Small cache located by a coincident.

Steffen70

Forum Supporter
I've been busy cleaning up a beach, getting ready for the summer hunts for jewelry lately, and have not had much time for dirt-fishing.

Today was not different, but since Dewcon gave me a good reason to try some new settings for my explorer, then I went to a local and very boring playground to try it out.

There was a lot of inteference from Wifi, GSM etc, and this forced me to lower my sensitibility to 1/3 of what I'm used to on the beach.

I got plenty of depth even though I was in a noisy location - I did'nt really believe that it was posible to get that deep in that environment. - Thank you Dewcon.

When I had been hunting for probably 40 minuttes, trying to learn the new way of hunting, I got a mixed signal - mostly a silver/Copper tone. I was confused by the new sounds the program gave me, switched over to the program I usualy run, to verify the depth, and hopefully recognize the signals. - It was still really strange and confusing, like there was a fistfull of bottlecaps, but since the high tones were repeatable, and I did not recognize, then I decided to dig the signal. The signal was deep, faint in my normal setup, and the explorer could not tell me how deep.

I got really curius, as I did not expect anything but some modern clad and lot's of trash on the playground...

Since this happened in Denmark, then you can probably imagine that I looked like one big questionmark, when I opened the small box of coins...... :?::?::?:

to be continued after the pics.

The pictures...

Attachments

• cache-1.jpg
    cache-1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,996
  • cache-2.jpg
    cache-2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,990
  • cache-3.jpg
    cache-3.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,995
There was a total of 22 foreign coins, not a single coin from Denmark, and they were recovered in the wooden box, which is now fallen apart.

2 Half dollars, 3 quarters, 1 nickel, 9 pennies, 200 Italien lira, 520 yen. 6 switzerland francs

The newest coin is from 1981, and unfortunately the silverlooking coins is all from after 1965.

I have no idea as to how the box went there. My best guess are that some junior pirates burried their loot, to make an exciting threasure hunt for themself years ago, and then forgot where they left it. It was way too deep to be a geocache.

The box was recovered from the dirt under the sand, and they have done a very good job hidding it from anybody not owning a good metaldetector...

You have probably guessed that I dug any deep signal I could find around that spot after this find, and I actually got a clean and deep copper signal near it. - It turned out to be a fat power cable for the 5 floor building next to the playground..... Thank god I was using a sand scoop, and not a heavy spade or excavator :lol::lol::lol: - I know copper is expensive, but did'nt bring home the cable :laughing:

This small cache had my hearth beeting rapidly, until I got home. - I was thinking SILVER!!!

The new settings for the detector worked out fine, and I did feel that I got way more depth with my detector, but I have to get used to not being able to know how deep a target is by the sound - It will take me some time, but is well worth it...

Thanks for looking

HH.

/Steffen

Wow! I would have passed out, expecting gold ingots!!!

Cool about noticing the wifi. I bet that is why certain apartment buildings give me fits.

Those halves look to be 1977. Off a few years :no:

Close one yes.

Looked good in the box, and when I opened it in the field and noticed the silver looking box, it went straith under without cleaning the box. Too many people nearby to examine the content on the hunt.

I had sand everywhere when I returned to my home.

Had a lot of fun though, and I was there only to test the changes I made to my explorer program, and had a nice experience at the same time.

The next time I run into the question about where to find threasure, I probably just reply - Everywhere..... :D:D

HH.

/Steffen

That is a great find for a totlot...My guess is that it was buried well before the totlot was built and the sand brought in! Silver coinage in the US stopped in 1964 but with halves it continued in lesser proportion, 40%, through 1970, but those are still great finds and a cool story! KT wonders if that box could talk as to how coins from the USA wound up in Norway, and who brought them there...:?::?::?:

American coins ended up in Denmark???

Wow!!! I see American coins mixed with other foreign coins in this wooden box. I am wondering about how the coins from USA ended up in Denmark buried in the wooden box with other foreign coins. I guess that the coin collector who collect foreign coins must buried the wooden box in the beach for long time until the Danish metal detectorist unearthed this wooden box from the beach.

Goes to show that you never know where the pirate booty is hiding. That box would look good refinished.

Wow! That's a sweet find! If I were you I'd stick a few coins in it and make it fun for the next metal detectorist so they can have a fun time finding a cache too. The excitement is half of the fun, besides the find itself.

Back
Top Bottom