I have to know!

Florida Newb

As some of you know, I currently swing an ACE 250. I am nearing completion of my favorite hunting spot. I am also nearing the end of my use of the ACE 250. All I want to know....If I buy a DFX or the Vision, how much depth am I adding. I know there are alot of other variables and options, but I want to know depth. Maximum depth of the ACE 250 vs maximum depth of the DFX when coinshooting.

I am sure you can all relate...If I get a new machine and operate it properly, will I be reaching further down to detect coins?

I have seen alot of technical discussions on this matter, but I want it in newb terms.

This is a tough question to answer in terms of what is the maximum depth. In general you will be able to discriminate and detect at deeper depths do to the fact that the Ace 250, while being a powerful detector is considered an entry level detector by many. The DFX or V3 is on the opposite end of the spectrum. both being high level detectors. So it most certainly will be a step up for you. You can compare detectors with an air test and get a good idea of performance in a "no mineralization" scenario. This means nothing compared to the real world results you would expect to get on buried targets. I will air test a quarter on both the DFX and V3 for you and you can do the same with your ACE 250. The results however don't mean a lot.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I think the biggest advantage of the DFX over the ACE 250 is the ability to better handle any condition. As CyberSage stated, the ACE 250 is a great detector, but it does have limitations. It should go without question that the DFX has a much higher coil selection. The right coil for the right job is important for maximum depth.

I've used the ACE 250 and it does have pretty good depth for the price, but the DFX will go deeper, and give better performance in more hunting needs.

If I wanted to upgrade from an Ace250 or any other entry level detector, and that I would be hunting in discriminate mode most of the time, my main concern would be to get a detector that would ID my targets with more consistency than my entry level model.

This is what I was after when I bought the Minelab Explorer SE, upgrading from my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger.( And almost immediately went ahead and bought a Fisher F75 for its speed and gold detecting superiority compared to the Explorer)

Depth is nice, depth is required when your competition is hitting the same places as you with only high end detectors. But even then, you could be productive where others wouldn't thread if you have developped special skillz in hunting trashy areas that others shy or frown upon:p

Back
Top Bottom