where to look now?

sandpiper

Recently, had a big storm with 15-20 foot waves crashing on the beach. I was hunting at a minus low tide at the newly exposed area. A person came up to me and said I was now hunting in the wrong area as the waves will have pushed every thing back up to mid beach. Said he is a md too but wasn't carrying anything. True or not true? Ideas anyone?

What he says is not untrue... I recently found gold washed up on shore but I still find stuff out deep, it sounds like where you were detecting was a good spot as any. I worked a cut yesterday and found some old silver and it was at high tide mark.

Storms take away as well as bring us stuff... Winter is the best time for beach hunting because the storms generally take away sand exposing old sand and in turn bringing to the surface older stuff.

Try hunting close to jetties after a north east wind, stuff tends to be moved there, some of my best gold finds are next to jetties.

If you're hunting in the water try hunting behind sandbars pushed close to shore there are usually troughs behind them where deep stuff has been covered.

Its the usual metal detecting half truth. Stuff will have been taken up the beach but I would do as you have. Tackle the newly exposed area to get the really deep finds that no one has been able to reach. It could be covered by the next tide. Then work up the beach at your leisure.

Brian said:
Its the usual metal detecting half truth. Stuff will have been taken up the beach but I would do as you have. Tackle the newly exposed area to get the really deep finds that no one has been able to reach. It could be covered by the next tide. Then work up the beach at your leisure.
Thanks Brian, sounds like a good plan. Now if I could slow down the tides :lol:

Craig, when you say "behind" the sandbar, do you mean closer to the sea or the shore? I appreciate all the help and advice.

sandpiper said:
Brian said:

Craig, when you say "behind" the sandbar, do you mean closer to the sea or the shore? I appreciate all the help and advice.

Behind it means in the water seaside... usually its where you will find old stuff, silver coins and old gold.

Cfmct-PI said:
sandpiper said:
Brian said:

Oh no! :shock: I may have to break down and get a mighty PI one of these days :!:. Maybe in the spring/summer when the iceburgs are gone from the water :lol: :lol: until then my XLT and I will venture into very shallow water.

Behind it means in the water seaside... usually its where you will find old stuff, silver coins and old gold.

Hunt the wet sand after storms although down here even the wet sand freezes solid so I'm sure you living up there ;) it freezes sooner... PI's are not for everyone and if you don't mind digging then you can try one but if digging is a problem go with a detector like a BeachHunterID.

Cfmct-PI said:
Hunt the wet sand after storms although down here even the wet sand freezes solid so I'm sure you living up there  ;) it freezes sooner... PI's are not for everyone and if you don't mind digging then you can try one but if digging is a problem go with a detector like a BeachHunterID.
I'm not in a rush so I'll keep eyes and ears open on the PI and Beachhunter. I'm still learning. It's hard to deny all the pics of PI treasure troves make me want to run right out though... HH

A real good read on this topic is "The Beach Hunter's Guide" by Donald A. Barthel, having never hunted a salt water beach before I needed to learn some in's & outs before I head south this winter. In the book it says that the incoming & outgoing water can actually spew coins & rings out onto the sand beyond the water. I have found small Gold rings a short distance out of the water after a heavy wind storm on a fresh water beach that I hunt in central Alberta, plus I find them in the trough at the waters edge as well. Hope this helps. H.H.:-)

Back
Top Bottom