Not finding many nickels

GiGi

Elite Member
OK, I know that we all find tons of pennies, and I find a good share of dimes and quarters, but I don't see many nickels. I'm using a DFX on the auto coins and jewelry search. I notice most of you guys find a lot of nickels. Am I doing something wrong? I don't usually dig unless I have around a 25 VDI, because all I usually find under that is just tabs. Sometimes I hunt all VDI readings, but still, not many nickels. Any ideas? :?: Thanks!
GiGi

Sorry, I posted this to the wrong Thread, but I can't figure out how to transfer it to the General Hobby Discussion where I want it to go.
GiGi

The thread should actually be in "How to use your Metal Detector"

But if you are not digging pulltabs then that's why you are missing the nickels. They sound the same.

Turn OFF your VDI normalization. Use the 15kHz mode only. Drop your sweep speed to 3 and go slow. This will put your nickels into the mid 40's and your tabs into the 50's. It makes it easier to tell apart.
If you want me to send you my custom park program let me know.

OK, I know that we all find tons of pennies, and I find a good share of dimes and quarters, but I don't see many nickels. I'm using a DFX on the auto coins and jewelry search. I notice most of you guys find a lot of nickels. Am I doing something wrong? I don't usually dig unless I have around a 25 VDI, because all I usually find under that is just tabs. Sometimes I hunt all VDI readings, but still, not many nickels. Any ideas? :?: Thanks!
GiGi

GiGi nickels register a VDI number of 18 on my DFX and if you aren't digging lower VDI's than 25 then you are going to pass over gold and platinum jewelry..

Interesting, Craig.. the nickels are at 18 on the MXT as well... I didn't notice it until Lowjiber pointed it out to me, and since then every nickel I've dug was at +18. (Thanks, Lowjiber!)

Joe says the nickels give an unmistakable signal on the DFX once you get used to it a bit.

For me nickles are a dead on 18-21. By that I mean almost every swing will produce a VDI of 18-21. Now this won't guarantee all nickles, but digging a solid 18-21 should get you nickles.

GiGi

Another way to look at is when you break a dollar you can get back 4 pennies 3 quarters 2 dimes but only 1 nickel. Fewer nickels are being lost and found.
I don't find many nickels either

Detector is right on with his VDI range as far as where I find them. I run my VDI senstivity higher than most people which tends to skew the numbers but rarely do I see a VDI on a nickel above 21. I dig almost all signals even lower than that anyhow so I dont end up missing a gold ring or other gold item.

RE: Nickels

I find huge amounts of nickels but all of them look like pencil erasers and pop tabs occasionally one looks like wadded up foil. The other day I found a strange one that looked like a coin. LOL keep digging nickels are a strange creature, if I get a solid VDI lock on my MXT 20 or 22 if it has a little depth it is usually always a nickel, pop tabs on the surface of grass lock in solid so they fool me anything with a bouncing VDI is always poptab, pencil eraser(at schoolyards) or foil wadded up. All my gold had come in at solid 8-10 or up in penny range on larger rings had one gold crucifix ring as a nickel. Hope this made you laugh and helps. CNR

Nickels are completely distinct from pulltabs on the Sov, but not on the Tracker. Best advice for finding more nickels (and gold) is to dig everything above iron.

On the X-Terra 30 nickels generally hit form 12-18, and pull tabs are almost ALWAYS a 16 dead on.

I read this and was thinking the same thing you were. I found $5 in clad this week, with 3 nickels to show for it. I quit digging the nickel readings cause it turned out to be junk most of the time.

Well, I walked over the the school by my house, and dug 4 nickels, 4 dimes, 4 pennys, and a quarter. Now im going to dig all the signals...

Thanks!!

Thanks for all your replies! It's great to know I'm not the only one being lazy! I'll get right on it tomorrow and we'll see if it makes a difference to dig in the 16 to 25 range for the nickels. I'll let you know what I find. My sister is visiting and we plan on going to an old school for a couple hours tomorrow. Thanks again!
GiGi

No, nickels are not being lost less than other coins, people are just not digging them as much as they require more junk type signals/digging. I go on sounds only. So far this year I have dug 919 of them. Lower the disc and dig more, Steve in so az

I find a lot of nickles

I use a dfx as well. Nickles fall into the 17 to 20 range. Buffalos 16 to 19 and
libertys' at 15 to 18. Depth, corrosion, gain, mineralization, and sensitivity can skew numbers.
The one thing that is fairly consistant with nickles is the signagraph. Dig dual bars with the nickle icon banging around the above numbers, and you will find them. Pull tabs register 26 on my machine. the beaver tails from tabs if bent or folded will fool the signagraph at times, as well as an experienced hunter. better to dig the off sounding ones and not miss gold.
My last gold ring was a solid 19 with one bar on the graph. I thought it was a small piece of canslaw. You never know....Good luck Gil

Back
Top Bottom