Semi-Key date coins

EdNargel

Elite Member
I know what a key date coin is but am a bit unclear on what a semi key date coin is. Are semi key dates any coin that is worth just slightly more than the average coin of it's type?

Look forward to an answer to this as I'm not sure myself. We all know the key dates are the rarest of a type of coin. Jefferson nickels have the 50-d as an example. The 38-S and the 39-D Jefferson, I would think are considered semi-key dates because they are rare, but not as rare as the key date. Hope someone chimes in who knows what defines a key date from a semi-key date.

Semi key dates are hard to get coins in a series, but aren't the rarest in their series.

For example, with Mercury dimes, the 1916-D is the key date, they only made 264,000 of them, even well worn 1916-D Mercury dimes sell for hundreds of dollars.

On the other hand, the 1921 Mercury dime is considered to be one of the semi-key dates, they made about 1.2 million of them and in average condition you can pick one up for about $30 or so.

Semi-key dates sell for more than a common date coin. For example, a Mercury dime that is in average circulated condition sells for about $3 or so. However, a semi-key date like the 1921 would never sell for that low (if the dealer knows about them). So while semi-key dates aren't going to make you rich if you find one, they are worth quite a bit more than just an average coin.

Semi key dates are hard to get coins in a series, but aren't the rarest in their series.

For example, with Mercury dimes, the 1916-D is the key date, they only made 264,000 of them, even well worn 1916-D Mercury dimes sell for hundreds of dollars.

On the other hand, the 1921 Mercury dime is considered to be one of the semi-key dates, they made about 1.2 million of them and in average condition you can pick one up for about $30 or so.

Semi-key dates sell for more than a common date coin. For example, a Mercury dime that is in average circulated condition sells for about $3 or so. However, a semi-key date like the 1921 would never sell for that low (if the dealer knows about them). So while semi-key dates aren't going to make you rich if you find one, they are worth quite a bit more than just an average coin.

Good answer....the key is the mintage, not a super scarce mintage...those are the Keys....but a much lower than average mintage.

And don't be mistaken...even a semi-key in really excellent condition can beat a worn out key in value...Collectors are quirky people (since I am one I know! HA HA). I would much rather have a semi-key in mint state, than a worn out or damaged key date in my collection. When showing it to another collector, the condition wows them! The very poor condition of most older circulated coins make them "fillers" within a collection. A collector is always looking to upgrade the coins he has, as well as acquire coins he does not!

Presently KT is slowly working towards a goal of having one coin of every Roman Emperor for the entire 400 years of Imperial Coinage. Not one of every type coin!, but just one from every Emperor. That will take some patience, and money to put together! There are 100s of millions of those coins scattered around, but the majority are unattributable...which means ya can't tell when they were minted and under which Emperor. KT, being a Royal Personage, likes Roman Coins! :lol::lol::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom