THAT question... What is the coolest thing you ever found?

Kapi

Forum Supporter
For those that don't like to read:
Dick and I hit the pier today for the super low tide
A man comes up to me asking "What is the coolest thing you ever found."
I tell the man about the fallen Officer bracelet I found and returned.
I take notice to two really nice rings the man is wearing and warn him not to go in the water with them on.
I go back to detecting.
The same man comes back 15 minutes later, less one ring.
I offer to try to find it for him.
He tells me it's not lost, that he buried it for me to find.
The man gives me three clues to find it and one hour stating if I find it I can keep it.
I find it in 5 minutes buried near one of a hundred different things he could have used to mark the spot where he buried it." (he didn't tell me he marked it but common sense told me he had to have)
The man refuses to take the ring back.
I cry and almost get struck by lighting three or four times.

Those strikes were close weren't they Dick???!!

As I sit down to write this post I'm still in disbelief....

Hit the pier today and yet again someone came up to me and asked "What's the coolest thing you ever found?" We get this a lot and honestly I usually don't mind as I'm a people person and can many times talk more than I detect. I just love people :)

So I go into the story with him briefly about the recent fallen Officer bracelet I found and how after 3 to 4 months I finally found the owner of it in Kentucky and returned it. This gentleman, his name is Jim I believe, seemed pretty interested in the return story and then went on to tell me how his uncle detects for relics. I noticed Jim was wearing two rather nice gold rings, one on his left hand wedding finger with a diamond and a large nugget ring on his right hand. I told him relics are nice but that is what I'm after and I reached out and tapped his ring. I told him "Don't wear that in the water, you may lose it." He thanked me and at this point I'm wanting now after ten minutes of talking to get back to detecting this awesome low tide we have going on right now so I politely excused myself and went on my way for about 15 minutes.

A rather large storm was moving in so instead of moving further south I decided to head back to the pier and noticed the same man moving towards me out of the corner of my eye. I kept my gaze on the ground and crashing waves hoping he'd go right by but then I hear 'Excuse me". So I stop and chat with him again.

Here is where things get interesting and perhaps unbelievable. My friend Dick who was detecting nearby says had he not seen it happen himself he'd not believe it and I can understand why! Jim says to me, You have one hour." I said "One hour?" He holds up his hand and the ring that was on his right hand is gone. I said to him "Oh no you lost it in the water?" I glanced up at the approaching storm and think "He's right we have less than an hour" so I said "Show me where you think you lost it and I'll try to get it back for you."

He says with a big smile "I didn't lose it, I buried it and I'm going to give you one hour and three clues and if you find it before the hour is up you can keep it." I didn't really believe him so I asked his wife if he was serious and she said with a smile "We like to pay it forward."

His three clues were 9, pier, and right angle. I figured he buried it along the ninth leg line at a right angle to the pier and started my search there. I then thought to myself "If he really buried this gold ring he must have marked it with something so he could find it if I didn't." I saw a sand drip castle in the 9th leg line and started my search around that but heard nothing. The sand was still very wet and there were no dig marks anywhere. I then started doing a grid search and as I got close to a shell I slowed down a bit and checked there but heard nothing then I saw a feather sticking up barely in the sand. It was one of about 100 different items laying on the top of the wet sand that he could have used to mark where he hid the ring. Since it was in my grid search pattern I checked around it and a few inches away from it there was that GREAT GOLD SOUND. I dug it up and sure enough it was his ring.

I then walked over to him after my exhausting 5 minute search and tried to hand it back to him. He refused to take it. He said "I am a man of my word, I said you can keep it if you find it and you found it, just someday pay it forward."

Of course now I'm in tears and hugging him and still trying to give it back but he would not take it. At this point the life guards announced an incoming severe storm and warned people to leave the beach. I asked Jim and his wife if they could meet me up at the pavilion to exchange contact information and he said sure. They were gathering their things and not too far behind Dick and I as we headed for shelter. An hour later, they never showed up at the pavilion, it was still lightly raining but the main storm had passed. (Man that lightning was CLOSE) I checked the pier store, nobody. I checked the parking lot and it was virtually empty. They were simply gone.

All I know is they are Jim and his wife and I'm not even sure that name is correct but I recall his last name was Dial and that they were from Indiana or was it Louisiana.....

Those of you that know me know I've had 22 ring returns, 5 necklace returns and one very sentimental bracelet return. I've also returned two cell phones and two sets of car keys. I'm the one that is usually doing the good deed. It is a very odd yet rewarding experience to be on the receiving end. I actually feel in a way like I cheated the man out of a ring. I mean I have a metal detector and I know that pier like the back of my hand. I told him this and he would not take it back.

I suppose you can say that answering that "What's the coolest thing you ever found?" question has finally paid off, though it pays off for me in so many ways over and over and over again just by meeting great people as I detect.

The silver ring I found the other day and just put it in the picture to better show the size of the nugget ring. Which by the way is exactly 7 grams. Did I mention I was born on the 7th and it's my favorite number? :)

Attachments

• Pay it forward 8-30-15.jpg
    Pay it forward 8-30-15.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 921
A womans diamond engagement ring and her wedding band at a beach that's very difficult to hunt in the water...with the wrong machine, 2 days after the fact, with her & her husband looking on. She was a large lady. The choke hold she placed on me after handing back her diamond engagement ring (found it first) was something out of the WWF. The wedding band came next which brought on the water works. I refused a reward. A few days later found an 80g 22k chain...karma?

A womans diamond engagement ring and her wedding band at a beach that's very difficult to hunt in the water...with the wrong machine, 2 days after the fact, with her & her husband looking on. She was a large lady. The choke hold she placed on me after handing back her diamond engagement ring (found it first) was something out of the WWF. The wedding band came next which brought on the water works. I refused a reward. A few days later found an 80g 22k chain...karma?

Woah! amazing!!!

I have found a few nice diamond rings, but this is my favorite find.

Old Wyatt Earp silver ring that could be purchased for 25 cents from cheerios in 1958?

C for Crumble. ;)

Attachments

• PC040102.jpg
    PC040102.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 870
  • 56_5185_ucp.jpg
    56_5185_ucp.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 777
I'd say it was my gold coin. Was a really cool find. That was a very cool story gonna read long version in a minute. Hhgl-Joe

my last coolest find is this .925 silver 1920's pen :D

Attachments

• lapicera plata y cuchara 018.jpg
    lapicera plata y cuchara 018.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 763
  • lapicera plata y cuchara 003.jpg
    lapicera plata y cuchara 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 758
I must here that question 20 times a day, what is etc. I personally can't stand it. But good for you on the ring. Congrats...

My coolest would be when I found and recovered the booty from a 1960's burglary.

Back in the 60's there was a souvenir shop called The Gunsmoke Trading post just west of Dodge City. It was broken into and a lot of silver and turquoise rings were stolen. Later I ran into a guy, who knew a guy, that said he had heard that the jewelry was thrown away when the sheriff's department got to close.

I did my homework for years until I finally put it all together and felt I knew the location. I asked two of my hunting buddies to go on this historical event and we had the time of our lives. We still have not recovered all that are there, but we recovered enough to verify I had the right place. We're not sure how many rings were taken but I'm thinking the shop claimed $15,000 worth of stuff was taken.

All the rings stolen were handmade silver and silver and turquoise. Here are some pictures of the hunt and the rings. Some day I will go back and look for more.

cassey1.jpg

cassey2.jpg

john1.jpg

ringsofar.jpg

hw01.jpg

That's one of the best stories I've read here. :yes:
Like others have posted and will post, the coolest thing is not always the most valuable. I've always felt like I've underacheived when it comes to mind-blowing finds considering how long I have hunted. :yes: Hard to choose but one of the most "interesting" finds for me was this crown ring-
picture.php

It was pitch black when I scooped it out of the water and I thought it was a castle nut at first.

Your initial post in this thread is AWESOME Barb!! Thanks for sharing it here!

As to "coolest thing" I have found...I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya!! ;):laughing::laughing:

A great read Kapidr. You seemed to been practicing giving forward many times, so I say well deserved. Nice people usually attract nice people. Congrats you earned it. The coolist thing I ever found was in high school and we have been married 46 years. My wife! As some know I have a passion for military rings and medals so, the coolest thing I haven't found is a Military ring. This is as close as I have come.

Attachments

• 20150817_143213_resized.jpg
    20150817_143213_resized.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 765
Some really cool stuff and a great karma pay off for our girl kapidr...

Back
Top Bottom