VLF and pi

leozdad

How does one know if your machine is VLF or pi? I have been reading a few user manuals and nowhere does it say any of these terms. What is the upside or downside of each? How do they differ in use? What variety is the Garrett at pro?

I know, dumb questions, but I'm a newbie and haven't learned all this and haven't come across it here in the forum.

How does one know if your machine is VLF or pi?

One way to know is to look at your receipt. PI (Pulse induction) machines are anywhere from $1k to $5k. You can pick up a nice VLF (Very Low Frequency) from $150 to $800.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm sure there are some members that can elaborate on the differences between the two.

Discrimination is the key

PI machines are really all metal. There may a PI machine out there that will disc but I am not aware of one. Almost all VLF unit will discriminate out iron.

Not all PI's are over $1000.
The Tesoro Sand Shark costs less.

PI's, (pulse induction),are good for hunting many beaches, it can get though heavy salt mineralization like it was nothing, and there are land based units out there also that are used when severe mineralization problems in soil is present like in the south and southeast.
The problem is that when using these they usually don't have the ability to discriminate so you end up digging, well...everything.

VLF's. (Very low frequency), units have disc but except for multiband units like some of the Minelabs they usually have problems in the two types of sites mentioned above.
They can work, but usually not very well.

This is why we build arsenals and own more than one detector for different purposes.

Back
Top Bottom