How to approach getting permision to hunt cornfields?

IllinoisDigger

I found an old church on the county atlas that dates back to 1870. The church is long gone, and is now a cornfield. The site is about an hour away, so it would be a waste of time if the owners said no. I was thinking of having other possible sites lined up in the area just in case they turn me down. How often is permission granted to hunt cornfields (when there's nothing growing there)? are the property owners generally nice about it? What might turn up there at the site? Thank You.

Fields have been the easiest to get permission for for me. You don't have to worry about ruining the lawn, etc. Just stress that you won't interfere with planting and crops. Tell the farmer that you'll stop when he starts working the soil in the spring, and won't go back in till he harvests in the fall. This works for arrow head hunting, too. Good luck! Curt

Your idea for a plan "B" is a great idea. I've always hated doing long rural drives to be turned down. Sometimes I also don't know if the area is mowed or crops are up - other times I just can't find the owner! I've always joked that I wish I had a drone to do surveillance on sites before I spend my valuable short winter days driving to a site.

I agree about finding the owners. I live in a farm community, and have worked on farms. Trying to find the actual owner of a field can be hard at times. Many times the owner lives many miles from his fields, and sometimes it will take several tries to figure out who owns it.

Sometimes the owner leases it to a farmer, who does the farming. If this is the case you may need to get permission from the leaseholder, and the owner.

My advice is to check the tax records and call the owner before making the drive, or have a good plan "B".

I hope you can get permission, definitely has potential!

I have found out that most farmers around here will give you permission until after harvest time,.. You just need to ask for permission. They will not mind. Trust me.

I almost always get a yes on fields as long as there are no crops in. Had great luck with fields as well. having a back up is a good idea in case you get the occasional cranky no trespassing kind of guy. They are rare, most have no problem with you going.

Walk the spot, look for signs of activity. pottery, glass, ect. start swinging there.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom