Cheap Sand Sifter

dvendt

I made a very cheap sand sifter, I picked up a 2 quart animal feed scoop at Tractor Supply Co. for a whooping $3.95, laid a grid for hole placement on 3 sides and the bottom then drilled the holes.
I made the one pictured with 1/2" holes and the second one will probably have 1/4" holes.
Hope you find this helpful.

Dave
:viking:

Attachments

• IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 5,900
  • IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,795
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 5,146
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 5,152
I did the same thing but i didnt go into the technical stuff like laying out the hole pattern.It works great btw.

Similar Idea

I took a Frisbee and drilled a grid of holes and use it like a pan for gold-panning at the beach, if I'm with my nephew we can take a break and play catch with it. When I'm digging a treasure and need to put the dirt somewhere I use the Frisbee or a plastic bag, I always carry a plastic bags for big finds like Horseshoes, License plates, and others...

I'm looking to make something like that myself, but I would like to attach a long handle. Bending over isn't as easy as it used to be.

Did the same thing with the one from Harbor Freight. They wanted $2.95 and the same thing on eBay (already drilled) is around twelve bucks plus freight. I can drill a lot of holes :hammerin: for fifteen bucks :money:

I found an abs drain yesterday in the bath section at Home depot it fits in 4" abs pipe. I took a piece of pipe 8" long and cut it at an angle and put the drain on the end and a handle on. I haven't tried it yet but it should work well and is fairly sturdy. I will post pics if anyone is interested.

I also see you substitute the Dew for the Mountain Lightning but the Sam's Cola just can't replace the real Coke. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to agree with you on that, nothing tastes like a Coke and diet anything tastes like :censored: As for Dew, I coverted to it about two years ago and have to believe I presently drink at least two liters per day. After my coffee of course....most days :run1:

My ABS and PVC Sand scoop. Got the bottom from Home depot and made the handle from 3/4" pvc and a torch. One pic is pre drilling.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,584
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 4,621
I saw yours and made one just like it. Only modification was the addition of a 1/2 earth magnet that I glued to the bottom. That catches all of those small iron pieces that fall through the holes and causes me to take another scoop. Oh, I too have trouble in the wet sand, but dry sand flows right through. Thanks for the idea!

another cheap with handle

not finished,but am eager to test it.LOL !:lol::cool:

Attachments

• photo.jp.jpg
    photo.jp.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4,054
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4,209
Back
Top Bottom