Minelab coil question

NiagracountyNY

Elite Member
Im looking to buy a new large coil for my SE.Im looking at 2 coils from kellyco..The 16.5 inch round excelerator.....and the 18 by15 S.E.F Butterfly..Does anyone have experence with these coils..I want the one that goes the deepest..I know the butterfly is more stable,But the kellyco website doesnt explain how deep the butterfly goes.It does mention the 16.5 round goes 16 inches and up to 20.But it doesnt give a depth on the butterfly..If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.there is a sale on these coils at kellyco atm and i dont wanna miss out on it..Something like $100 savings on each coil..Thx guys

I have The 16.5 inch round excelerator I never use it I put it on a time or two but felt it was just too heavy, and nothing is very deep in my area anyway.

I had it up for trade or sale in the classifieds on this forum but didn't get any takers.

Cliff

I have the 18x15 SEF, but don't really know its depth limits. I goes deep, I've dug 10" coins, and it is surprisingly stable, but I have no idea how it compares to the 16.5.

I am really curious about that coil. At the end of this year I might want to buy something for my Sovereign for going over school yards that I hunted hard already. Let us know how it works for you.

A friend I know is a minelad dealer and tried the excelerator,
He was dissapointed with performance and said it was heavy.
He did end up with a W.O.T (wonderfull orange thing) coil 15" I think and was completely in love.
I never heard anything about the other coil but I never met anyone with a WOT that didnt like it.

Ive been looking throught past post in a few forums,The reviews on the sef are great.and i see alot of guys sold the wot coils after they got the sef..ill know 1st hand soon enough..Ill be sure to let u guys know my results.Thx for all your input :)

sef

I purchased the sef 10x12 for my ex2 and my mxt.I was really expecting something special after reading all the forums.

on my whites mxt the coil read a silver dollar as a quarter at 8 inches.The stock coil read it as a silver dollar.At 10 inches both coils had a hard time with the dollar but I have to give the edge to the stock coil.

On my ex2 I have a Platypus 8" x 12" coil.I really dont know why I got the sef for my ex2 as the platypus is a great coil.I'm kinda new to metal detecting and wanted the latest and greates.LOL

Both coils piched up the
dollar at 10 inches,however the platypus coil was more responsive and gave off a lower sound.

In my opinion the sef coils did not preform as advertised.They may preform better on on different metals like iron or clad coins.I want to find targets like real silver.The $1 I used was a morgan out of my collection.

I'm now looking at a large coil for my whites and would stick with a whites coil from what I been reading.I'm going to get a super 12 or a 10d2.

As for my ex2 I would have to say that the platypus works as advertised.I want to try the new coil from minelabs the 11 dd coil.My guess is that I have one of the top coils already.I myself will stick to coils made by whites,minelabs,and coiltech.I have heard good things about jimmy sierra also but have not tried any of those coils.I hope this helps

I went with the 18x15 SEF butterfly.I am very happy.The depth is alot better than the pro coil(ofcourse its bigger),But the sensitivity to small its is great.I have found 4 silver in the few times i used it that was missed by my pro coil and my buddies stock dfx coil.I havent tried the platypus coil but glad to hear u like it.I use the explorer SE .i am very happy with the results,sorry you werent.Did u get the butterfly or the eliptical SEF???

Back
Top Bottom