juncture in time, it may be advantageous for a guy to consider carrying two AtPros with diff coils..or three even....Whip up some straps and sling the other two over your back like a set of Samurai swords!...That would look pretty damn bitchin' if nothing else!:laughing:
Different people have different results. I've not had a problem and never loosened after tightening. You do have to make sure it is pushed in all the way though. It's easy to think it is in when it is not.

Cliff

For me, the AT Pro connectors (for the coil and the headphones) are difficult to use. They're too close to the control box, and with my fat fingers it's tough to line up and tighten or loosen. I've ended up using pliers to grip the connector to twist it on and off.

That being said, the AT Pro is an excellent machine other than that. I'm very happy with it, although I use the Nox much more nowadays (well, to be honest, I don't use either, since it's frozen up here :) )

Good morning ppl! As i am going to upgrade after 30yrs with the whites that I have,I am considering the AT pro or a NOX 600. I will be purchising a 6 inch coil along with the one that comes stock. My question is one easer than the other one to change? Are plugs a problem? Thank you all! Marty

Have both nox and atp..get the nox its easier to change coils and a way better machine...WITHOUT QUESTION

The stock coil on the Nox is great at separating signals. Much better than the AT pro. I think the advantage of a smaller coil on the Nox is the ability to get closer to the edge of old buildings or trees, and shrubs.

I didn’t like assembling the AT pro. The coil attachment is a bad design. The equinox attachment is much easier and doesn’t seem to loosen like the AT pro.

Back
Top Bottom