Went For The Clad…Was Rewarded With The Gold! (PIC HEAVY)

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I have been in a bit of a yellow slump recently, but I knew that any kind of water hunt would be impossible this weekend with winds at a constant 25-30 mphs and gusting near 40, so I decided I would have a nice dry sand hunt and chase the clad. I decided I would go to Miami Beach since that’s “clad central”. My goal was to get in a nice 3-4 hour hunt in with my Deleon with my “sand mower” coil and hopefully get to 100 coins.

As I was driving to the beach, I saw cones lined up on the overpass from Miami to Miami Beach with some police cars interspersed. I thought “there must race going on”. Well, lo and behold, after I parked and walked my 2 blocks to get to the beach, I was going through the heart of some race and even had a couple of runners that came off the street that I had to avoid while I was walking towards the beach on the sidewalk. :yikes: Just as I start walking on the beach I looked up at the palms and thought “well I won’t be in the water thank God!” A detectorist passed me heading away from the beach and I said to him, “Are you done already?”. He told me that “he couldn’t hear his detector through the headphones because of the wind”. At least I knew I wasn’t going to have that problem with the Koss I have on the Deleon. :music:

When I got to the water and saw the surf on the beach I knew I had made that right choice. :yes: I had some time in detecting before the sun came up and took a few pictures of the sunrise. (Since I’m usually water hunting my phone stays in the car). I worked the towel line and near the wet along with the areas that the beach loungers are usually placed but were not stationed there yet. Since these are the popular spots to hit for the dry sanders, (because they’re chasing the yellow), I decided that if I was going to reach my goal of 100 clad coins I needed to alter my tactics a bit so I started hitting some of the concession stands that were away from the beach. Halfway through the hunt I was rewarded at one of these concession stands when I got a target that read halfway between pull tabs and zinc pennies. I looked in the scoop expecting one of those small, aluminum screw tops and was surprised with the beautiful unexpected yellow! :dingding:

The wind had been blowing so hard that many coins had been uncovered and were just lying on the surface from the wind erosion. Loved that! What I didn’t love so much is when it gusted hard how I got my legs sand blasted from all the grains of sand that were peppering my legs like little BB’s. I saw 7 other :pirate2::pirates: there that day. There were 3 ladies and 2 guys working the sand, 1 on the wet sand and one guy at the end in a wetsuit that left looking a little dejected with his girlfriend. At home I weighed the ring, and it came in at 8.92 grs. and the acid test holds nicely for the 14K that is marked inside the ring. Got over my 100 clad coins, including my first 2 dollar ones for the year and the unexpected dry sand gold to boot! You gotta love this hobby! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 3-5-17 Runners.jpg
    3-5-17 Runners.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 3-5-17 Palms.jpg
    3-5-17 Palms.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 734
  • 3-5-17 Sunrise.jpg
    3-5-17 Sunrise.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 736
  • 3-5-17 Sandmower.jpg
    3-5-17 Sandmower.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 733
  • 3-5-17 Coin1.jpg
    3-5-17 Coin1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 737
  • 3-5-17 Coin2.jpg
    3-5-17 Coin2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 746
  • 3-5-17 Pirate.jpg
    3-5-17 Pirate.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 731
  • 3-5-17 Rough.jpg
    3-5-17 Rough.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 736
  • 3-5-17.jpg
    3-5-17.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 678
  • 20170305_170427_1488751536860.jpg
    20170305_170427_1488751536860.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 686
  • 3-5-17 Fits.jpg
    3-5-17 Fits.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Nice hunt Felix! Congrats on the gold! I decided to have a lazy weekend and stay in... I'm really interested in finding out what all this surf stirs up over the next week.

I see you like the clean sweep! How deep is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Hunt! Hey that clad looks like its been sitting there for a while? Nice gold!! Yeah those Runners a re a crazy bunch alright! Although, I got a giggle out of your legs getting sandblasted...yeah, you know you got an addiction! Seeing the Sunrise and getting the bark knocked off your legs!:laughing: You can probably wear some Yoga Pants?

Last edited:
I'm really interested in finding out what all this surf stirs up over the next week.

So am I! ;)

I see you like the clean sweep! How deep is it?

I can tell you that I don't notice any difference over the stock coil and I daresay it's probably deeper. It's just a bit heavy. After 4 hours my arm is sore. I only use it on the beach. When I use my Deleon for the dirt I swap to one of the regular coils because pinpointing is a bit more accurate. I can't just pop up coins with the CSC like I do with the concentrics.

Sometimes you shoot for the moon and you hit the stars! Awesome surprise gold and fun hunt- congrats! Finding exposed coins is always a treat. :yes:

Great Hunt! Hey that clad looks like its been sitting there for a while? Nice gold!! Yeah those Runners a re a crazy bunch alright! Although, I got a giggle out of your legs getting sandblasted...yeah, you know you got an addiction! Seeing the Sunrise and getting the bark knocked off your legs!:laughing: You can probably wear some Yoga Pants?

When the wind gusted heavily I actually walked backwards a bit. Even though I would probably fit right in with some of the outfits I see there, yoga pants ain't gonna happen Mud! :nono::dontthinkso::no2:
:laughing:

When the wind gusted heavily I actually walked backwards a bit. Even though I would probably fit right in with some of the outfits I see there, yoga pants ain't gonna happen Mud! :nono::dontthinkso::no2:
:laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Yeah! Its like Ow! Ow! Ow! A thousand bees stinging your legs and ankles! Funny! Only a beachhunter in a heavy wind can appreciate this sandblast experience! I carry a set of UnderArmour leggings in Rosie...sort of like Yoga pants, without the little strap...you pull them on under your shorts, pretty stylish actually...'Poor Mans Wetsuit'....Thats a nice Gold there Dude!...coupla hunnerd bucks...! Well worth the pain!

:laughing::laughing: Yeah! Its like Ow! Ow! Ow! A thousand bees stinging your legs and ankles! Funny! Only a beachhunter in a heavy wind can appreciate this sandblast experience! I carry a set of UnderArmour leggings in Rosie...sort of like Yoga pants, without the little strap...you pull them on under your shorts, pretty stylish actually...'Poor Mans Wetsuit'....Thats a nice Gold there Dude!...coupla hunnerd bucks...! Well worth the pain!
A lot of people pay good money down here for skin resurfacing, I got mine for free and with a gold ring tossed in! :good: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom