Greetings from across the pond

LaNinaZA

Greetings everyone, I am new to the forum and completely new to metal detecting and really enjoying going through this forum, there is a wealth of info here and so great to see how everyone shares!

I am looking at getting my first detector soon but would prefer to not have to buy twice and get something i can learn on as well as use once i know what i am doing. I will mostly be looking at hunting along our shores as i live across the street from the beach! I would also like to eventually use it underwater to look around areas where most cant venture.

After doing a bit of homework and whats available in South Africa i have come up with 3 options namely
1)Minelab Excalibur 2
2)Fisher CZ21
3) Garett Infinium

At the moment the Fisher seems to be the top of the list as it is apparently a lot more hardier than the others which will be a big plus considering that i would want to eventually dive with it.

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys that are well experienced in this field! Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Sorry can't answer your question since I'm not a beach hunter, but welcome from SW WI.

The CZ 21 is one hell of a rig! You can google up and read Norm Garnushs' site titled: "The Golden Olde" He was a Master with the CZ20//21...You gotta hip/chest mount the brain box though...no biggie..its a bulletproof tank of a rig that will find gold....just do some diligence and research to know its limitations, strengths etc..

also, for subsurface work, our active Member ScubaDee runs the CZ's...so theres help here if you need it...All your choices are fine and well respected machines...

Attachments

• harness 5.jpg
    harness 5.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 119
If this is your first machine, the Infinium will drive you nuts. You'll dig every hairpin out there. The CZ is a great machine, but heavy. Mud is right, you'll want to hip/chest mount that puppy. I switched from the CZ to the Sovereign GT/Excal. The Excal will have a learning curve, but worth it. If you can, try to find a used Excal "Blue" on EBay.

R5

Welcome from the east coast of Florida!

I'm primarily a beach hunter and can say that "Yes" all of those are great machines for hunting salt water beaches. Each machine has a pro and con. Here is a quick run down.

Infinium... built rugged and requires minimal maintenance, e.g., one big o-ring and just needs cleaning of coil wire. It can handle pressures at depth and it's PI technology will punch deep into the sand to retrieve deep targets. The down side is that it does not effectively discrimintate unwanted targets like iron. That means it is ideal for diving where there is not a lot of trash. It is not ideal for hunting trash laiden tourist beaches.

CZ... also built rugged and requires minimal maintenance. It is not as deep as the PI machines, but being a multi-frequency machine, it can effectively discriminate unwanted targets. It is a great machine for searching the wet sand of tourist beaches as well as diving. Only real downfall is the weight.

Excal... this is a proven work horse. With all of the exposed knobs and specialty battery, expect a little more maintenance to replace the o-rings. It is made less rugged and more delicate that the aforementioned detectors so take the time to be a little more gentle with it. Expect to pay an authorized service center if you want them to replace the rings AND pressure it test it to ensure it will withstand diving. Being a MF-machine, it can also effectively discriminate unwanted targets. HOWEVER, it has an all-metal (P/P) mode that gains noticeable depth over the CZ.

As far as ease of use, all of these machines have an auto mode so you can begin hunting as a novice. To streamline your learning curve, buy a detector book, from Clive Clynck or Gary Drayton. Their books are loaded with tips and tricks to help you quickly learn and make the most of every hunt.

Greetings everyone, I am new to the forum and completely new to metal detecting and really enjoying going through this forum, there is a wealth of info here and so great to see how everyone shares!

I am looking at getting my first detector soon but would prefer to not have to buy twice and get something i can learn on as well as use once i know what i am doing. I will mostly be looking at hunting along our shores as i live across the street from the beach! I would also like to eventually use it underwater to look around areas where most cant venture.

After doing a bit of homework and whats available in South Africa i have come up with 3 options namely
1)Minelab Excalibur 2
2)Fisher CZ21
3) Garett Infinium

At the moment the Fisher seems to be the top of the list as it is apparently a lot more hardier than the others which will be a big plus considering that i would want to eventually dive with it.

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys that are well experienced in this field! Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom