American Coin Shooter website online

ACS

Making detecting videos - anyone interested in a how to?

Since we at ACS started making detecting videos a couple of months ago we've had some people ask how hard it was and what was needed. Just wondering if the folks here would like to have a tutorial and/or specifics for what you need to make a video. If you're interested, please reply to this thread.

AmericanCoinShooter
We have nine videos so far. Hoping to get one more done before the end of the year. We started making videos about two months ago. Wished we had started sooner :lol: as we could have had a lot of nice ones for people to see.

I learn subtle nuances about my own detecting style and the differences in target sounds and orientation when I film my own hunts.

That is why I like to do FULL digs. To me its the excitement when something comes out...all over again.

That being said...it is more work and it takes up way more space on a video than say the open hole finds.

NebTrac

You're right about it taking more time. I had to fight with myself to actually take the time to video rather than detect. I found a happy medium though. I'd like to do more full digs, but it usually depends on what I'm finding and how much of it I'm finding. YouTube only allows 15 minutes and most people lose interest after 10 or so. Having a tripod really helps on those full digs.

I just use a tri-pod when I am digging for something and want people to see....
When editing the videos I use windows movie make (Comes with every new windows pc)
Also, when compressing the videos I use a program called VirtualDub....

Not much I can give you, hope it helped a little :/

First youtube video watched ..Vlads..got me thinking

Been doing Surf video's for two years now, seems almost like a addiction, like detecting...use the tachyon xc headcam..just turn it on and forget it..records about 8 hours of video...video quality is not to bad, they have since came out with HD..so interested in seeing the difference. Thanks to KanasDave I can post a few video on the forum now. I do video's of my hunts and other people hunting, some are to show different hunting style, scoops, locations and How to's. I have to say once you get out and watch a few of these guys that have been doing it for years..you can learn alot from them. Along with watching your own, while editing...is a lesson in itself..many a time I say ...hey your swinging to fast or........ man did I just miss that Gold ring tone? So it really is a good thing to be able to share your little secrets and learn from the Old Pro's in your travels....The Biggest thing I have learned in the last two years I would have to say is, there are so many varibles in this hobby that at the end of the day what works on one beach, lake, river, or spot ...may not work as well at the next beach, etc.., be it scoop, digger, detector, or hunting style.
ACS,, I like that opening.......

few of mine, different software can change your video's..
1st was WMM
2nd is Pinnacle studio 14
Last two....... I have two site's that I use..one is oldbeechnut, here I do quick video's to test how they look once uploaded, along with Quick how to's, shorts vid's for the forums
the other site is Oldebeechnut, I guess these are the better video's but if you start with the very first one you will see a big difference in how experence helps as the more I do....Thanks Again Dave.......................joe

Attachments

• DSC_0193.JPG
    DSC_0193.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 396
...ACS,, I like that opening.......

few of mine, different software can change your video's..
1st was WMM
2nd is Pinnacle studio 14
Last two....... I have two site's that I use..one is oldbeechnut, here I do quick video's to test how they look once uploaded, along with Quick how to's, shorts vid's for the forums
the other site is Oldebeechnut, I guess these are the better video's but if you start with the very first one you will see a big difference in how experence helps as the more I do....Thanks Again Dave.......................joe

Thanks joe and good stuff! I love your setup. You should definitely go HD. It really brings out the details. I will sometimes watch my videos on my big screen in HD to see how I can improve them or if I'm doing anything wrong. Like most people I'm using WLMM (newer version of WMM), however, I'm going to be upgrading to better software in a couple of weeks. I'll keep the same song, but more than likely will be changing the intro a bit.

You're right about it taking more time. I had to fight with myself to actually take the time to video rather than detect. I found a happy medium though.

Finding that happy medium has to be the most difficult thing to come to terms with. I find myself focusing on my targets and then before I know it I've hunted all day and haven't put a thing on video.
Sure, I could video someone else detecting all day long and making a few videos like that, I'm sure would prove to be entertaining and educational for myself as well as others.
I would really like to become "proficient" at creating some good videos of my own. So, I would like to challenge you guys, that are doing this. To put together a tutorial or how-to video. Show us the intros and outros and even the in the middletros. Fill it with facts, lighting, cameras, microphones, noise issues, editing, etc,etc.
I think we can all learn something from this and in turn, maybe we can create some really interesting 10-15 minute shorts.

Finding that happy medium has to be the most difficult thing to come to terms with. I find myself focusing on my targets and then before I know it I've hunted all day and haven't put a thing on video.
Sure, I could video someone else detecting all day long and making a few videos like that, I'm sure would prove to be entertaining and educational for myself as well as others.
I would really like to become "proficient" at creating some good videos. So I would like to challenge you guys, that are doing this. To put together a tutorial or how-to video. Show us the intros and outros and even the in the middletros. Fill it with facts, lighting, cameras, microphones, noise issues, editing, etc,etc.
I think we all can learn something from this and in turn maybe we can create some really interesting 10-15 minute shorts.

I'll start working on it this weekend.

How to make a metal detecting video - part 1

Part 1 of this tutorial will deal with the essentials for making a metal detecting video.

The Camera
Any video camera can be used as long as you're able to import the data from the camera into your computer. It's highly recommended that you use a digital HD camera for those crisp, detailed shots and ease of importing the data. While the larger sized camcorders will give you the best picture and close-ups, the "pocket" style cameras are the easiest to use because of their size. You have to becareful which pocket camera you use as most are limited by how close they can focus (most are fixed focus at 1.5m to infinity). Remember that most metal detecting videos are shot at close range and many people want to show close-ups of their coins or other finds. My recommendation is the Sony Bloggie Touch. Unlike the Flip series cameras and others, it has auto-focus which includes an auto-macro. Also, it gives you three options for recording; 1080p@30fps, 720p@60fps and 720p@30fps. I recommend filming in 720p@60fps on the pocket style cameras because it will help with blurring and jerking when panning quickly.

The Computer
Either a PC or a MAC will work, however, I will focus on the PC since that's what I own. AMD or Intel, the difference is negligible. You'll want a dual core or better. I would recommend a quad or hex core. Just to give you an example of the difference the number of cores can make, when I was running an older dual core it would take 40 minutes to encode a 12 minute and 30 second video. After upgrading to a quad core it only took 14 minutes. You're doing good if you can get a 1:1 ratio or better on encoding. The speed of the processors doesn't really matter as much as the number of cores, but you'll want to try and get a 2.8 GHz or better core speed.

The amount of RAM you need really depends on the type of OS you're running (32bit vs 64bit) and the type of video editing software you're using (32bit vs 64bit). The bare minimum in my opinion is 2GB. If you're running a 32 bit OS you're limiting the amount of RAM you can use to 4GB (actually less for the software you're using to edit the videos due to OS overhead). With a 64 bit OS you can access well over 16GB of RAM, but more than likely the RAM stick size and the number of slots in your system will limit you. I recommend 8 GB, but 4 GB will work. In my testing I noticed a few seconds faster encode on a 5 minute video using 8GB vs 4 GB.

The only other big piece of computer equipment that you might consider is the video card. ATI and NVidia pretty much dominate this market. Both have great video cards that today's software can take advantage of. Like AMD vs Intel, the difference is negligible.

The Software
I don't really want to delve into the different brands at this point because a lot of that is personal preference. However, I do want to discuss the memory architecture. As far as I'm aware, every free video editor out there is 32 bit in nature. Even if you're using a 64 bit OS, the program you're using is limited in the amound of RAM it can use, usually less than 3 GB due to OS overhead. Most off the shelf video editing programs that you can purchase are also 32 bit, except for the recently released PowerDirector 9 Ultra64 which is natively 64 bit. What does this mean for you? It means it will use as much RAM as your system will give it and it will process faster than any 32 bit program out there.

In part 2 I'll show you how to actually make a metal detecting video with Windows Live Movie Maker which is free to download and use on any Vista or Windows 7 based system. If anyone would like to add or make suggestions or comments to what I have listed here, please feel free.

ACS

That pretty well explains it for me...........................Nice tutorial, however with some one with any sense left.......................

You mean someone besides beerdoodle was interested? :lol: Work has been pretty busy and I have to work the weekend as well. It's the end of the year and we have to get things taken care of. I'm hoping to get it typed up next week when I have some time off.

You mean someone besides beerdoodle was interested? :lol: Work has been pretty busy and I have to work the weekend as well. It's the end of the year and we have to get things taken care of. I'm hoping to get it typed up next week when I have some time off.

:saywhat: Typed up? :?: I was really hoping to see a How-To video from the ACS studios. :D
Hows the typing coming along?

Making a metal detecting video about making a metal detecting video....
Novel idea...maybe a bit redundant, but who am I to judge with no videos to post or share.

Hoping to change that after I read, (watch?), part 2.

I was just poking a little fun at ACS. It's to cold to be detecting let alone making a video outside this time of year.

But, Now that you brought the subject up. A little food for thought.
Wouldn't making a video about making a video be the same thing? :?: Except in this case, a topic is added to the subject? :confused:

A video I believe would be the best tool for right brain thinkers to use and learn the information being presented.

And for the left brain thinkers, a typed/written document explaining the in's and out's along with all of the technical information is the way to go. Just like part 1 of this tutorial.

A video I believe would be the best tool for right brain thinkers to use and learn the information being presented.

And for the left brain thinkers, a typed/written document explaining the in's and out's along with all of the technical information is the way to go. Just like part 1 of this tutorial.

What about us "No Brainers?' Crayon drawings? Stick Figures?

Back
Top Bottom