Digging with MTJosh in Missoula!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Forum member MTJosh (of Deer Lodge Montana) happened to be traveling thru Missoula this afternoon, we had never met before, so we arranged to get together for a short detecting adventure!

Josh turned out to be a great guy, pleasant, smart, easy going, and a capable and conscientious detectorist. We had our water bottles ready for watering the plugs, towels for the dirt, pinpointers, and we both use the AT Pro.

I chose a parking strip off the 1921 Missoula maps that had a fair amount of homes shown, hoping for plenty of good targets. It turned out to be a poor choice on my part, as after hunting we realized that it had been really hammered by others before us, as there were not many coins or relics of any type. I did find the cool "RIVERSIDE / H S T NYLON" Tire Advertising item, research shows those tires was sold by Montgomery Ward in the 1960's. We both got a few wheaties, and Josh scored the only silver coin of the day, a nice War Nickel. He was checking the curb strip in front of a remodel home, and got a nickel signal. He looked down and the Silver Nickel was laying right on top of the ground! This was in an area where some machinery might have moved the soil around a bit. The pic of his nickel and a couple of wheat pennies is below. Before Josh arrived, I sampled a few other areas of Missoula for future trips, while I did not find much, I did get a Sterling Ring and a nice 10K Gold Filled and Sterling Silver ring, along with some of the usual clad.

I've also included a few pics of my latest solo hunt earlier this week, again, finds were sparse but I did recover a nice 1931-S Mercury Dime (fairly scarce one) and a very cool ANACONDA MONTANA for the state capital promotional pin. In 1891, Anaconda, with the backing of "Copper King" Marcus Daly, challenged Helena (and "Copper King" W. A. Clark) for the location of the state capital. In that year's election, Helena won and retained the capital, making this an early 1890's artifact. Pictures follow of the overall finds, and a few close up pics, thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• joshpic.jpg
    joshpic.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 708
  • db1.jpg
    db1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 599
  • db2.jpg
    db2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 603
  • db3.jpg
    db3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 589
  • db4.jpg
    db4.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 593
Nice finds! Love the war nickles, and very nice merc! Always interesting to see what kind of tokens, medallions, pins, and tags come out of the ground and tell a little about the story of an area!

I like the green patina wheaties . They wouldn't be half as fun, if they came out of the ground candy-apple clean, now would they ? :laughing:

Thanks for the comments, and thanks Josh for being part of a fun day detecting!

Went up to Missoula again today for a short time on other business, but brought along the AT Pro and got permission to detect a front yard ca 1905 house. I did get some wheaties which I gave to the homeowner, an old bus token, and a couple of Indian Head cents, a fairly tough pull here in Montana!

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 579
Nice hunt.
If all I ever was to find were war nickels, I would be happy with that.
There's something about its silver composition that makes the strike stand out.

Very nice digs Shiny. Congrats on the War Nickel. the Merc and the Indians. The Anaconda Medallion is really neat and has some great history to go along with it. Trapper

Love that Anaconda pin, great history there!
With the Nez Perce nearby, do you guys ever find Native American artifacts?

Thank you all! I do find that pin really cool, glad to have found it. Came out of the side yard of an old Victorian home in Hamilton Montana. Hamilton was founded by Marcus Daly, as a lumbering town with mill to provide timbers to his mines in Butte Montana. He also owned the Anaconda Copper Company in Anaconda.

matmit - no, I don't know of anyone who currently finds Nez Perce artifacts and I've not ever found any. They did have a huge presence in the Bitter Root Valley so there must be some around for sure. Lewis & Clark actually traveled right thru here on their way to the Pacific Ocean. The Nez Perce helped them get over Lolo Pass and into now Idaho along the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers, then down the Snake and the Columbia Rivers to where Astoria Oregon is today.

matmit - little to be found. They were mostly nomadic. You'll find lithics and maybe an arrowhead. They didnt have much else that would last otherwise.
In AZ pottery is everywhere. So are ruins. A stable farming culture there.
I'm sure I've walked where the Nez Perce were. Even Deer Lodge is named after the local native meeting area that translated to Lodge of the Deer. My property may have had camps. But the river has moved since then andwashed any signs away.
One fun thing to look for here is old bones. Gravel pit in Deer Lodge had great mastodon bones. I've found fossilized bone fragments eroding out of the river bank.

Back
Top Bottom