He quit

I know to some of the guys (and gals) I've hunted with it seems I have left the hobby as so many do in their first year. Don't give up on me! I'm here and always will be. Just very busy in life now and something has to give. I get out now and then, mostly close to home and alone.

Metal detecting has given me peace in my life that no other activity could replace. I interact with the urchins of society on a daily basis and have seen things no one should ever have to see. This hobby gives me the quiet time I need to unwind and reflect on the important things in life. It has forced me to become a much more patient and appreciative of the small things.

The other day, I was confessing to my detecting buddy (coincidentally, the author of this thread) that I haven't found one silver coin this year and never found anything gold. However, I did find some great relics (just as thrilling to me) and always reflect on my first year in which I found several great coins, including a seated dime (my first silver) and a Walking Liberty half dollar.

I may not be full throttle now, but will ALWAYS be throttled to metal detect.

You will see me here in a year for sure... I've dug waaaaayyyy too many pulltabs to quite now

i have been at it for nearly 25 yrs on and off, i just always seem to come back to it, i cant get enough, i dont always have the time with a young family but it makes it all the better when i can get out.
heres to the next 25 yrs:oldguy:
Dan
Almost the same thing for me. Dad bought me my first detector in 84. Been going strong for years now, but with the wife and I both working and a seven month old and six year old in the house its tougher these days to get out.

Something thats a part of leaving is the machines, Today you can get hundreds of types, but the new people grab the best without the know how to use them. I just got my new machine and its back to learning how to use it. Maybe a simple F2 or bounty hunter will give them the experericne they need to go forward and stay in the game, what do you think?

In January it will mark my first year of MDing. I had a pretty good year with no hope of doing better, but if I get out there I will find it something.

I Musky fish ..alot and for nearly 15years..so Mding and musky hunting are alot alike..I see new ppl buy all the best equip. subscribe to all the sites..but yet no big fish....then quit...!!!
**you must put in the time and be dilligent and smart about the approach and execute with intent and purpose...you cant pick what size will bite and you cant prdeict the pressure..however..if you keep at it and dont give up and keep a positive mental attitude..(take a cpl min break if you lose focus or tired)...stand up and keep hunting...it only takes 1 hit(strike) to change or make a trip or year.....Will you be ready when it happens? or will you be thinking you shld have gone somewhere else????
It takes a certain personality walk up to acres of area .. grab your weapon of choice and starting hunting for something inch by inch and hope you and that trophy cross paths...Happy Hunting!!! :cool:

It has been about 9 months since this thread started and in that time I have had my best season in this hobby so far.
"Quitting for lack of good finds" is a statement that I found hard to wrap my head around in February, and even more so now.
I always believed it is all about attitude...and I still do.
High expectations can be a problem, especially when those expectations don't come true, but I still believe it is much better to go into this with the idea that those finds are not the only important thing this hobby brings to the table.

Yes, I have been lucky in my silver, gold and clad totals this year...all record breaking stuff for me and I consider myself blessed, but those finds are not the best things that have happened to me this year while digging in the dirt.

There are a few other things I found that have no worth at all, like my first crotal bell, a headset from an old original wireless radio, some odd challenge coins and tokens.
These finds have given me even more pleasure than most others, in a strange way, because the process of researching these odd finds and discovering the history of each object enlightened me and made me very happy.
These relatively useless things I have freed from the earth that might have lain there hidden and buried forever if I didn't dig them up, and the fact that I did is important to me.
We are after all, "Digging History", here, aren't we?

One of the best quality finds I made this year was the friendships I have cultivated after joining my first MD club.
A bunch of people that love this hobby like I do, and make hunts even more fun when we hunt together and gather for our meetings, club hunts and events is actually priceless to me...worth every stupid zincoln I have ever dug and will continue to be if that is all I ever dug from this day forward.

Several times this year members on this forum have thanked me and gave me a little credit for utilizing a small tip or idea I posted which helped them find something great...and you guys have no idea how much this stuff pleases me and how happy it makes me feel.
In these cases I did not dig a thing, but I still count these experiences as a "quality find".

Like most hobbies and other things in life, some "leap before they look" and burn out quickly, others end up staying in for the long haul.
Me, I believe I will keep swinging until the day I can't lift a detector anymore.

Well I must be CRAZY. I’ve been at this hobby since 1974. I still remember my first coin a 1944 Mercury Dime. I’ve had my ups and downs with the hobby, I’ve had Hot and Cold Streaks finding coins and jewelry but I’d never consider quitting. I enjoy the research, enjoy the outdoors and the sight of Gold or Silver coming out of the ground. I’ve hunted beaches after a storm, I’ve found gold nuggets in the mountains and old coins in construction sites. I’ve reunited lost rings with owners and met some great people. I don’t think we will ever run out of places to hunt or treasures to find. The biggest treasure of this hobby is getting out in the fresh air, exercise, making memories and good friends forever. Just like fishing, fishing takes a little work and patience otherwise it would be called catching. Metal detecting requires a little work and lots of patience but the rewards are there so don't give up. A metal detector in the closet will only take up room. HH.

Going with a few different people I can see why you would if all you hunted was public places. That is why research is key. Do the research. It pays off big time

I received my 1st metal detector as a gift from my father when I was 17 or 18 years of age and I am now 58. I have had a few times since then when I didn't own a detector of some sort but not many. I never thought of the hobby as anything except just that. No quick get rich schemes, no dreams of buried treasure, just having fun finding stuff. I have always been a coinshooter and don't really find allot of valuable items but every coin that I dig up gives me a since of accomplishment. I have added many nice coins to the small coin collection that my father left me and that's good enough for me. As many have said, it's not the kill for me as much as the fun of the hunt. If people are quitting the hobby that early then they are getting into it with the wrong attitude. I love metal detecting especially with friends and the fun that I have is worth more than money to me.

I would have quit long ago had it not been for finding new, good friends to hunt with. IMO, anyone who ever thinks about getting into metal detecting needs to understand that the available hunt areas are tight these days. If you are shy about door knocking, or you have coastal beaches you can hunt...you WILL be sad in a short time. Almost every newbie over rates this hobby and over-buys. Don't do that! martin

I started detecting in 1999 but gave it all up around 2004 becasue I was tired of digging pennies all the time. Those years off made me want to get back in. I am in it for the long haul. I just bought my mxt pro last year and I just received my new garrett at pro yesterday. Im all set for 2013! I been finding more and digging less junk with the newer detectors. ITs nice to have a screen with VDI and tone ID.

Been at it since march, first ever unit atpro. Best choice for me ever! Don't get to the shore much. Just found some silvers in a field, greatist feeling ever.... It's those three four empty hunts in a row that can get you feeling discouraged. Doesn't apply to me I'm happy to get back out there evrytime..
I also havnt been bored once since march.

Back
Top Bottom