Trout Opener

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Tomorrow is the Trout opening day here in NY. Usually on the 1st, but this year on the 2nd because of Easter.

I took the 2nd and 3rd off from work in order to fish with a lifelong friend.

We fish every opener together when possible, catch a few fish here and there, but its more about the tradition these days.

We'll leave tomorrow morning about 0600, hit some of the local creeks, maybe even hook a steelhead, but probably not.

Then we'll pull out the top maps and look for likely spots we haven't tried before and hit them.

We continue this until lunch time, then the tailgate comes down, and the propane stove is set up, a couple fold up chairs put up.

Boils some water for some coffee, throw some baked beans and ham chunks in a pan on low heat to simmer, and when their close to getting ready throw some dogs and kielbasa in a cast iron pan. slice up some hard rolls, get out the mustard and onions and wait for the sausages to cook.

Feast time on simple food!

Maybe another cup of coffee or a cold brew or two, then pack up and hit some more likely spots.

Continue like this until 1800 or so.

Sometime catch some trout, sometimes not.

Who cares?

My friend heads back to work on the 3rd, but I'm planning on doing a little detecting.

Best of luck.. What do you have there Rainbow , Brook or Brown?

Beautiful Man!...Just beautiful! Get us some pics and report back! Do you ever flip over river rocks and catch and boil up some crawdads off those trout streams?? just wondering...those are some good memories...fishing and cooking stuff on a river bank with a good Pal...

Best of luck.. What do you have there Rainbow , Brook or Brown?

Thanks!

We have all three.

We like the smaller brooks and creeks that we don't think get fished by anyone other than ourselves..... we never see boot prints, trash etc.

In these little places are the brookies, in my opinion the prettiest fish there ever was.

A 6 in brookie is a good fish in those little places.

Thanks!

We have all three.

We like the smaller brooks and creeks that we don't think get fished by anyone other than ourselves..... we never see boot prints, trash etc.

In these little places are the brookies, in my opinion the prettiest fish there ever was.

'Brookies are the prettiest fish out there' Agreed!..game too...voracious..we used to fish the way out back beaver ponds and waterways up in the Black Hills for them...Here in Michigan its Steelheads and Browns...great big fish..but for sure, sneaking up and flipping light weight on a little native brookie is really some kind of treasure....

Beautiful Man!...Just beautiful! Get us some pics and report back! Do you ever flip over river rocks and catch and boil up some crawdads off those trout streams?? just wondering...those are some good memories...fishing and cooking stuff on a river bank with a good Pal...

We sure did! Go great with some really hot horseradish cocktail sauce

Pics form 2016.

Missed last year, surgery...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 102
The way you described that, you don't even need pictures to see it. I love a good dinner of Brookies. We live on the Ausable river here and it's quite the trout fishery. Our season dosen't start till the last weekend this month.

Hope you had an awesome trout opener and made more good memories. The statewide trout opener for us in Pa isn't for another two Saturdays, but this coming one is the mentored youth day. There's a lot of mixed feelings about how the state does this, but I personally think it's great for the kids. Reading your post made me think of all the great times I had growing up with my dad and my brother in Potter County. I'll be taking my little girl out this weekend (had to pull some strings, but I managed to get the day off) and can't wait to make some memories with uer. I'm thinking about tying some mop flies for her and using a small float on her spin cast. We will probably hit either a kids area or the trout club I belong to. It should be a blast! Hope you have a most excellent season and I hope you did get to hook into some steel!

Thanks!

We have all three.

Brook trout are marvellous looking fish, I remember hitting creeks as a kid that looked like nothing but a street overflow runoff and hammering native brookies all day long. Some were only a couple inches long, and some were a couple feet long. Then I started dirt fishing and rarely ever drop a line in the water. Although last summer I did pretty well kayaking for largemouth. Thanks for the good memories :cool:

Attachments

• 0814171603 (1).jpg
    0814171603 (1).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom