Getting to the beach

beeryboats

Hi guys,
A newby here and to the hobby. I'm landlocked in Indiana looking forward to my first trip to Florida beaches with my At Pro. The problem is I don't have any container for it or the tools of the trade that I can toss on an airplane. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jay

Landlocked in Indiana?? No lakes there? I guarantee you will probably find more gold in an inland lake there than in Florida.

Tools of the trade would be a detector that can handle salt water, a travel scoop, at least a shortie wet suit and booties

Then you need to find a beach that isn't hammered all the time. I went to Florida for 3 weeks a few years back. I found 688 coins and one gold ring.

Good luck!

Most lakes controlled by the DNR and are off limits to us. I'm really looking for what folks use for transporting their detectors.

I went to California one time and just broke it down and put it in my carry on bag, but I wasn't carrying a less he or shovel. But I did buy a scoop out there and put it in my carry on. Just might have to be able to unpack it so they can look at it during inspection. Maybe leave the batteries at home. This was just my experience that happened about 3-4 years ago. Might not hurt to call the airport and ask them. Also I'd get there early so you can get thru security in case security gets particularly over cautious .

I am a freshwater hunter. I went to florida last year. I left my at pro at home and didn't detect. if you want to hunt dry sand, bring it along. I wouldn't bother bringing it for wet sand or water. break it down, take the batteries out and put it in your suitcase. I am going back to florida in October. either I am buying a different detector and a travel handle for my stealth scoop or I am not detecting. I hunt in the water.

When I went to Texas, I broke mine down and pack it in a different suit case, I put the important parts like coil and Monitor in with my clothes, and the rest in a separate back with my sand scoop and shovels . Worked good. TSA checked and no problems. And made it to and from Texas in one piece. Hope this helps you out. Just make sure you protect the important parts really good.

Here's an old thread on this subject you might find helpful -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=95467

If you're having trouble finding cases, you may want to check out the local pawn shops or music stores for a guitar case. Either a rectangular electric case (like for a Fender Strat) or even an acoustic case. You'd probably have more room to fit coils and a scoop in the acoustic case.

Unfortunately bigboar really didn't supply much detail about the actual foam cutting or the hot wire cutter he made. But here's a pretty detailed thread on the subject of fitting case foam from AR15.com -

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/292695_.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi guys,
A newby here and to the hobby. I'm landlocked in Indiana looking forward to my first trip to Florida beaches with my At Pro. The problem is I don't have any container for it or the tools of the trade that I can toss on an airplane. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jay

I travel regularly overseas and in country. I just put my AT Pro in my suitcase and my breakdown RTG scoop, too. I've never had any problems.

I suppose it could get stolen, but if that happens, that's what insurance is for.

I personally think it would be more of a PITA to travel with a metal detector, and I would suggest renting one while you're here. In the Tampa Bay area, there's Myers depot that rents, in the Orlando area there's Kellyco. I'm sure there are other places in different parts of the state that rent them, but I'll leave it to you to see if there is a place near where you'll be.

I agree, I wouldn't bother with the ATPro for the salt beaches. You can rent an Excal or CZ, and increase your chances.

Thanks guys. I had no idea the AT was no good in wet saltwater sand. I hadn't planned on getting wet anyway. I have a banjo hard case that I thought may work. I'm not sure it would all fit, or how far down to tear it apart. And I don't think the case will lock. And my wife just told me I'll need one of those sifter scoops she saw a guy use in Hawaii. God love her, she'll do anything to get rid of me for the day.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom