Bracelet honoring fallen officer returned 5-6 years later.

Kapi

Forum Supporter
For those that don't like to read:
Officer shot and killed in the line of duty
Commanding officer Rich wears one of many commemorative bracelets made to remember officer.
Rich loses bracelet around 2009 or 2010 on Vilano beach FL
2012 St. Augustine dredges inlet to fill in Pier area beach
2015 I find the bracelet while metal detecting a highly eroded area
3 months later the owner is found
Mailing it back to him tomorrow. :)

WHAT AN AMAZING STORY - Back in May of this year, I found this bracelet while metal detecting just north of the Pier. After a long search I finally found the owner, special thanks to Officer Ronnie Ward and everyone else involved putting this great return into play.

Officer David Whitson was fatally shot in the line of duty in 2006 in Bowling Green Kentucky nine years ago. The bracelets were made and worn in his memory. His commanding officer wore this bracelet always and while visiting Vilano beach around 5 to 6 years ago, something he did yearly, he lost the bracelet in the surf. His wife said he was devastated.

Fast forward to May 2015, I found this bracelet while metal detecting the pumped in sand near the pier. It is highly likely that this bracelet went through the dredging process and survived.

I contacted the Bowling Green police department and reached Ronnie Ward who in turn had a mass email sent out to find the owner. From that email many people contacted Mr Rich's wife asking if they lost their bracelet in St. Augustine. They had.

Today, three months later, I was able to speak with Kim Rich, the wife of the bracelet owner and have arranged for it to be mailed back to them no charge.
I can't even put into words how amazing and humbling this entire experience has been. It is a huge honor to me to get this bracelet back to it's original owner. The sentiment behind it is priceless. These men and woman put their lives on the line every day for very little pay so that WE can have a safer lifestyle. This great man gave his life and I for one am honored to get this back to his commanding officer.

Thank you Ronnie Ward for your part in finding the owner. Tomorrow the bracelet will be in the mail back to now retired Officer Rich.

This bracelet likely went through the dredge that pumped up massive amounts of sand onto St. Augustine beach in 2012. You can see in the photo just how much sand they moved in, much of it from the inlet between where the bracelet was lost and where it was found.

Attachments

• bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 437
  • officer.jpg
    officer.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 513
  • pier filled in.jpg
    pier filled in.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 512
  • map of bracelet.jpg
    map of bracelet.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 285
Awe... Nice Barb. Also love the before and after photos of St. Aug beach. Goes to show the challenge of hunting after renourishment

That is awesome. Myself and many others from my former unit wear one for 3 of my buddies who were KIA while we served in Iraq in 2003. I know first hand how sentimental these are and i think its awesome you found not just the bracelet but the owner as well.

That is awesome. Myself and many others from my former unit wear one for 3 of my buddies who were KIA while we served in Iraq in 2003. I know first hand how sentimental these are and i think its awesome you found not just the bracelet but the owner as well.

Thank you and THANK YOU for your service!

Amazing story and return. Thanks for sharing. It's stories like this that keeps me out digging canslaw and pull tabs every week even when in a long slump of garbage finds.

As of this morning my story that I posted on my Facebook page about this fallen officers bracelet has 457 shares. I've had a Kentucky newspaper and a Kentucky TV reporter contact me. Apparently this story has created quite a stir in Bowling Green. I've been overwhelmed with kind and touching comments and replies from this officers friends, coworkers, family and citizens of Bowling Green Kentucky. I'm humbled to be a part of this return which is by far my most important and sentimental find.

The bracelet arrived back in Kentucky at the post office this morning at 6:40 a.m. It is almost home!

Back
Top Bottom