Mindblowing 1771 Homesite Hunt -- I *MUST* Go Back!!

PlasteredDragon

Elite Member
An opportunity to hunt a property with a home built in 1771 here in Massachusetts just dropped into my lap. In just the first few hours I made the find of a lifetime -- a pair of George Washington inaugural buttons, and an extremely rare variety thereof! The homeowner let me keep one of them, plus a handful of other flat buttons I found.

In addition I found a beautiful object that looks like a brooch or a ladies scarf clip (no idea what it is, can anyone help me?), a large monogrammed plate (either says LL, or TT, or JJ, does anybody know what this is?), a small heart pendant, a handful of modern change. What an amazing day!

I cannot wait to go back... pictures follow:

All flat buttons fresh out of the soil, two GWI's on left:
42153644892_2fa0d379ed_c.jpg

Finds laid out:
41299683905_873385664b_c.jpg

GWI Button that I got to keep, hi res:
28327468238_4986a11f9d_c.jpg

Floral button, hi res (anyone recognize this?):
40393159010_0da5b28353_c.jpg

Plain button, hi res:
28327472648_14a808f99d_c.jpg

Small heart pendant, originally silver plated I think, hi res:
40393159970_9bfeddfc44_c.jpg

Brooch? Can anyone tell me what this is? Hi res:
28327471628_80567a1e11_c.jpg

Monogrammed plate. TT? JJ? LL? Can anyone tell me what this is? Hi res:
41479208144_b84a363fae_c.jpg

This is absolutely the best group of finds I've seen Chuck dig yet. I recommend that he sends some good photos of that GW Button into Garrett's.

Old coins are fun, but great relics will always be special.

Congrats on the killer finds !

Waiting to get back to a site like that can keep up at night ... :run1:

Good luck on the return hunt !

that is amazing. Congrats on finding all of those great finds and its great that both you and the homeowner got to keep a great piece of history.

Would of had a hard time giving up a GW. Button

A really nice finders feel would have to be included

As of yet the homeowner isn't willing to let me be on the property when they aren't there. So when he had to leave, I had to leave. :-)

However, he did tell me the house has a dirt cellar... and he wants me to check it out. So psyched!

Oh holy !!!!!!

Small coil my friend!

I would expect to see Indian Heads there.

Like being gracious enough to let a stranger detect their yard and keep everything else, including the nicer of the two buttons? Sounds like a more than fair fee...

Congrats on a scoring a nice site and a spectacular group of finds Dragon! A double helping of a bucket lister button? :aok:

I would find it impossible to make such a request. It's *his* property, not mine. Everything I find on it belongs to *him*. Yes the GWI buttons are very rare finds, and yes it would kill me to give them both up, but they aren't mine, and I am not a thief. :-)

The arrangement I typically enter in to with landowners is what I call "Fifty Dollars / Final Say". I agree in advance to automatically turn over anything to the land owner which is worth more than $50, and in return I'd like to be able to keep anything worth less than $50, but ultimately the landowner has final say on whatever I find, because of course, it's all his.

Of course, I have had people take my all my best finds (even ones worth less than $50) and if that happens I just never go back to their property because it's not worth it. I usually tell people in advance that if they take all my best finds worth less than $50, I probably won't come back, and will encourage them to get their own detector and search the property themselves.

Given our agreement, for this landowner to allow me to retain the better of the two GWI buttons (clearly worth more than $50) was exceptionally generous. And because I was honest with him about what we had, we've built a bond of trust that has translated into permission to come back and search the property any time. In addition, he's posted on a local community facebook group telling people what a great guy I am, and encouraging others to have me out to check their properties. This is a big win for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom