Went curb mining, first yard invite and first silver

Dino

Been doing quite a bit of curb mining the past week or so. The street just a couple blocks over they are tearing up and completely replacing street, utilities, sidewalks, the whole bit. Its also one of the older sections of town (several houses date back to 1900-1910). So been hitting it pretty frequently to learn some of the finer points of my MXT. :) Was just about to pack it up this morning and got stopped by a guy in his yard that had some questions about my detector and metal detecting in general. Little bit of small talk later and got an invite to detect his yard. Found plenty of the standard fare, bottle caps, aluminum cans that have made a trip through the lawn mower, scrap pieces of tin/flashing, nails, a few zinc pennies, and a single dime.

After coming home and cleaning everything up turns out the dime is a 1960 D - first silver coin I've dug since really jumping back in the hobby only a couple weeks ago. I'd post a picture of it, but I'd be embarrassed since I did manage to scratch it getting out of the ground - oops.

I know there has to be some really old stuff there, I think the house was probably build sometime in the 1920's and more interestingly one of the major public schools sat right across the street until sometime in I believe the 60's when it was demolished. I just need to get better at being able to listen and find the deeper stuff between all the surface garbage.

Yeah! Talk is cheap! ;)

My collection of "aluminum cans that have made a trip through the lawn mower" shards can't be beat! ;) Bring it on!!

Put your aluminum cans against the collection of rusty nails we used to have! ;) Ranch we used to live on there were nails everywhere. 16 penny, ringshanks, roofing nails, horseshoe nails, there were nails where there should be no earthly reason for nails to be. Its our impression there was some evil soul who just walked around and threw out handfuls of nails :mad:. We pulled them out of the ground by the 5 gallon bucket full. Fortunately ground up aluminum cans were something more rare!

Bad/good news about the dime. Turns out after getting it cleaned up a bit and a chance to look at it under some higher magnification what looked like 1960 is really 1969 with an extremely worn 9. So not a silver, but close! Close enough there there is likely some silver close by. Good news is I don't have to feel bad about scratching it anymore! ;)

Perhaps '69 is my year, because I found a '69 penny yesterday (different curb strip though) ;). Kinda unique for this area since it was from the San Fran mint.

Back
Top Bottom