Hi Everyone! I'm just a newby with a MYSTERY!

sfdiggerchick

Hello there!

My brother got a metal detector a few months back and I just couldn't get enough of his reports of treasures. Be it a rusty nail or something more special like a railroad spike, coins or whatever cool thing he discovered, I wanted to know every detail!

So, my husband bought me a detector from Costco to see if I liked this hobby enough to get a better model. I did. Now I'm the happy owner of a Garrett AT Pro and my handy AT Pro Pointer! I've only been exploring our 26 acre property so far but it's been great fun!

Cool stuff I've found: a bracelet I lost last year, a couple of corroded pennies, a 2004 quarter that one of us dropped in our field, some small wrenches, railroad tie with the top broken off, a changeable screw tip, and plenty of bullet and shotgun casings.

Junk: zillions of nails, screws, wire, bolts, washers, melted metal globs, cotter pins, other assorted stuff.

Mystery Metal: All over our property I have found many, many pieces of extremely corroded metal. My curiosity has led me to this website in the hopes that someone might be able to identify what I've been finding.

MYSTERY SOLVED!!! Thank you to my NEIGHBOR SoOregonMD who let me know these are artillery fragments from army exercises back in 1945+! :)

Info about the mystery metal:
I've found these pieces of metal laying at a variety of levels--laying on the ground or buried as deep as a foot. They are all over the place on our quarter-mile-wide property...in the field, in the woods, near our shop, far from anything. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to their locations. I've found a few pieces close together but no heavy concentrations anywhere. Sizes range from less than 1/4" to 6" or more. The only thing that I can think was they were once being part of a fence post?

History of the area: we live on the outskirts of a town called White City, named for a general George White. In 1945 an enormous army training camp was created in the area some miles away, and at one point sprawled across 50k acres (Not close to our property). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_White

I mention this because I wonder if the metal I've found has something to do with Camp White?

If you have any idea what I've been finding, I would really love to know what you think!! I've attached a picture for you to look at which shows a typical collection I find during an outing.

Attachments

• Metal-shards.jpg
    Metal-shards.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
It may help to research the history of you land. Knowing what it was in the past sometimes helps. I'm guessing they're not natural, that much iron would probably shut down a vlf.

Welcome to the hobby, sounds like a really great start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think what you have is a mix of cast iron stove parts, pots and pans with some farm implements mixed in. I'd call it a good sign of activity back when cast iron was more common than plastic.

The pro is a great machine I would recommend you go over some of the spots you have dug trash and set the machine up in pro-coin mode with iron disc all the way up. I bet you find some high tones that where hiding in the iron and trash

Hey, thank you very much for your thoughts of what I found! It's really nice to have a clue of some sort though I really have to wonder how there could be so many pieces all over the place...we live in a very rural area so it's puzzling how there could be so much of this stuff here.

I'll go back to some of the areas which I didn't dig everything up and see if there isn't something else hiding there. TY for the tips! :)

It may help to research the history of you land. Knowing what it was in the past sometimes helps. I'm guessing they're not natural, that much iron would probably shut down a vlf.

Welcome to the hobby, sounds like a really great start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to see if I can find more information about this place!

Hello there!

My brother got a metal detector a few months back and I just couldn't get enough of his reports of treasures. Be it a rusty nail or something more special like a railroad spike, coins or whatever cool thing he discovered, I wanted to know every detail!

So, my husband bought me a detector from Costco to see if I liked this hobby enough to get a better model. I did. Now I'm the happy owner of a Garrett AT Pro and my handy AT Pro Pointer! I've only been exploring our 26 acre property so far but it's been great fun!

Cool stuff I've found: a bracelet I lost last year, a couple of corroded pennies, a 2004 quarter that one of us dropped in our field, some small wrenches, railroad tie with the top broken off, a changeable screw tip, and plenty of bullet and shotgun casings.

Junk: zillions of nails, screws, wire, bolts, washers, melted metal globs, cotter pins, other assorted stuff.

Mystery Metal: All over our property I have found many, many pieces of extremely corroded metal. My curiosity has led me to this website in the hopes that someone might be able to identify what I've been finding.

Info about the mystery metal:
I've found these pieces of metal laying at a variety of levels--laying on the ground or buried as deep as a foot. They are all over the place on our quarter-mile-wide property...in the field, in the woods, near our shop, far from anything. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to their locations. I've found a few pieces close together but no heavy concentrations anywhere. Sizes range from less than 1/4" to 6" or more. The only thing that I can think was they were once being part of a fence post?

History of the area: we live on the outskirts of a town called White City, named for a general George White. In 1945 an enormous army training camp was created in the area some miles away, and at one point sprawled across 50k acres (Not close to our property). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_White

I mention this because I wonder if the metal I've found has something to do with Camp White?

If you have any idea what I've been finding, I would really love to know what you think!! I've attached a picture for you to look at which shows a typical collection I find during an outing.

I know EXACTLY what you have found !!

I too live in White City.. we are probably neighbors..

Our area around Jones and Beagle/Antioch area was the ass end of the artillery range from White city Base in the 40's.. those are exploded fragments from the artillery.

They used to fire it off from around table rock (Modoc and Antioch)

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Looks like SoOregonMd solved the mystery ! :thumbsup:

This video I found online might have some info you might not have learned yet about your detector, this is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining! Please continue to share with us about your finds. :D

Our area around Jones and Beagle/Antioch area was the ass end of the artillery range from White city Base in the 40's.. those are exploded fragments from the artillery.

WOO HOO!!! *high five*
Thank you so much for your fantastic message!
We live about 1.5 miles from you, isn't that hilarious?!

I am totally delighted to know what these pieces of metal are and I'm so happy that my pondering about Camp White having something to do with my finds were correct! :D The sort of "sprayed" distribution really seemed like the metal was from an explosion or something like that.

Thanks again, I'm giddy!! :)

Our area around Jones and Beagle/Antioch area was the ### end of the artillery range from White city Base in the 40's.. those are exploded fragments from the artillery.

Agreed. I couldn't figure out why I knew those shapes until you called it out. Those are artillery round fragments, for sure.

Cheers,

Skippy

Here, I was thinking "Old west barbed wire pieces". Great ID from a local who knows! Interesting, but bothersome from a detecting standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom