Any previous ACE 250 owners?

thewoodsman

First off I would like to take the time to say thanks for reading and for any and all advice you might be able give me...

My question in a nut shell is have any of you had the Ace 250 and “graduated” to another detector, and did you then find more/deeper/more accurate finds? Are you glad you upgraded?

To go a little more in depth…I have had the Ace for a few years and am falling into the grass is greener on the other side ruse. I have hunted with a friend who has a Minelab Safari and constantly digs 12+ inch targets. I max out at 8” (pushing the limits) on a perfectly lying quarter, not bad by any means for most coins. Given the simplicity of the Ace, that is my max with the soils that I hunt anyway. Also at the beach I get false signals every 10 steps it seems (minerals?), a little annoying but I have been dealing with it.

I am really looking forward to getting a new detector though, one that isn’t yellow and I’d like to move out of the entry level detectors. My two main areas besides parks and yards that I hunt are beaches and fields. Being that they have been dredged and plowed finding items at a deeper and sometimes shallower depth does occur. I metal detect to get outdoors and for the unknown of you might find, also enjoy the fact that I am cleaning the ground of liter too. (side note: my “treasures pouch”: tiny…my trash BAG: huge)

I am not asking for recommendations on a detector but if what I have researched seems off and you have the detector I would appreciate you telling me your experiences. I looked up detectors that have been called good detectors, ones I can keep for a while and not feel the need to upgrade. I have heard the Tesoro brand, in particular, the Tejon goes deep but only in all metal mode, when you discriminate you lose the depth? The Minelab E-trac I hear goes deep and can accurately detect targets, but iron hides silver? The XP Deus I hear goes the deepest, but on deep targets sounds like iron? Also you can upgrade it so it never goes “out of style”? The Garrett AT PRO I have read has trouble with iron masking…losing good coins hiding under a nail? The Fisher F75 I heard ID’s well, but the depth isn’t that good? I know there are no perfect detectors, but want to make a choice based on real reviews. There were a few others, but these seemed to be the most recommend in my $500-1500 budget. Thank you

The Minelab E-trac I hear goes deep and can accurately detect targets, but iron hides silver?

The XP Deus I hear goes the deepest, but on deep targets sounds like iron? Also you can upgrade it so it never goes “out of style”?

The Garrett AT PRO I have read has trouble with iron masking…losing good coins hiding under a nail?

The Fisher F75 I heard ID’s well, but the depth isn’t that good?

Iron CAN mask targets, but Two Tone Ferrous with a minelab finds silver in iron,

The DEUS is a deep machine, and ANY detector deep targets can sound like iron

Garrett AT PRO SHINES in iron, that's the whole point of iron audio

The F75 is one of the DEEPEST seeking machines out there

The F75 is very fast, very light, and among the deepest seeking detectors, it excels at old coin, and relic hunting.

The E-trac is once again among the deepest detectors, however it seems to excel as silver coins hunting, I've owned 2 Explorer's, which were also FBS, they go deep, but like a slow sweep speed. I plan to get an E-trac in the next month or two which will be added to my arsenal as a deep silver hunter.

I have not used the Deus, but people seem to love them, they are light, and fast, but I hear from most that depth is slightly less than the above two detectors.

You may also want to consider the V3i, it's equal to the above detectors in depth, and something you can grow with as you gain experience. I love mine, if you're a tech guy, you'd probably love it as well. Color HD display, and adjustable everything.

The F75 will not work as well as the others on salt beaches, as it's single frequency. A lot of factors come into play such as your sweep speed preference, your willingness to learn a detector, detector weight, display, tones, etc.

If you want something light and fast that will excel at relic hunting then get the F75,
If you want something that you can swing slow and get the deep silver, then get the E-trac...
If you want some deep seeking and very adjustable and tech filled then get the V3i
If you want something light and deep, that does well around trash, get the Deus.

Honestly, I'd expect them to all get the same depth, or at least close. Base your decision off other factors such as such as displays, features, etc.

Thank you for your responses, I did not mean to trash your detectors, just see if what I read matched up...

I figured they were all good, so at the end of the day they are indeed much better than the Ace 250?

thanks again

I started with an ace 250 and 350 inland. Would hate to have to go back to one. They will find gold as good or better as say an etrac. But silver you will be struggling in comparison. I did see a new guy trying his new ace 250 in our salt wet sand. Man I want to forget the days I wasted time trying that:lol:

Thank you for your responses, I did not mean to trash your detectors, just see if what I read matched up...

