Cliff490 & AeRoFoRcE

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
this is your thread to enter your finds for the contest and also keep in touch with each other.

First Finds!

Had a few first finds today. Went to an old homesite/swimming hole. The homesite was overgrown and will have to wait until the fall. Only searched a small section of the path to the swimming hole and found:

1912 Wheat
1917 Wheat
1925 Wheat
1955 Wheat
1902 'V' Nickel
1921 Buffalo Nickel
and an Unknown date large cent. Smooth on both sides.

All were first finds! wo0t!

Also found the gold crown (maybe some type of jewelry?) Unfortunately, no way of testing if it is real gold. :( And the copper piece in the picture below. Not sure what it is. It was folded about 6 times and was half the size of a dime when I found it. After CAREFULLY unfolding the metal it turned into that!

Going back this Saturday... Seems promising that I'll find more!

As far as points go... It looks like I got 105 points! correct?

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 247
Well I finally got some points to post:D You may think I have been holding out but thats not the case as it's has been slow going and I have been out every day early AM trying to beat the heat and just not finding much:(

The first day out only yielded a single wheat no clad and little trash second day only two wheats. So i changed locations and came up with a few more wheats and 4 O.K. Vendor tokens these were made from 1910-1932 and were used for gambling. They were not all in one hole but, scattered around a tree stump.

Then my blessing in disguise came when my daughters friend told me her grandmother couldn't come after her and I would have to take her home 150 miles east river:shock: I figured mize well make the best of it and do some detecting along the way. As we pulled in to this small town of just over 800 a large sign read established 1882:tumble: Then when we pulled in to grandmas drive way Wow this house looks like an old castle with the pointed round roof tops and balconies!

Grandma said sure go ahead and detect, started off finding lots of broken up farm toys then what i thought was going to be a deep tin can turned out to be a 44 half dollar, then some wheats a 41 merc and a 60 rosie.

Battery pack went dead, popped in the back up and it went dead in 1/2 hour camera battery was dead also :( I was a bit unprepared but came out OK any way:spin:

There are so many score boards floating around I hope I am using the right one? its from this thread
contest info **** READ THIS FIRST PLEASE
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=17211

and if I added correctly I should have 168 points

I also found an interesting rock that looks like worms have been crawling through it

cliff490

MVC-287F_WEB.jpg

I went to a near by city park on the Reservation. Still trying to find the age of it but I don't think its too old.
Nice moist easy digging and plenty of clad first coin dug was an 82 Canadian cent = 0 points
The park is large and few people were using it didn't find any thing old but did come across an unmarked necklace in my path, am hoping I can count the points even though it was on the surface? for a total of 10 more points?

Cliff490

MVC-290F_WEB.jpg

Well I finally got permission to hunt the old Indian camp site
http://www.gwtc.net/~post94/pastpowow.htm
Its the place the Indians camped for the annual Frontier Days celebration.
I have been working on the owner of the property since before the tournament began. The plan was for him to hunt it with me but he has just been too busy so he gave me the go-ahead today:yes:

I only hunted about 2 hours till the heat got to me its tough hunting with the tall grass and weeds as it is about a 5 acer pasture with 1 Shetland pony who fortunately has layed down in a few spots and mashed the grass down.
I managed to get a 1916,17, and a 36 merc and what I believe is a smashed bell or decoration from an Indian dace costume. The 1916 is my oldest coin so-far I may have to return these to the property owner or hopefully he will let me buy them

MVC-292F_WEB.jpg

8/12/08 Indian Camp Site

I went back to the old Indian camp site again today. Got a 1919, 27 wheat Then my oldest coin so-far a 1904 Dime:shock:
For 35 more points.
Also found a small brass or copper bead a very tinny sequin some harness rivets a smashed thimble and a neat barrette marked "GENUINE CLOISONNÉ" wish I could count points on it:(

MVC-300F_WEB.jpg

MVC-293F_WEB.jpg

MVC-294F_WEB.jpg

MVC-298F_WEB.jpg

MVC-299F_WEB.jpg

Looks like this is going to be a super site to really work over!! The '04 Dime is way cool!

Went back to the camp yesterday and this morning.
Four more Wheats a ring a button and a neat little bell.

I have covered most of the easy spots, places the tall grass is smashes or eaten down. Also been finding quite a few shotgun casings rivets from harness and steel cans.

MVC-301F_WEB.jpg

MVC-303F_WEB.jpg

MVC-304F_WEB.jpg

MVC-305F_WEB.jpg

Cliff... I love finding old rings even if they are not gold or silver and that one is pretty cool congrats on all your finds..

I was trying to figure a way I could hunt through all the tall grass and weeds plus I figured the area between the camp site and the actual old fair grounds could hold some targets.
Only the camp site is an open pasture all the rest is a junk yard so too speak, lots of old broken down machinery, piles of branches, buildings and just plain trash.
I always park behing the shop and walk a trail in I left the stock coil on and took a 5'' coil with me the first part of the trail has been mowed I took about three steps from the vehicial and got a shallow strong signal expecting it to some type of trash Insted out poped this 1903 dime I had just beat my old record with 1904 dime:shock:
Next goal is to break the 1800 mark.
15 more points!

MVC-309F_WEB.jpg

MVC-310F_WEB.jpg

A lot has been going on since my last post, I wont get in to all the details but I did get out a few times to hunt the camp site.
I will try to get my clad from other sites counted and posted before the end of the tournament.
I have found more rings at this place than any other that that I have hunted including this very small one its only 1/2'' across. This site hasn't seen any human activity since 1962 so it have very little trash. I am digging nearly every signal. Yesterday I found a lead seal with the center punch out the signal that it gave off made me think it was a silver dollar:shock: it's 1 7/8'' across and 1/8'' thick and reads W.M. MCDONALD NOTARY SOUTH DAKOTA

My first find yesterday was the 1902 V nickel I have been hoping for Buffalo but am pleased with the V its my first one

345 points for this post

11.27.08 camp hunt 008.JPG

11.27.08 camp hunt 011.JPG

11.27.08 camp hunt 012.JPG

11.27.08 camp hunt 009.JPG

It warmed up to 48 degrees today so i went back to the camp site and found 9 more wheats and a nice 43 D merc

When it came out of the ground I saw that it was a D in nice shape the other side was was dirty I put it in a pocket by it's self all the time i was wondering if it was a 1916,, it's still the nicest merc that I have found

105 points for this post
total points for cliff490 939
partner AeRoFoRcE 105

I don't know what happened to AeRoFoRcE no activity since 8/25 and no response to PMs
1044 poins for the team

Image.jpg

Image (2).jpg

Image (3).jpg

Back
Top Bottom