1-pd? Update .... Pics added

lonewolf_one

Forum Supporter
I hit the beach today with my wife in tow. She's content to hang out and catch some rays while I do my thing. It appears as though I may have to bring her more often, :shock: as she seems to be my good luck charm. She pulled up a chair in the sand and I hit the waterline. First couple of swings I get a hit. One scoop and the signal disappears. Sift out the scoop and there sits a wedding band on top of the pile! I check it out and it appears to be plated junk, as the gold finish is not that of typical yellow. I get it home and put it under the light with a magnifier and the marking is 1-PD. As I understand it, PD stands for palladium, but I could find no reference either through google or search here on the forum for the 1- portion. I'd appreciate it if those in the know could clue me in, as I am clueless. :shrug: Ask my wife, she'll attest to the fact! :laughing:

Last edited:
Palladium should stay nice under water as far as i know, but i've only found one and it was like a darker silver color, and very heavy for it's size.

Ive not seen a PD ring that was plated. How about a picture? They seem to be putting gold on everything, id have to see how its on the ring. Like Zee said they are heavy rings most of the time 950 PD. Ive seen them mixed where say a spinner part is gold and the other part is PD..... but never as you described.

Dew

Here's the pics...

The first pic is of the portion that looked as though it might be gold, although it was immediately suspect as it wasn't shiny enough....

The next pic is of another portion that lead me to believe it was just plated junk....

Here's the mark...

The weight....

And size reference....

I swiped my wife's jewelery cleaning cloth and gave it a scrubbing. It appears as though the yellowish tinge can be rubbed off with a fair amount of "elbow grease". So if it's plated, there isn't much left of it at this point. :lol: I'm still a newbie to the pirate game and this is my first wedding band. Hopefully the pics will help someone make a determination. Thanks for any feedback folks.

I'm not sure if palladium gets funky under water or not, sometimes silvers can develop a gold colored shine to them (heart breakers), but clean off pretty easily, maybe the same with pd that's been there for awhile?

From what I can find on the net your ring is palladium plated. The letter 1 probably means 1 % palladium. As you can see it is plated so it makes sense. According to what I read pal is used to plate lower end rings or to plate a ring containing nickel. Many people have allergies to nickel and the pal allows them to wear it. I resists tarnish but plated always fails after a time.

Back
Top Bottom