Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Default conditions better

Spent some time on the south Florida Ocean beaches. Not to bad. Lots of coins, some junk jewelry. Better than it has been

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

The wind is making some differnce shifting some sand and especially smaller targets. Next week looks like we have some nice swells coming in....... might depend on which side of the island you are on as to what it does for your hunting.

D. Meeker

Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

Larry I'm not seeing to much improvement here. I was at Indian Rocks on the Gulf yesterday for a short visit, no detector. and the beach looked promising.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
Larry I'm not seeing to much improvement here. I was at Indian Rocks on the Gulf yesterday for a short visit, no detector. and the beach looked promising.
Actually IR is poor right now. Not sure what you saw yesterday but today there was a small cut and it was clear most of the beach was pulled into the water. Wading was all lumpy soft sand. Found a few targets including a tungsten ring but nothing worth the trip. Hopefully you will go in the water next time you say it is promising.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by imalookin2 View post
Actually IR is poor right now. Not sure what you saw yesterday but today there was a small cut and it was clear most of the beach was pulled into the water. Wading was all lumpy soft sand. Found a few targets including a tungsten ring but nothing worth the trip. Hopefully you will go in the water next time you say it is promising.
I was there visiting family that were on vacation. Just from what I could see from the condo was promising. I didn't go on the beach. But my sister said the waters edge was hard packed. From the condo I could see a lot of low areas that held water at low tide and cuts with sand bars as well as ditches. They were probably sanded but looked better than what I'm finding on the east coast.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
I was there visiting family that were on vacation. Just from what I could see from the condo was promising. I didn't go on the beach. But my sister said the waters edge was hard packed. From the condo I could see a lot of low areas that held water at low tide and cuts with sand bars as well as ditches. They were probably sanded but looked better than what I'm finding on the east coast.
If you were well north of the public lot then it might have been better. That part of the beach curves. It might be better soon, weather changes and all. HH

Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

Like Dew said,,,,moving a lot of light targets around and be in the right place at the right time may get you one,,,,,,I swear, right now its changing by the hour and tide,,,,,just be there when its moving,,,,GL HH

Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Elite Member

Tim...... you are right. Next day after our hunt just the difference the wind was making was moving stuff. Heavy wind out of the NE keep shifting you could see the water go from a foot to down to the sand. I picked up 7 pairs of sun glasses burred. The shell humps would even move. good time for light targets and small gold. Each beach has those spots..... N... S or in the middle that starts to cut first based on how the waves are coming in.

D. Meeker

Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by imalookin2 View post
If you were well north of the public lot then it might have been better. That part of the beach curves. It might be better soon, weather changes and all. HH
I was right across the street from the Pub. I think that was the name of the joint.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dewcon View post
Tim...... you are right. Next day after our hunt just the difference the wind was making was moving stuff. Heavy wind out of the NE keep shifting you could see the water go from a foot to down to the sand. I picked up 7 pairs of sun glasses burred. The shell humps would even move. good time for light targets and small gold. Each beach has those spots..... N... S or in the middle that starts to cut first based on how the waves are coming in.
The day after our hunt I went to our normal haunt and wind changed big time,,,,couldn't get out far and worked the shoreline form one side to the other,,,,,by the time I came back and worked the exact same area coming from the opposite direction, I got one,,,,,,it was amazing how two or three hours moved that sand and I know I didn't miss that many targets the first time,,,,,,,GL HH