What was your first detector?

Picked up a Whites Coinmaster at the local hobby shop about 10 years ago.
Well made machine, I still have it and use it.

HealthKit
f11b6cbbed8de6db44ec0990517156e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first detector was bought in 1983 and was a Garrett but I don't remember the model name. It was a simple TR machine that had a meter with a needle that said either "BAD" or "GOOD" and a very uncomfortable "J" design which killed your wrist in no time. You could set the detector to disc out bottlecaps or pull tabs. It had a switch on the handle and I don't even remember what it was for. Very little depth and I remember that my first find was a nickel. Never found much with it except some VERY shallow clad but that was enough to get me hooked. I had it for a few months and then upgraded to a White's 6000di. I found silver coins and jewelry with that detector as soon as I started using it.

UPDATE...….I found an ad in an old Garrett catalog for my very first detector. It was a Garrett American TR Series 2

Mine was a Compass Relic Magnum 7A, which I still have.

That was my first machine as well, wish I still had it, but the circuitry failed beyond repair. I found things that I was told the machine would not find. I found a three cent silver in Dracut MA. Loved that machine.

A no name on it garage sale unit. All white coil, plain aluminum rod, aluminum box with a handle, on/off switch and a sensitivity knob/rheostat. Red light would light up and unit would beep over a target. Found enough quarters on dry sand jersey beaches to pay for gyro sandwiches with real tsaziki sauce on the boardwalk. Cost me 25 bucks. Paid for itself first time out. Think I sold it before we moved to Maine.

Mine was from Radioshack back in 1979 when I was in Germany
Best find was an intact belt buckle from WW2 with the leather belt in a stream.
It had Gott mit uns on it. Unfortunately I gave it to my friend. :mad:
As you probably know,
That phrase in German means- God with us.

Bounty hunter tracker 4. Only been detecting since last year and used the heck outta that bounty hunter lol. Found my first 10k gold ring 2 weeks into the hobby and got hooked right then and there. I upgraded to a Fisher f22 and delta 4000 but I wanted more so now Amanda and I both have Nox 600's lmao! 5 detectors and a million pull tabs later I think we finally found the detectors were gonna stick with haha

First was a whites spectrum XLT I got at a yard sale for $20 and it only needed a batter pack

How long did you use it? And what were your best finds?

Mine was a Fisher Gold Bug used to locate buckshot in streams which in turn told us were to dig the gravel for gold. Buckshot is a good indicator of likely places that gold will be hiding. That was a very good machine for what it was designed.

next came a Garret Master Hunter ADS II. It was a pretty good machine, but I really didn't know much about the art and science of metal detecting to use it properly. Next came the Fisher ID Edge. Still didn't know much about the art and science of metal detecting.

Back then I was thinking that the technology in the machine would magically do all the work for me. Next came the AT Pro and finally the Nox 800. The Nox 800 gave me a real good lessons. You must learn about the science and art of metal detecting no matter what model detector you have.

You learn that by seeking out knowledge on these MD forums and watching some of the better youtube videos and get out there and putting that knowledge to practice which is the ONLY place you really learn.

The AT Pro is probably the best machine for the total newbie who wants a real good detector at a decent price. It has all the basic features you need and is easier to learn than a more complicated Minelab detector.

My first detector was a Bounty Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfie and I started detecting with the Bounty Hunter Junior. It afforded us a good introduction to the hobby, and we used it steadily for two years. It was with that machine that I scored my first wheat cent... a thrilling find I hope to always remember!

Back
Top Bottom