Bought New Detector For Friend

musicnut1986

Forum Supporter
Last year a very good friend came down with Guillian Barre syndrome from a flu shot. This left him paralyzed for several months. Feeling and movement slowly came back to Dean and after a lot of physical therapy he was able to walk again. His doctors told him he needed to get some light exercise and fresh air but he was pretty depressed and was not motivated to do so. He tried going back to work but was not able to do so and had to take an early retirement.

In order to get him outside and try to lift his spirits I invited him to go on a hunt with me and let him use my F2. He caught the detecting bug and his family gave him a Swarm EFX M100 detector. He has found some coins with it but has problems with constant falsing, even after repeatedly ground balancing it. He bought a BH Jr for one of his grandsons to use and Dean has had better results using it, but he sure looks funny all hunched over swinging it! I know he is getting a little upset with me finding coins when all he can find is can slaw so I went to Hobby Lobby with one of their 40% off coupons and got a BH IV for him to use.

I have noticed some members list the BH IV in their signatures but have not found many user tips here for it. I would appreciate any tips I could pass along to Dean to accelerate his learning curve on this machine. He will be using it for coin and jewelry hunting with the occasional relic hunt here in western Missouri. Dean's been a good friend for 25 years and had some bad luck. I just want to do what I can to boost his spirits and get him back outside.

Congrats to Dean for having such a good friend as you. Old friends are special and I know he means alot to you. Good luck hunting together and I hope a full speedy recovery and lots of finds for you and your friend.

Congrats! He'll enjoy it, and be wanting to upgrade soon after you get him addicted..... :lol:

First and foremost, tell him to dig EVERYTHING! That will give him the quickest way to learning the machine. Depending on how mineralized your soil is, I like to set my sensitivity all the way to the right, and the discrimination at about 10 oclock. If it starts getting chattery, have him turn down the sensitivity. I also set the toggle switch to the right, which will block out most iron. It does not block out all random metal though, as I find plenty of horseshoes and even some nails if you know what to listen for.

Some quick sounds:

Sharp sound is a good coin, aliminum can, sterling silver, and many bullets (lead)

Mostly sharp with a little bit of a growl to it, for me, that's almost always brass. Usually around here that means rifle casing or headstamp.

Straight growl is usually pull tab, and I have not found gold yet, but my gold ring sounds like this in tests.

Lastly, it's the consistency of the sound. The one that I seem to have nailed down is a 22 round/casing that is close to the surface. Or, a button or other smaller item that is laying on the surface. It'll be a very bouncy sound, tough to pinpoint when you swing over it.

Anyway, those are some quick ones, but truthfully, the best thing he can do was the first thing I said, is dig everything. He will quickly pick up on what his machine is telling him.

Best of luck, let us know how he does.!

Congrats! He'll enjoy it, and be wanting to upgrade soon after you get him addicted..... :lol:

First and foremost, tell him to dig EVERYTHING! That will give him the quickest way to learning the machine. Depending on how mineralized your soil is, I like to set my sensitivity all the way to the right, and the discrimination at about 10 oclock. If it starts getting chattery, have him turn down the sensitivity. I also set the toggle switch to the right, which will block out most iron. It does not block out all random metal though, as I find plenty of horseshoes and even some nails if you know what to listen for.

Some quick sounds:

Sharp sound is a good coin, aliminum can, sterling silver, and many bullets (lead)

Mostly sharp with a little bit of a growl to it, for me, that's almost always brass. Usually around here that means rifle casing or headstamp.

Straight growl is usually pull tab, and I have not found gold yet, but my gold ring sounds like this in tests.

Lastly, it's the consistency of the sound. The one that I seem to have nailed down is a 22 round/casing that is close to the surface. Or, a button or other smaller item that is laying on the surface. It'll be a very bouncy sound, tough to pinpoint when you swing over it.

Anyway, those are some quick ones, but truthfully, the best thing he can do was the first thing I said, is dig everything. He will quickly pick up on what his machine is telling him.

Best of luck, let us know how he does.!

Thank you Vermonster. I'll pass this along to him.

mtruxfan and Gabby, I was the recipient of acts of kindness from friends when I broke my leg several years ago. I’ve always tried to pay it forward. I think that’s what friendship is all about.

Back
Top Bottom