I figured they were all good, so at the end of the day they are indeed much better than the Ace 250?

thanks again

I can attest that yes they are, 100%, for the simple fact that I bought my uncle and cousin 250's to detect with me. Don't get me wrong, they are great detectors, and will find most stuff in the 1-5in range, maybe deeper, but on several targets I located, and we tried to locate with the 250's, they would not even get a whisper. The 250 is a great entry detector, but the higher end ones will go deeper, disc better, ID better, and do just about everything better. I can almost guarantee you will find many more items are sites you've already detected by upgrading. I think my uncle and cousin started thinking I bought them broken detectors when they weren't able to locate many of the targets they tried to check. If you have the money and love the hobby, do it, you won't look back.

I used an Ace 250 long enough to get to nearly 100 in clad. I found a deal on craigslist for an atpro, lesche, and propointer so the upgrade part just came to me. I've only used the atpro for about 10-12 hours but it's not at all a big jump from the 250 learning curve wise. I haven't taken it to a grass field where the targets might actually be deeper than what a 250 would hit, but just the retune speed of the machine makes it so much better. It's hard to really understand how much better this makes things until you experience it for yourself. And yeah... the yellow of the 250 was starting to get to me :lol:

I've had an ace 250 for about 4 years. loved it and had some good finds. still have it even. Upgraded to an AT PRO about 2 months ago and haven't picked the 250 back up. I dont have any expert advise on any other detector as i've never had the chance to use them..I think it boils down to them just being a more higher end machines. ya get what ya pay for type of thing. but the 250 is still a great machine.

I have an AT Pro which I was pleased with. I just had the stock coil for about 3 months.

Then I got the 5X8 and I am really very pleased. I don't want to put the stock coil back on any time soon.

Coins at 9 to 10 inches are easily found with both coils, but the 5X8 is like swinging with nothing on the end of the shaft and zeros in on targets easier.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it...

one last thing if I may...is there any black Friday or Christmas sales that I should look for a detector at...or better to get anytime? Thanks again...

I just upgraded from an ace 250 to an AT pro and I am glad I did , there is a world of dfference between the two and it was definately a big step up. Though the ace was not my first detector , I had quite a few detectors in the past , but the ace was my first venture into visual I.D. detectors. The ace proved to me that the extra visual information was indeed a benefit , but the extra information the pro gives both visual and audio goes way beyond what the ace does. Not trying to sell you on the AT pro , they are just one example of a machine that is a huge improvement over the ace 250. There are others ,....actually there are even better detectors than the ace even in its own level/price range. Whatever you get , you will probably notice right away that the retune speed is much faster than the ace and it dont false as much as the ace and sounds better than the ace. Upgrading to the next level wont guarantee ou more finds but it can better your chances quite a bit once you know the new detector.

I too upgraded from the ACE 250 to the AT Pro. For me it was a real easy transition. The ATP stands tall above the 250 with all its features.

In my opinion, any time you upgrade detectors, you don't necessarily dig less trash but you locate more treasure than you could with a lesser detector.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

Iron CAN mask targets, but Two Tone Ferrous with a minelab finds silver in iron,

The DEUS is a deep machine, and ANY detector deep targets can sound like iron

Garrett AT PRO SHINES in iron, that's the whole point of iron audio

The F75 is one of the DEEPEST seeking machines out there

I agree!

I just upgraded from an ace 250 to an AT pro and I am glad I did , there is a world of dfference between the two and it was definately a big step up. Though the ace was not my first detector , I had quite a few detectors in the past , but the ace was my first venture into visual I.D. detectors. The ace proved to me that the extra visual information was indeed a benefit , but the extra information the pro gives both visual and audio goes way beyond what the ace does. Not trying to sell you on the AT pro , they are just one example of a machine that is a huge improvement over the ace 250. There are others ,....actually there are even better detectors than the ace even in its own level/price range. Whatever you get , you will probably notice right away that the retune speed is much faster than the ace and it dont false as much as the ace and sounds better than the ace. Upgrading to the next level wont guarantee ou more finds but it can better your chances quite a bit once you know the new detector.

Good post.:yes:

Still own the 250... and three more machines

I got my ACE250 as my first machine in 2011, in 2012 I got a deal on a used White's Surf PI so I could water hunt as well. A month later I got a used Sovereign Elite and let me tell you, that Sovereign Elite gets unbelievable depth!

May of this year I got the E-Trac and WOW! what a machine. I was primarily a beach hunter until I got access to a Ghost Town site last winter. The site is way too trashy for the ACE, and the Sov works there but is a sound only machine and as such it is tedious to use at this site. My wintertime hunting buddy has an E-Trac (partly because of my Sov he tried out the year before) and he let me play with it at this site before I got mine. It was a dream to use and got about 1/2 to 3/4 the depth of the Sov when compared on the same targets at this site. Once you know your E-Trac, you will find that Silver won't hide from it, not even behind a nail or 3...

Are all these machines better than the ACE? In a word, YEP, but I still swing my ACE occasionally and it still produces the goods.

Back
Top Bottom