My wife could be a DAR!

Birddog1911

My wife has gotten into Ancestry.com and others like I have in metal detecting. She just found out that her 5th Grandfather fought in the American Revolution!

What makes this even somewhat ironic, is her mother came over from England!:lol:

My wife has gotten into Ancestry.com and others like I have in metal detecting. She just found out that her 5th Grandfather fought in the American Revolution!

What makes this even somewhat ironic, is her mother came over from England!:lol:

I am thinking that back in Revolutionary times things were Damn hard. I can imagine MANY people fleeing Back to England afterwards and then eventually migrating back to America.

but..

you didn't say what side he fought on?

Well, I'm pretty sure that Daughters of the American Revolution don't recognize the British side!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The 5th Grandfather was on her father's side, her mom was from England.

Congratulations to her! That is an honor! There are clubs and organizations of DAR that participate in parades and things of that sort. Should be fun for her.

Cool! Lots of research and all that! Turned out good in your Wifes case! The bummer about tracking down ancestors is, a guy doesnt really want to go down this road for what a guy might find out about his lineage...In my case, some of them are flat out cowardly B'tards..Sure its interesting, but it can be a huge let down...

My Old Man got into this effort after he retired, He tried to track and trace down our lineage/ancestors...What he found out was not pretty...Seems a long time ago, Three Brothers jumped on a pickle boat and came over to the New World...Then, During the Rev War they all got into a bar room brawl in Pennsylvania and killed a guy...

The smartest one skedaddled off to Canada, where he really made jack in the Fur trade, supported the English, and even has a college named after him to this day...Pillar of the Community....The other two were involved in a long time running 'revenge battle' with they guy they killed family...So yeah, all through Ohio, up into Michigan, always on the move and watching their six....

Finally, in an ambush shootout, one Brother was killed down by Three Rivers!..in a blaze of glory! Charging into the breech and Swinging a hickory axe handle when the powder ran out! The other lone Brother briskly and bravely scampered off into the darkness! Made his way up to MKG...met a woman of some sort, and his progeny have been running from trouble ever since! Genetics! So yeah..sort of a bummer, I hail from the loins of a 'coward scamper offer'...:laughing:

I often wonder about my rich Canadian relatives?...Would they put me up if I showed up on their doorstep and invoked the Family name? Honorary Masters degree bestowed? Warm welcome? Some damn thing worth a Fiddlers Fuss?? Doubtful..Eh?

I'm sure my American lineage and story is not unique.....I bet theres plenty of modern day Immigrants that can relate to this tale...came here with nothing, killed some folks, stayed on the move and found a way to make a living? Survival..."You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to Fold 'em...Know when to walk away, know when to run"....:laughing:....

Although, looking back, I have charged into the breech a time or two...against extreme odds and a certain death outcome...so it is interesting where this unexplained propensity comes from genetically speaking..I dont like to base my Life on what my ancestors did, although it explains a lot about my barroom behavior and my appreciation of a nice piece of hickory, sometimes a guy just cant help themselves I guess...:laughing:

Last edited:
I am a little pissy that non of my family tree managed to fight in either the Revolutionary or Civil war. Family has been her since the 1700s. Several in the war, just not my direct line. Oh well.

BCD

My mother was DAR, I was CAR and SAR.
My qualifying ancestor was named Sebastian Haupt, who had a farm in PA and arrived in the Colonies in the early 1730's. He fought in the Revolution.
Next, during the Civil War, my ancestor there was General Hermann Haupt, Lincoln's head of Army Engineering (Today's Corp of Engineers). He built most of the railroads and bridges during the war and had a locomotive named after him.
WWI was my Grandfather, who immigrated from Austria/Hungary and was in the US Army and was worried that he would be fighting his brother in Germany.
Dad was an Army Officer who fought in WWII, Korea, and involved in Vietnam, the Jakarta Uprising, Bay of Pigs, Taiwan separation, and the Occupation of Japan.
Brother fought in Vietnam. Sister served in the Air Force monitoring enemies in Turkey.
I was an Army officer (Cobra Pilot) and fought in Granada and the evacuation of Saigon.
Later...as a pilot for Blackwater Aviation and then Chief Pilot with operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, Africa, and the Philippines under Defense and State Department contracts.
Currently married to an active duty Air Force Colonel who served in Afghanistan.
Her grandfather was a Marine who was fighting on Iwo Jima duringr the flag raising that became the iconic statue. Both of her brothers are Army Vets.

We are a military family with military roots going back to the Revolution. I wonder if my son will continue the tradition! Hope so...(He is 10)

I don't know if I had any relatives that fought in the Revolutionary War but I had an ancestor that laid flowers after the battle of Bunker Hill. My Great Grandfather fought in the Civil War.

My wifes family comes out of the hollar in KY. I have a hunch her marrying me may be the only branch on that tree :?: :laughing:

Dad's family came here in the 1880s, my gggrandfather and ggggrandfather came from Scotland planning to walk from New York to Indiana and ended up selling some jewelry to pay for the trip. They didn't have to sell a huge diamond ring that my Dad still wears. After a couple of months the dad stole his sons paycheck and went back to Scotland.
Mom's family she traced back until they found someone hung for stealing horses, and Grandma put an end to any more research. I have my Grandfathers discharge papers from WWI as well as the Montgomery Ward 12 gauge pump he bought with his discharge bonus.
Both sides have a long history of military service. Great grandfather spent the Spanish American War in Alaska, Grandfather was also in Alaska for WWI. Dad's father spent WWII in California, Dad spent Vietnam in Indiana, and I kept the commies out of Germany. Somehow we all avoided combat.

My aunt traced my moms side back, have an ancestor who came from Portugal and he fought alongside and was personal friends with George Washington and Lafayette. I have read the manuscript and it is very interesting to learn about your ancestors.

Last edited:
A little more info, my moms maiden name was Francisco, my ancestor was Peter Francisco. Google his name, quite an interesting read.

My Grandma worked for Mission Control during the Apollo Years.

She got a Memo from Someone.. can't remember who.. thanking her for her help getting Apollo 13 home safe and sound.

Back
Top Bottom