• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First beach gold...At Pro. Now need real beach detector

medmike

Corolla OBX. Was doing towel line and found usual junk. Set AT Pro for recommended “best you can do” wet saltwater beach. Hit 15 yards or so from surf at low tide, 8 inches deap with ID 58 . Wow....now I’ve been reading up all vacation and thinking I need a deticated beach detector. I’d get a used detector and hope for under $500.....I’m once a year beach but will retire close to the shore:cool: From ring markings, it’s 14k white gold band.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 453
Ive been using the Sovereign GT for over four years now. I've picked up the Excalibur for the rain and also have the CTX. It's not waterproof, but that GT with th Coiltek WOT is a great, GREAT combination. I just keep going back to it. I have two. You can find a good used ones on eBay for $400-$500.

R5

Thanks Ra1der5......I will be narrowing it down soon and Sovereign GT was on my list. Have you thought about water proof mod? I’d like to get knee to waist deep if possible.

Ps. I love Steph Curry but my Cavs are tired of those guys!

Thanks Ra1der5......I will be narrowing it down soon and Sovereign GT was on my list. Have you thought about water proof mod? I’d like to get knee to waist deep if possible.

Ps. I love Steph Curry but my Cavs are tired of those guys!

I have seen some people waterproof their GTs. I think there might be some threads in the "Make of Fix It Yourself" board. For me, that's what the Excal is for. Basically the same machine with waterproofing, but you can expect to pay about $300-$400 more. If you go Excal, look for a used Excal "Blue".

Oh... and conga-rats on the ring BTW.

PS... the avatar goes back to my Raiders tomorrow. :D

R5

:dingding: Nice one! I too had been considering a Sovereign for a while.

I have used the Sov GT at the beach but got a teeny bit careless. Yes I got it wet. It took over 4 months to get it repaired and a good bit of clad finds to pay the bill. So I stick to my Excal for the beach.

Thanks for Excal recommends....there are a couple models. Which would be decent lowest cost used one?

Thanks for Excal recommends....there are a couple models. Which would be decent lowest cost used one?

If you're going Excal, I like the blues. Of course, you'll only find them used on EBay or on the classified board of this forum.

R5

Congrats on the gold!
I used a sov gt before i got my excal, they are very easy to put in to a plano box with a few waterproof cable clamps and away you go to waist deep water.

Nice save on the gold! Excal if possible, maybe even the Nox if the water is not rough. Blue, green, sword excaliburs, just a matter of learning them. I've used all three and see no difference in performance, quality wise maybe a blue is the best, but they are going on 10 plus years older then any of the greens. Good Luck..

Looks like i’ll be saving up for a Christmas beach detector from Santa, so I’ll have time to narrow it down. Leaning toward waterproof excal or Cz-21. Saw local CL for CZ-20. Should I stay away from the older CZ-20?

If it’s cheap, it might be a good buy - if it works OK, it probably is OK. If it’s broken - about $300 will get it upgraded to CZ21 model and returned to you by fisher.

Corolla OBX. Was doing towel line and found usual junk. Set AT Pro for recommended “best you can do” wet saltwater beach. Hit 15 yards or so from surf at low tide, 8 inches deap with ID 58 . Wow....now I’ve been reading up all vacation and thinking I need a deticated beach detector. I’d get a used detector and hope for under $500.....I’m once a year beach but will retire close to the shore:cool: From ring markings, it’s 14k white gold band.

With all the nox purchases I'm sure you can get a really good deal on used beach machines. I sold my Excal 2 in no time

Back
Top Bottom